MOOC's and the Open Masters Program

  • John Hibbs
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 22, 2012
      http://www.openmastersprogram.com/
      With particular reference to what they say about
      >Incorporating existing tools for open learning into the program,
      >such as: Citizen Circles, KCDC classes, skillshares, Peer 2 Peer
      >University courses.

      I (gulp, gulp) have signed up for. the course. I do it because the
      http://mechanicalmooc.org/faq.html and what this (OpenMasters) course
      is all about was very, very compelling.

      As I read it, the providers are searching for something between a
      "wide open" -- you bring your own tools, you, as a student, better be
      prepared for life in the deep end of the pool -- to a "more
      organized" "narrower" "platform". Of course they are also interested
      in reaching those, at many experience levels, interested in either
      teaching on line, or learning on line. That's every Webhead on
      planet; who have lead this Parade for a long, long time!

      NOTE:. The information about it was acquired from some very smart
      folks taking a "Fantasy" course, out of the University of Michigan,
      organized by Coursera. Those blind copied know who you are. My thanks
      for being patient with all the flashlights you have provided. As most
      of the Webheads know, I need all the help I can get. Thank you all.

      John
    • Vanessa Crary Vaile
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 22, 2012
        John

        I'm cc'ing multiliteracies too, although I suspect there is substantial overlap. I am running on xMOOCoursera overload so will pass on It's Alive! Articles coming out the same day I submitted FrankenEssay to #fantasysf may be an omen but one I will have to ignore.

        The Master's concept is intriguing and will surely have vast numbers of traditional educators out with pitchforks and torches. I must admit to some concern about the Open Masters organizer emphasis being on "learner entrepreneurs" rather than "educators." I hope the these are not the same folk who have been pushing programs so disastrous to K-12 education and that teachers will have a voice.

        According to the About pagesays, "We are creating an experience together to take ownership of our higher education." Who are the eponymous "we"? And why are there no names on the page? Imo transparency is part of "open."

        Behind on everything, so back to the days' multitasking,

        Vanessa Vaile
        "Who am I kidding, I'm from the Internet. I just live in Mountainair NM."
        (as adapted from a  someone else's Coursera introduction)