Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Online grammar checkers?

  • Dilip Barad
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 6, 2012
      Grammarly.com

      Dilip Barad,
      www.dilipbarad.com
      http://dilipbarad.blogspot.com
      (from Samsung Galaxy Tablet)
      On Aug 6, 2012 8:15 PM, "Claire" <csiskin@...> wrote:

      > Dear Webheads,
      >
      > Could you please recommend your favorite online grammar checker?
      >
      > Thanks very much,
      > Claire
      >
      > Claire Bradin Siskin
      > Director
      > ESL Writing Online Workshop (ESL-WOW)
      > http://eslwow.org
      > Excelsior College
      > csiskin@...
      > http://www.edvista.com/claire

    • Claire
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 7, 2012
        Thanks, Dilip.

        Claire

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 8, 2012
          As I explain elsewhere on this list I have a day of hanging out in Batumi,
          Georgia, and as it's relaxed, I'm checking emails.

          I haven't used Grammarly.com with students yet, not as far as making it a
          part of their normal workflow. For that I use, or insist that THEY use,
          the tools at their disposal. If they write a blog post, I insist they load
          it into Word for spell and grammar checking, and Google Docs will also do a
          bit of highlighting with red undersquiggly.

          I personally monitor the writing of over 80 students and with necessity
          being the mother of invention, I refuse to do the preliminary checking of
          the obvious. If the student hasn't made an attempt to use some tool, I
          don't have time to manually mark it up, and I just pop it back at them.

          So in my situation this is a great topic and I hope we can make it the
          subject of one of our http://learning2gether.pbworks.com sessions this
          September. Perhaps Claire and Dillip would like to schedule a Sunday for
          it? We can then focus our research on a date, and one of my adages is
          "nothing focuses like a good deadline!" Let us know if you'd like to set
          one.

          Vance

          On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 10:42 PM, Claire <csiskin@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Thanks, Dilip.
          >
          > Claire
          >

          > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Dilip Barad <dilipbarad@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Grammarly.com
          > >
          > > Dilip Barad,
          > > www.dilipbarad.com
          > > http://dilipbarad.blogspot.com
          > > (from Samsung Galaxy Tablet)
          > > On Aug 6, 2012 8:15 PM, "Claire" <csiskin@...> wrote:
          > > >

          > > > Dear Webheads,
          > > >
          > > > Could you please recommend your favorite online grammar checker?
          > > >
          > > > Thanks very much,
          > > > Claire
          > > >
          > > > Claire Bradin Siskin
          > > > Director
          > > > ESL Writing Online Workshop (ESL-WOW)
          > > > http://eslwow.org
          > > > Excelsior College
          > > > csiskin@...
          >
          > > > http://www.edvista.com/claire

          Vance Stevens
          http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
          http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

        • Barbara Dieu
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 8, 2012
            The link to the new Wordpress coming up this fall is
            http://wplms.org/

            B.

            --
            Barbara Dieu
            http://barbaradieu.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 8, 2012
              Advice, worth far more than it costs:
              "When Bee speaks, listen up."

              Thanks Bee. I've always liked WP, probably the most powerful engine
              still under wraps for those not watching this landscape very
              carefully. Between Mooc's. Word Press, Posterious, and strong,
              creative links to the Job Market (via Tutor Mentor) what else is
              needed except a world class expert teaching the class? Oh, yes, a
              "Certificate" branded by Stanford, Harvard, Oxford or Cambridge.
              That is until the next generation (of employers) figures out that
              those needing the brand may not be the best of the crop.

              All thoughts welcome. Especially since Webheads has led this parade
              for a very long time, who better to watch closely?