Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Your advice requested

  • Barbara Dieu
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 8, 2012
      Hi Nina,
      Like Michael, I would tend to use wikispaces and Google - however, as
      I wrote some mails before, Wordpress is announcing a learning
      management platform for this fall, which allied to Buddy press may be
      a winner.
      http://wpmu.org/wordpress-as-a-learning-management-system-move-over-blackboard/

      One tool, whose format looks interesting for questions, is Stack
      Exchange and there is an English site for English language and usage -
      you may want to open one for grammar :-)
      http://english.stackexchange.com/

      B.

      --
      Barbara Dieu
      http://barbaradieu.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 8, 2012
        Vance's message is, as usual, of enormous help; and (I suppose) we
        should thank him mightily for it.

        On the other hand, maybe he should be harshly scolded, flamed to
        bits, told to get his head on straight!

        For Gosh Sakes, Vance -- Enjoy every single second at the Black Sea.
        Tbilisi is, I know, Old World fascinating, almost like going back to
        Lisbon circa 1920's. The beer's good, so is the cheese, everything
        is a fraction of that in the West....people to see, places to go,
        things to do.....and there you sit, writing messages to your herd!!!
        Like a world class race horse made to plough a muddy field in a hard
        rain. Shame. Shame. Shame,.

        Why not just go out and RUN!!!

        But, we love you Vance, in spite of your faults. Don't ever forget that!!!!

        John Hibbs

      • John Hibbs
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 8, 2012
          Bee: Do you have, or can you point me to someone who does, a single
          Web Page which has a List, "Approved by Webheads" one sentence
          about each, and then a link to the tool provider. I'm sure it's
          somewhere; but where should I look first?

          At 7:05 AM -0300 8/8/12, Barbara Dieu wrote:
          >Hi Nina,
          >Like Michael, I would tend to use wikispaces and Google - however, as
          >I wrote some mails before, Wordpress is announcing a learning
          >management platform for this fall, which allied to Buddy press may be
          >a winner.
          >http://wpmu.org/wordpress-as-a-learning-management-system-move-over-blackboard/
          >
          >One tool, whose format looks interesting for questions, is Stack
          >Exchange and there is an English site for English language and usage -
          >you may want to open one for grammar :-)
          >http://english.stackexchange.com/
          >
          >B.
          >

          >--
          >Barbara Dieu
          >http://barbaradieu.com
          >http://beespace.net

        • Holly Dilatush
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 8, 2012
            Hello John, all,
            re: "Bee: Do you have, or can you point me to someone who does, a single
            Web Page which has a List, "Approved by Webheads" one sentence
            about each, and then a link to the tool provider. I'm sure it's
            somewhere; but where should I look first?"

            I'm certainly not Bee, but came across this today (I think it was via one
            of Larry Ferlazzo's posts, but not sure?)

            http://edte.ch/blog/?page_id=424

            and liked the organization and simplicity

            There are so many ways of collecting, curating, bookmarking, tagging these
            days.

            The EVO and BAW pbworks pages for each year organize references to tools
            well, too.

            and of course, there's the diigo list that Elizabeth (Dr. Elizabeth
            Hanson-Smith) started and maintains http://www.diigo.com/user/Call_is_vsl

            Holly

          • Barbara Dieu
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 8, 2012
              Thanks for the link to Tom Barrett, Holly. I did not have that one.

              Another tool list I have bookmarked in my Delicious is Project Bamboo,
              <http://dirt.projectbamboo.org/> a registry of digital research tools
              for scholarly use. Many of the tools came from Lisa Spiro's Dirt list:
              https://digitalresearchtools.pbworks.com/w/page/17801672/FrontPage

              B.

              --
              Barbara Dieu
              http://barbaradieu.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 8, 2012
                Nina,
                Your question has sparked an interesting list of responses. It is
                fascinating to glimpse a bit of how each of our minds work.

                I'm eagerly anticipating this WordPress for LMS that's due this fall.

                I'm also curious to see which direction you'll choose to take for this new
                journey/commitment of yours (hope you'll share with us).

                An informal survey of what the volunteers are familiar with might be useful
                = [ie: How often have you / do you: use Facebook / read blogs / Skype /
                Twitter / YouTube / post to discussion forum ... and so on]

                and their access (ease, frequency, and device)

                I find the answers still fall on a wide continuum in most groups I meet
                with. Knowing some sense of how much immediate enthusiasm and 'buy-in'
                might influence your choice, too.

                my two cents --

                Best wishes for smooth sailing ahead,
                Holly

                On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 11:39 PM, Nina Liakos <nina.liakos@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > I've been asked to serve on the academic advisory board of a big ESL
                > program staffed primarily by volunteers. I want to set up a website

              • Daniel Bassill
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 8, 2012
                  Hi all,

                  I'm planning on hosting a discussion in the Webheads forum on Sunday, August 26 focused on Volunteer Recruitment. I hope that some of you will join in since you're talking about engaging volunteers. If we can talk about how we recruit volunteers we can also begin to talk about how we train and support them and what roles we want volunteers to take in connecting young people with all the ideas available on the web. See the schedule at http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded

                  I'd like to follow up on this with another session in early October and again the week of November 19 when I'm hosting a Tutor/Mentor Conference in Chicago. These sessions would focus on sharing volunteer training and support ideas across the group. You all have great ideas and experience and if we can share perhaps we can encourage others beyond Webheads who connect volunteer tutors with youth to participate and learn from us while sharing their own ideas.

                  Dan Bassill
                  Tutor/Mentor Connection
                  Tutor/Mentor Institute, LLC

                  PS: Nellie, this is something I'd be willing to co-host with you via WizIQ as well.

                  >Your question has sparked an interesting list of responses. It is
                  >fascinating to glimpse a bit of how each of our minds work.
                  >
                  >I'm eagerly anticipating this WordPress for LMS that's due this fall.
                  >
                  >I'm also curious to see which direction you'll choose to take for this new
                  >journey/commitment of yours (hope you'll share with us).
                  >
                  >An informal survey of what the volunteers are familiar with might be useful
                  >= [ie: How often have you / do you: use Facebook / read blogs / Skype /
                  >Twitter / YouTube / post to discussion forum ... and so on]
                  >
                  >and their access (ease, frequency, and device)
                  >
                  >I find the answers still fall on a wide continuum in most groups I meet
                  >with. Knowing some sense of how much immediate enthusiasm and 'buy-in'
                  >might influence your choice, too.
                  >
                  >my two cents --
                  >
                  >Best wishes for smooth sailing ahead,
                  >Holly
                  >
                  >On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 11:39 PM, Nina Liakos <nina.liakos@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> **
                  >>

                  >> I've been asked to serve on the academic advisory board of a big ESL
                  >> program staffed primarily by volunteers. I want to set up a website

                • Vance
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 9, 2012
                    Hi, I agree that this is question of Nina's gets at the crux of teaching and learning online. The question basically is, what is the best combo of tools to do that available at this moment, presumably for free, so that any teacher can set it up tomorrow, and teach in a way that those taught can set up theirs.

                    I suggested an experiment in seeing how Posterous works, and I think John sent his last email on this thread cc'd to the posting address I put in my mail to the group, my original post. This was therefore submitted as a post to the blog http://vancestevens.posterous.com/.

                    I was surprised that happened because this blog has a number of followers, but no members (apart from me). This should mean that no one but me (or members, in case you wish to enroll your class) should be able to post using that email address.

                    However, John was not able to post without moderation. I received an email saying that a post had been attempted and asking me to approve it. Since i wished to experiment, I did, and that is why John's post appears there (it should have been sent as a comment to my post). But I received a mail saying this post had been made, and I replied to that to leave a comment on the post (click on the Response button to see it).

                    However, what I intended is that anyone wishing to experiment would request to be a member of this blog. I would approve the membership, and then you would receive notices, as I do, that someone has posted to this blog, or commented on a post.

                    So the steps are FIRST become a member of the blog. When you have done that, make a comment on one of the existing posts there. I'll receive notification that you have commented. I'll reply to your comment, and you (once you are a member) should get a notification that I have commented on your comment, and should you wish to carry on the conversation, you can reply via email to the notification you receive. This is the point of the experiment, to see how posting and commenting on blogs via email might fit in with what you are trying to accomplish in your teaching/learning setting.

                    The look and feel of this is, I think, what Nina is looking for. But as with many of our social networking tools, the look and feel is ineffable; it has to be experienced and experimented with in order to see how you might apply it in your class or working group. This in my view is the great value of Webheads. For over a decade now we have managed to not only inform one another about tools that are available, but to actually try out and explore these tools, which is the way we actually learn them.

                    Thanks for participating in this experiment, Vance