iGoogle's imminent demise and a quest for a new homepage

  • Nina Liakos
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 29, 2012
      Dear Webheads,

      I've been using iGoogle as my homepage for several years, with quick access to gmail as well as Google Calendar, Reader, and Translate, a simple to-do list, several international clocks and a weather forecast. I am not sure why Google feels the need to discontinue this (something about apps? But not everyone lives in smart-phone-land), but who knows why Google does what it does. Anyway, perhaps in anticipation of its coming demise, iGoogle has been so slow to load lately that I usually just skip it and open gmail directly instead.

      I remember some webheads sharing what they were using for homepages a while back, like PageFlakes (? do I remember that correctly?). Do any of you have suggestions for me? Is there something out there that's open-source, easy to use, and could incorporate things like Google Calendar--in short, that could seamlessly take the place of iGoogle? Or, lacking that, would you mind sharing what you use as your homepage?

      Thanks,

      Nina
    • Michael Coghlan
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 29, 2012
        Hi Nina.

        You're right - Pageflakes is an option for replacing your iGoogle
        Homepage. As are Protopage and Netvibes. There may be others that I
        don't know about. I've used Protopage for several years (see http://protopage.com/michaelc), but I can't see an easy way of
        displaying the Google Calendar without making it public.

        - Michael

        >I've been using iGoogle as my homepage for several years, with quick
        >access to gmail as well as Google Calendar, Reader, and Translate, a
        >simple to-do list, several international clocks and a weather
        >forecast. I am not sure why Google feels the need to discontinue this
        >(something about apps? But not everyone lives in smart-phone-land),
        >but who knows why Google does what it does. Anyway, perhaps in
        >anticipation of its coming demise, iGoogle has been so slow to load
        >lately that I usually just skip it and open gmail directly instead.
        >
        >I remember some webheads sharing what they were using for homepages a
        >while back, like PageFlakes (? do I remember that correctly?). Do any
        >of you have suggestions for me? Is there something out there that's
        >open-source, easy to use, and could incorporate things like Google
        >Calendar--in short, that could seamlessly take the place of iGoogle?
        >Or, lacking that, would you mind sharing what you use as your homepage?
        >
        >Thanks,
        >
        >Nina

      • Barbara Dieu
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 29, 2012
          Nina,
          I have used wikispaces for many years. It allows you to create pages on the
          fly with different degrees of permission and it's a wonderful tool for
          collaboration as well. You can insert a number of different widgets.
          An old example:
          http://lycee.wikispaces.com/
          B.

          PS. And for those who favour LMS Wordpress has launched its own, which is
          worth looking at.
          http://wplms.org/

          --
          Barbara Dieu
          http://barbaradieu.com

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 29, 2012
            > PS. And for those who favour LMS Wordpress has launched its own, which
            is worth looking at.
            http://wplms.org/
            Correction: will launch next fall.

            --
            Barbara Dieu
            http://barbaradieu.com

          • Rita
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 30, 2012
              Yes, Nina, as much as I love Google Apps, I've always stuck with Protopage, at protopage.com, very user-friendly! Another homepage host is Symbaloo http://www.symbaloo.com/, a visual social bookmarking site which allows you to create webmixes of your favourite Web sites. I use both with different browsers..., but just because I started using Protopage many years ago I prefer it ;-)

              Hope you find this info useful, love from Rosario,

              Rita

              --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Nina Liakos" <nina.liakos@...> wrote:

              > Dear Webheads,
              >
              > I've been using iGoogle as my homepage for several years, with quick access to gmail as well as Google Calendar, Reader, and Translate, a simple to-do list, several international clocks and a weather forecast. I am not sure why Google feels the need to discontinue this (something about apps? But not everyone lives in smart-phone-land), but who knows why Google does what it does. Anyway, perhaps in anticipation of its coming demise, iGoogle has been so slow to load lately that I usually just skip it and open gmail directly instead.
              >
              > I remember some webheads sharing what they were using for homepages a while back, like PageFlakes (? do I remember that correctly?). Do any of you have suggestions for me? Is there something out there that's open-source, easy to use, and could incorporate things like Google Calendar--in short, that could seamlessly take the place of iGoogle? Or, lacking that, would you mind sharing what you use as your homepage?
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Nina

            • Ramona Dietrich
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 30, 2012
                Hi Nina,

                I've been experimenting lately with a tool called Symbaloo .  It's a great place to help organize our tools and lives.  You might want to check it out (http://www.symbaloo.com/).

                They have an educational version to get you started.  You can create and share pages (each page is called a webmix) that you have put together with others.  You can create a webmix with links to your calendar, weather, email acct, etc.

                They have a special Symbaloo Education edition (SymbalooEDU Personal Learning Environment)which allows you to connect with students and other teachers.  This is the version that I use.  You can check it out here: http://www.symbalooedu.com/

                Here is an example of a page I am creating that has links to class blogs that I have. (I also teach Computer Technology and these links relate to that, but it gives you an idea of how it works).  http://www.symbaloo.com/mix/computertechnology%c2%a0.

                Hope this helps.

                Beijinhos from Portugal,

                Ramona

              • John Hibbs
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 30, 2012
                  Hi All: I have been following posts (such as about symbaloo) and
                  have spent time looking at the sites mentioned..and where they led
                  me. Thank you.

                  Now, for those of you who "traveled' on Global Learn Day, you might
                  recall we used software from http://voice-alert.com -- long ago,
                  sadly, dead and buried. (Including all those web pages of every GLD
                  who presented.) :(

                  Here's what Voice Alert offered

                  a) An online form that was so simple to fill out that a 4th grader
                  could do it. When finished completing the form, you could generate a
                  VERY personal web page with your name, email address (if you wished),
                  photo, biographic details, details about your presentation, and three
                  links to whatever links would be helpful to learn more about you. A
                  harbinger to Facebook, Linked-In - but MUCH simpler.

                  b) After the page was created, you received an email with a phone
                  number and you could then make an ordinary call and record whatever
                  you wanted -- 20 seconds, or 20 minutes, your choice. Then, you
                  could listen to the recording by visiting your Web Page and click the
                  link Listen to Joe Smith Here.

                  Slicker than owl poop.

                  Now, what I am looking for is something that is just that simple
                  (without the phone recording, I dont think it's out there). But I
                  would love to find a provider that had something as slick; that was
                  also something that where the data could be mined...as did
                  Voice-Alert --- We got details of how many visits to each Presenter
                  Page, plus easy ways to SHARE the links, I think even before.

                  I must be missing something. There must be something "out there"
                  which would do what Voice Alert did many, many moons ago.

                  Cheers.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 1, 2012
                    Thanks, Ramona, Michael, Bee, Rita and anyone else who wrote to recommend replacements for my iGoogle homepage! I have lots of check out. Webheads rock!
                    Nina

                  • Behice Ceyda Cengiz
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 3, 2012
                      ________________________________

                      Dear group members,

                      I am Ceyda Cengiz, an MA student at Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey. I am a friend and colleague of Sedat Akayoğlu, who kindfully helps me a lot in my academic studies and shows me new directions. I feel myself like I am very new at academic studies and I feel the need to improve myself each and every day. But as you can imagine, sometimes you do not know how to do this, especially if you are at the beginning. During my readings, I've come to realize that CALL is a very good area to work on, a very beneficial one. I have been trying to follow some journals, but I do not know how I can be very proficient in this field. Sedat told me I could write to you, so I wrote to you with my hopes to have some suggestions about how I can improve myself in this field and what I should do. I am very motivated and only need some guidance or suggestions.

                       I will be looking forward to hearing some suggestions.Thank you so  so so much:)))

                      Greeting to you, all from Ankara
                      Ceyda

                    • Maria Ines
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 3, 2012
                        Hello dear Behice
                        I'm Maria from Argentina; I've just read your mail and I'm happy you came to this wonderful group of people.
                        I came across Webheads almost 4 years ago and all I know about ITC's and web 2.0 tools I owe to them.
                        I guess a lot of people will reply this mail to you so... read them all!
                        One big piece of advice is to take up some of the EVO online sessions, esp "BaW" (Becoming a Webhead) during January. There are lots of sessions offered by TESOL/EVO which you can take during this complete month. In due time you may receive a mail with all the courses available. I did it and I'm so happy as I've learnt a lot with the group.
                        I do hope I have helped you a bit.
                        Smiles, Maria :)

                        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Behice Ceyda Cengiz <behiceceydacengiz@...> wrote:

                        > ________________________________
                        >

                        > Dear group members,
                        >
                        > I am Ceyda Cengiz, an MA student at Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey. I am a friend and colleague of Sedat Akayoğlu, who kindfully helps me a lot in my academic studies and shows me new directions. I feel myself like I am very new at academic studies and I feel the need to improve myself each and every day. But as you can imagine, sometimes you do not know how to do this, especially if you are at the beginning. During my readings, I've come to realize that CALL is a very good area to work on, a very beneficial one. I have been trying to follow some journals, but I do not know how I can be very proficient in this field. Sedat told me I could write to you, so I wrote to you with my hopes to have some suggestions about how I can improve myself in this field and what I should do. I am very motivated and only need some guidance or suggestions.
                        >
                        >  I will be looking forward to hearing some suggestions.Thank you so  so so much:)))
                        >
                        > Greeting to you, all from Ankara
                        > Ceyda

                      • Behice Ceyda Cengiz
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 3, 2012
                          Dear Maria,

                          Thank you so much for your help. I will participate in January sessions. I guess I will get an e-mail, maybe a link for attending the sessions. Or is there anything else I should do to participate?

                          Sincerely
                          Ceyda

                          ________________________________
                          Kimden: Maria Ines <mariabossa1@...>
                          Kime: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
                          Gönderildiği Tarih: 3 Ağustos 2012 21:24 Cuma
                          Konu: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: asking for help

                          Hello dear Behice
                          I'm Maria from Argentina; I've just read your mail and I'm happy you came to this wonderful group of people.
                          I came across Webheads almost 4 years ago and all I know about ITC's and web 2.0 tools I owe to them.
                          I guess a lot of people will reply this mail to you so... read them all!
                          One big piece of advice is to take up some of the EVO online sessions, esp "BaW" (Becoming a Webhead) during January. There are lots of sessions offered by TESOL/EVO which you can take during this complete month. In due time you may receive a mail with all the courses available. I did it and I'm so happy as I've learnt a lot with the group.
                          I do hope I have helped you a bit.
                          Smiles, Maria :)

                          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Behice Ceyda Cengiz <behiceceydacengiz@...> wrote:

                          > ________________________________
                          >

                          > Dear group members,
                          >
                          > I am Ceyda Cengiz, an MA student at Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey. I am a friend and colleague of Sedat AkayoÄŸlu, who kindfully helps me a lot in my academic studies and shows me new directions. I feel myself like I am very new at academic studies and I feel the need to improve myself each and every day. But as you can imagine, sometimes you do not know how to do this, especially if you are at the beginning. During my readings, I've come to realize that CALL is a very good area to work on, a very beneficial one. I have been trying to follow some journals, but I do not know how I can be very proficient in this field. Sedat told me I could write to you, so I wrote to you with my hopes to have some suggestions about how I can improve myself in this field and what I should do. I am very motivated and only need some guidance or suggestions.
                          >
                          >  I will be looking forward to hearing some suggestions.Thank you so  so so much:)))
                          >
                          > Greeting to you, all from Ankara
                          > Ceyda

                        • Maria Ines
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 3, 2012
                            Hello again! :)
                            I guess you will get a mail here with all the possible sessions for you to choose. I think this is the only thing you need to participate. Someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.
                            Count on me for whatever you might need.
                            More smiles, Maria :)

                            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Behice Ceyda Cengiz <behiceceydacengiz@...> wrote:

                            > Dear Maria,
                            >
                            > Thank you so much for your help. I will participate in January sessions. I guess I will get an e-mail, maybe a link for attending the sessions. Or is there anything else I should do to participate?
                            >
                            > Sincerely
                            > Ceyda
                            >

                            > ________________________________
                            > Kimden: Maria Ines <mariabossa1@...>
                            > Kime: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
                            > Gönderildiği Tarih: 3 Ağustos 2012 21:24 Cuma
                            > Konu: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: asking for help
                            >

                            > Hello dear Behice
                            > I'm Maria from Argentina; I've just read your mail and I'm happy you came to this wonderful group of people.
                            > I came across Webheads almost 4 years ago and all I know about ITC's and web 2.0 tools I owe to them.
                            > I guess a lot of people will reply this mail to you so... read them all!
                            > One big piece of advice is to take up some of the EVO online sessions, esp "BaW" (Becoming a Webhead) during January. There are lots of sessions offered by TESOL/EVO which you can take during this complete month. In due time you may receive a mail with all the courses available. I did it and I'm so happy as I've learnt a lot with the group.
                            > I do hope I have helped you a bit.
                            > Smiles, Maria :)
                            >
                            > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Behice Ceyda Cengiz <behiceceydacengiz@> wrote:
                            > >

                            > > ________________________________
                            > >

                            > > Dear group members,
                            > >
                            > > I am Ceyda Cengiz, an MA student at Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey. I am a friend and colleague of Sedat AkayoÄŸlu, who kindfully helps me a lot in my academic studies and shows me new directions. I feel myself like I am very new at academic studies and I feel the need to improve myself each and every day. But as you can imagine, sometimes you do not know how to do this, especially if you are at the beginning. During my readings, I've come to realize that CALL is a very good area to work on, a very beneficial one. I have been trying to follow some journals, but I do not know how I can be very proficient in this field. Sedat told me I could write to you, so I wrote to you with my hopes to have some suggestions about how I can improve myself in this field and what I should do. I am very motivated and only need some guidance or suggestions.
                            > >
                            > >  I will be looking forward to hearing some suggestions.Thank you so  so so much:)))
                            > >
                            > > Greeting to you, all from Ankara
                            > > Ceyda

                          • Behice Ceyda Cengiz
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 3, 2012
                              Thank you, Maria.

                              Ceyda

                              Kimden: Maria Ines <mariabossa1@...>
                              Kime: evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
                              Gönderildiği Tarih: 3 Ağustos 2012 22:22 Cuma
                              Konu: Yan: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: asking for help