Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Slow Web/Clock of the Long Now

  • John Hibbs
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3 9:52 AM
      Further thoughts on the Slow Web:

      On reflection, the article reminded me of one of my Most Favorite of
      All Time Books: The Clock of the Long Now, by Stuart Brand. Brand's
      argument is that the act of building a 10,000 Year Clock is to have
      a strong reminder - for the next 10,000 years -- that both plant
      survival and human "conditionality" depend on how well society
      "thinks intergenerationally". A terrific, Slow Web read!
      http://longnow.org/clock/

      Note: My spell check for intergenerationally took me to Wikipedia --
      which is also interesting.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intergenerational_equity

      Many, many Webheads could have a great good time in that New York
      cafe where the discussion about Slow Web took place...

      or in - London? Rio? San Francisco? Abu Dhabi? B.A.? Seoul? Or,
      possibly, on a make-believe ship led by a make belive captain?
      (submitted for a http://coursera.com class I'm struggingn with.
      http://oregonhibbs.com/2012/07/28/make-believe-captains-make-believe-voyages/

      Forgive me? I digress easily, after a tough week struggling with
      Fantasy/SciFi . That too deserves discussion, to include for sure,
      the Slow Web, Stuart Brand, lead by Barbara Dieu and Coursera
      https://class.coursera.org/fantasysf-2012-001/class/index
      (The professor who runs the course talks about some glitches...I
      might call them flat tires that never should have happened; or been
      fixed with Olympic bike-racing speed!)

      Enough! Thanks again Bee. You are a remarkable sleuth.

      Hibbs, earlier

      At 7:58 AM -0300 8/3/12, Barbara Dieu wrote:
      >I thought you all might enjoy reading this article during the weekend.
      >Enjoy your time :-)
      >http://blog.jackcheng.com/post/25160553986/the-slow-web
      >B.

      John Hibbs
      http://oregonhibbs.com
    • Barbara Dieu
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3 10:01 AM
        I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as I did, John. I got it through a friend.
        B.

        --
        Barbara Dieu
        http://barbaradieu.com