Re: Learning2gether with John Hibbs next Sunday July 22 about Open Courses, new age learning 1400 GMT

  • John Hibbs
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 19, 2012
      Set my alarm? Vance, just wait until you are my age...when sleep
      comes hard, from about 3 a.m. onward. :)

      See you Sunday.

      At 2:12 PM +0400 7/19/12, Vance Stevens wrote:
      >Hi everyone,
      >
      >I'll be out of touch from about now until Sunday but before the
      >event I will have updated
      ><http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded#Nextupcomingevent>http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded#Nextupcomingevent
      >
      >to give more details about our chat this Sunday with the venerable John Hibbs
      >
      >John, if you don't hear from me by Sat night set your alarm for a
      >cup of coffee short of 8 a.m. in Eugene
      >
      >Everyone else, see you at 1400 GMT Sunday July 22

    • Vance
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 22, 2012
        Hi folks,

        John Hibbs are sitting in Elluminate as we speak. We're about to talk about open courseware. And we're going to talk about old times as well.

        If you want to join us you can check out http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded
        for all relevant details. You'll see we're going with Elluminate today.

        attend to this IMPORTANT msg
        Note that the old ELLUMINATE chat room now has a NEW url
        http://learningtimesevents.org/webheads/

        I've created a Mozilla MoPad for us to crowdsource what we know about open course resources (free sights where learning is getting to be of higher and higher quality). Please contribute here:
        https://etherpad.mozilla.org/5smRWPyzRB

        Hope that some of you will join us, anytime from now, 1400 to 1500 GMT.

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I'll be out of touch from about now until Sunday but before the event I
        > will have updated
        > http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded#Nextupcomingevent
        >

        > to give more details about our chat this Sunday with the venerable John
        > Hibbs
        >
        > John, if you don't hear from me by Sat night set your alarm for a cup of
        > coffee short of 8 a.m. in Eugene
        >
        > Everyone else, see you at 1400 GMT Sunday July 22
        >
        > --
        > Vance Stevens
        > http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
        > http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

      • Carla arena
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 22, 2012
          Dear Vance and John,

          Wonderful compilation of resources in Etherpad. Thanks for sharing that!

          Vance, loved the new layout for the Learning Times Webheads office. Much
          more intuitive for participants to get in. Fantastic job!

          *Carla Arena
          * | http://collablogatorium.blogspot.com
          [image: Facebook] <https://www.facebook.com/carlaarena> [image:
          Twitter]<http://twitter.com/carlaarena> [image:
          LinkedIn] <http://linkedin/in/carlaarena>
          <http://pinterest.com/carlaarena/>

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 22, 2012
            Lovely conversation last night, add to our crowdsourced notes if you like: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/5smRWPyzRB

            Screenshot and recording
            http://screencast.com/t/7YbxFqYAamZ
            https://sas.elluminate.com/p.jnlp?psid=2012-07-22.0450.M.7AE801FFB697DA460D4BF25AA8C21B.vcr&sid=75
            http://tinyurl.com/2012jul22hibbs

            Vance will be traveling next few weeks. Anyone is welcome to post an event at http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded

            Just join the wiki and write it in. If I don't know you by name then I'll make you a reader when you do that, so write me and let me know you're a contributor and I'll make you a write (I end up cleaning spam too often if I don't forestall it, sadly).

            The old URL for Elluminate no longer works (Nina Liakos, take note :-)

            However the new one works well (the same actually) http://learningtimesevents.org/webheads/

            and as with the old one, if you want to host an event, scroll down and find the secret session moderator entry (shhh, don't tell anyone :-).

            I'll be back hosting on Aug 26,

            Vance

            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Vance" <vancestev@...> wrote:

            > Hi folks,
            >
            > John Hibbs are sitting in Elluminate as we speak. We're about to talk about open courseware. And we're going to talk about old times as well.
            >
            > If you want to join us you can check out http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded
            > for all relevant details. You'll see we're going with Elluminate today.
            >
            > attend to this IMPORTANT msg
            > Note that the old ELLUMINATE chat room now has a NEW url
            > http://learningtimesevents.org/webheads/
            >
            > I've created a Mozilla MoPad for us to crowdsource what we know about open course resources (free sights where learning is getting to be of higher and higher quality). Please contribute here:
            > https://etherpad.mozilla.org/5smRWPyzRB
            >
            > Hope that some of you will join us, anytime from now, 1400 to 1500 GMT.
            >
            > Vance
            >

            > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Vance Stevens <vancestev@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi everyone,
            > >
            > > I'll be out of touch from about now until Sunday but before the event I
            > > will have updated
            > > http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded#Nextupcomingevent
            > >

            > > to give more details about our chat this Sunday with the venerable John
            > > Hibbs
            > >
            > > John, if you don't hear from me by Sat night set your alarm for a cup of
            > > coffee short of 8 a.m. in Eugene
            > >
            > > Everyone else, see you at 1400 GMT Sunday July 22
            > >
            > > --
            > > Vance Stevens
            > > http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
            > > http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

          • chaouki mkaddem
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 22, 2012

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 23, 2012
                https://etherpad.mozilla.org/5smRWPyzRB

                Yikes!!!!! This is vastly superior to what Wikipedia could do!!

                Carla; Make no mistake, the posts to the etherpad were entirely the
                work of Vance. He should be in London gathering Gold for Olympian
                work of extraordinary dimension.

                P.S. I will be using the links to help motivate me into a blog post
                about "free" universal courseware. There is of course no free lunch.
                But so it seems to users of Google, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and
                all the "free" courses, information, blog sites, etc. etc. now
                available to anyone with Smart Phone or browser. A tidal wave, well
                underway.

              • Squires, Robert
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 23, 2012
                  It looks as though this was open for editing, so I added a comment :).

                  There's some debate on whether Coursera, etc. actually are MOOC's due to their lack of use of materials that can be remixed and repurposed. (Khan Academy has some issues here as well). They're essentially massive, online, open for enrollment, proprietary courses - MOOEPC. You can't create your own courses based on their content as the licensing doesn't permit it. It's not easy to go that step further and be completely open. OERu are doing some work in this area: http://wikieducator.org/OER_university/Home, but the design of their courses is based on the look and feel of Wikipedia (ouch). I wonder if Mopad can support open course design more effectively.

                  Robert