World Association for Online Education (WAOE) invites active global scholars

  • Steve McCarty
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 9, 2012
      +++++++ start forwarded message, with apologies for cross-posting +++++++

      One of the first global virtual organizations, the WAOE is a free academic association for
      individual educators concerned with distance education, e-learning, and online education.
      We are not just seeking to increase membership but rather to give active educators an
      opportunity to make a difference in this sometimes murky field, by collaborating with
      other idealistic educators around the world. We started in 1998 with the purpose of
      turning online education into a new professional discipline, and as an international NGO
      now we see much more to do. So with renewed energy, we are calling for active new members.

      Please take a glance at some of the current WAOE elected and appointed officers:

      President: Prof. Steve McCarty, Osaka Jogakuin College and University, Japan
      Vice-President: Dr. John Afele, U.S.-West Africa Group, Tunisia / Ghana
      Membership Chair: Dr. Ramesh Sharma, Indira Gandhi National Open University, India
      Executive Secretary: Dr. Jodi Richardson-Delgado, Mesa Community College, U.S.
      Treasurer: Mike Holmwood, retired Division Chair, Langara College, Canada
      Chief Technology Officer: Ms. Victoria Ramirez, EFL Teacher / Designer, Mexico
      Cyber-Parliamentarian: Michael Warner,Tempe H.S. / Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, U.S.
      Publicity Coordinator: Dr. Begum Ibrahim, MARA Institute of Technology, Malaysia
      Publications Coordinator: Dr. David Sidwell, Utah State University, U.S.
      Journal Editor-in-Chief: Dr. Rozhan Idrus, Open & Distance Learning, Universiti Sains Malaysia
      Officer At-Large: Dr. Gary Wixom, Assistant Commissioner, Utah System of Higher Education, U.S.

      Volunteers are sought for Research Coordinator, Program Coordinator, Associate Editors, etc.

      To reassure everyone, we have endorsements from scholars familiar with WAOE history:
      Society for College and University Planning senior executive Terry Calhoun recently
      called the WAOE a "very good organization." UNC Chapel Hill Professor Emeritus of
      Educational Leadership James L. Morrison added: "with an important mission."

      Dr. Ramesh Sharma writes: "As a member of the WAOE we look forward to your input, ideas,
      insights, interviews, write-ups, videos, etc. on online education. You may like to share
      innovative practices at your institution so that other members can benefit from them too."

      The WAOE is establishing the _International Journal of Online Education_,
      using our imagination to accommodate various categories and media besides double-blind
      reviewed papers. It will be an online journal and an open educational resource. Join us
      as a contributor or section editor for a content area, language, or world region.

      We have opened up our moderated discussion list WAOE-Views so you can join directly:
      http://groups.google.com/group/waoe-views

      You can also like us on Facebook to share resources: http://www.facebook.com/waoepage

      It is best to study our main Web pages (Home, Vision, More About Us, and Archives),
      then go to the Participation page to become a member for free and join WAOE-Views:
      http://www.waoe.org/

      e-mail membership questions: rc_sharma@... | to volunteer: waoe@...

      +++++++
      Collegially, Steve McCarty, WAOE President (1998-2007, 2012-)
      Professor, Osaka Jogakuin College / Osaka Jogakuin University, Japan
      Online library of publications: http://waoe.org/steve/epublist.html

      +++++++ end forwarded message, please share where appropriate +++++++
    • Steve McCarty
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2012
        We have a number of editors for the planned International Journal of Online Education,
        but there is room for more. Associate Editors could have a column on a topic area, a
        geographical region, or a language other than English. It involves membership in the
        organization described below, and the only obligation is to participate in the relevant
        communication channels. We would like to be more fully representative of world regions.

        Incidentally, academics particularly in the liberal arts (which includes language teaching!)
        would probably be interested in a new series starting with the article below. Before
        completely reconstituting Academia in cyberspace, the subject of a future series, people
        concerned with academic ideals may like to clarify what it is that should be reconstituted.

        "What is the Academic Life? 1. General Answers to Essential Questions"
        Education India Journal, Vol. 1, Issue 3, August 2012, pp. 6-12. Changed URL:
        http://www.educationindiajournal.org/journal/50Final%20New%20Uploading.pdf

        Collegially,
        Steve McCarty