Re: [evonline2002_webheads] FYI: cost of online courses plus cool point about video lectures

  • Gavin Dudeney
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 7, 2012
      Oh...
      > Study <mailto:dwinet@...>
      > 7 June 2012 16:30
      >

      > Udacity's engineers are learning which little things they need to get
      > right. The company's production studio carefully avoids full-body
      > shots of professors lecturing; that makes for tiresome viewing.
      > Instead, most footage consists of ***close-up shots of instructors
      > writing out key lecture points on a digital tablet***. Clever editing
      > speeds up long words. When everything clicks, one instructor says, "it
      > feels like a personal tutorial.".

      Seriously? Education speeded up so people don't have to bother with
      'long words'? Lingering shots of people writing on the modern equivalent
      of the blackboard? I thought we'd moved a long way beyond that...

      Gavin

      Gavin Dudeney - Director of Technology, The Consultants-E
      c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
      Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770
      http://www.theconsultants-e.com

      Original Online Providers: CertIBET and CertICT - http://tinyurl.com/3s3mm7
      Winners: 2007 British Council ELTON award - http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54
      Winners: 2007 Ben Warren Trust Prize - http://tinyurl.com/6yolo4
      Owners: Second Life EduNation sims - http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw

      CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE
      This email and any attachments are private and confidential. It is
      intended for the recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient,
      any use, disclosure, distribution, printing or copying of this email is
      unauthorised. You may not read, use or take any action in reliance on
      it. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender
      immediately by replying to this email and permanently delete the email
      from your computer. The contents of any attachments to this e-mail may
      contain software viruses which could damage your own computer system.
      While we have taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk,
      we cannot accept liability for any damage which you sustain as a result
      of software viruses. You should carry out your own virus checks before
      opening any attachments.

    • Study
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 8, 2012
        I took it to mean that people get bored watching something online as opposed to being in a real room with a real teacher and real students, and that speeding things up a bit would help alleviate that.

        In any event what I really liked about the post was the idea of online study groups for online classes -- a way to connect with real people while still enjoying the advantages of online education over offline.