Online grammar checkers?

  • Claire
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 6 7:45 AM
      Dear Webheads,

      Could you please recommend your favorite online grammar checker?

      Thanks very much,
      Claire

      Claire Bradin Siskin
      Director
      ESL Writing Online Workshop (ESL-WOW)
      http://eslwow.org
      Excelsior College
      csiskin@...
      http://www.edvista.com/claire
    • Dilip Barad
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 6 8:52 AM
        Grammarly.com

        Dilip Barad,
        www.dilipbarad.com
        http://dilipbarad.blogspot.com
        (from Samsung Galaxy Tablet)
        On Aug 6, 2012 8:15 PM, "Claire" <csiskin@...> wrote:

        > Dear Webheads,
        >
        > Could you please recommend your favorite online grammar checker?
        >
        > Thanks very much,
        > Claire
        >
        > Claire Bradin Siskin
        > Director
        > ESL Writing Online Workshop (ESL-WOW)
        > http://eslwow.org
        > Excelsior College
        > csiskin@...
        > http://www.edvista.com/claire

      • Claire
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 7 11:42 AM
          Thanks, Dilip.

          Claire

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 8 2:11 AM
            As I explain elsewhere on this list I have a day of hanging out in Batumi,
            Georgia, and as it's relaxed, I'm checking emails.

            I haven't used Grammarly.com with students yet, not as far as making it a
            part of their normal workflow. For that I use, or insist that THEY use,
            the tools at their disposal. If they write a blog post, I insist they load
            it into Word for spell and grammar checking, and Google Docs will also do a
            bit of highlighting with red undersquiggly.

            I personally monitor the writing of over 80 students and with necessity
            being the mother of invention, I refuse to do the preliminary checking of
            the obvious. If the student hasn't made an attempt to use some tool, I
            don't have time to manually mark it up, and I just pop it back at them.

            So in my situation this is a great topic and I hope we can make it the
            subject of one of our http://learning2gether.pbworks.com sessions this
            September. Perhaps Claire and Dillip would like to schedule a Sunday for
            it? We can then focus our research on a date, and one of my adages is
            "nothing focuses like a good deadline!" Let us know if you'd like to set
            one.

            Vance

            On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 10:42 PM, Claire <csiskin@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Thanks, Dilip.
            >
            > Claire
            >

            > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Dilip Barad <dilipbarad@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Grammarly.com
            > >
            > > Dilip Barad,
            > > www.dilipbarad.com
            > > http://dilipbarad.blogspot.com
            > > (from Samsung Galaxy Tablet)
            > > On Aug 6, 2012 8:15 PM, "Claire" <csiskin@...> wrote:
            > > >

            > > > Dear Webheads,
            > > >
            > > > Could you please recommend your favorite online grammar checker?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks very much,
            > > > Claire
            > > >
            > > > Claire Bradin Siskin
            > > > Director
            > > > ESL Writing Online Workshop (ESL-WOW)
            > > > http://eslwow.org
            > > > Excelsior College
            > > > csiskin@...
            >
            > > > http://www.edvista.com/claire

            Vance Stevens
            http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
            http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

          • Barbara Dieu
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 8 3:16 AM
              The link to the new Wordpress coming up this fall is
              http://wplms.org/

              B.

              --
              Barbara Dieu
              http://barbaradieu.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 8 6:59 AM
                Advice, worth far more than it costs:
                "When Bee speaks, listen up."

                Thanks Bee. I've always liked WP, probably the most powerful engine
                still under wraps for those not watching this landscape very
                carefully. Between Mooc's. Word Press, Posterious, and strong,
                creative links to the Job Market (via Tutor Mentor) what else is
                needed except a world class expert teaching the class? Oh, yes, a
                "Certificate" branded by Stanford, Harvard, Oxford or Cambridge.
                That is until the next generation (of employers) figures out that
                those needing the brand may not be the best of the crop.

                All thoughts welcome. Especially since Webheads has led this parade
                for a very long time, who better to watch closely?