Learning2gether with Curt Bonk - recording info published - Next up, Laine Marshall June 10

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 6, 2012
      Hi everyone,

      Check out what Laine Marshall has in store for us next Sunday June 10
      http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded#Nextupcomingevent

      She's putting forward three reasons to flip your classroom, look at
      the materials there, looks to be a good one.

      Laine was with us last Sunday when we had a great chat, almost 2
      hours, with Curt Bonk. We covered connectivism and learning
      management and learning theories, openness and Blackboard, Curt's
      recommended reading list, and of course his MOOC which he just wrapped
      up on June 3.

      The Elluminate recording was available minutes after the session ended
      https://sas.elluminate.com/p.jnlp?psid=2012-06-03.0623.M.7AE801FFB697DA460D4BF25AA8C21B.vcr&sid=75
      or: http://tinyurl.com/2012jun03bonk
      so I tweeted that

      But before posting this one to our podcast archive, I decided to make
      an MP3 recording. That's what held up the skunk works. For a while I
      was using Bb Collaborate / Elluminate Publish to get recordings, but
      my demo version expired, so I tried to record using Audacity, but
      found out through trial and mostly error, and then reading the help
      pages, that Audacity doesn't record from only the sound card, it
      records the mic and well, which the help pages pointed out, but also
      recommended for sound card recording something called Freecord, which
      I downloaded. Freecord installs as a plugin in Firefox and works well
      to get sound card audio (such as YouTube videos) but it creates dozens
      of tiny files that then need to be pieced together in Audacity. That
      took forever. There's gotta be a better way.

      (So I revisited the Publish site and downloaded the software without
      no nagging about trial period this time, and right now I'm converting
      some more Elluminate recordings to MP3).

      Meanwhile, two hours of audio reconstruction the slow way created 98
      megabyte mp3 file which I tried uploading to Posterous, because
      Posterous normally accepts audiovisual media and can be configured to
      display it in a player and podcast it. But Posterous was timing out
      from all computers at my home and office today and even updating text
      in posts was timing out. So I finally uploaded the the mp3 to my
      Dropbox, and the link to that created the player you see at the
      archive link in Posterous.
      http://learning2gether.posterous.com/learning2gether-with-curt-bonk-instructional

      Finally in order to get it truly podcast I uploaded it to my Podomatic account.
      http://vance_stevens.podomatic.com/entry/index/2012-06-06T05_15_17-07_00
      http://vance_stevens.podomatic.com/player/web/2012-06-06T05_15_17-07_00

      One reason I like to upload audio to Posterous is I've discovered that
      if I post a link with media to Scoop.It, that site will display the
      post with a media player embedded, resulting in a wall of audio links,
      so I've been gradually "scooping" all of our Learning2gether sessions.
      I've got them done up through the end of 2010
      http://www.scoop.it/t/learning2gether/

      Finally I posted links to all of the above at our various Facebook spaces
      http://www.facebook.com/groups/evomlit
      http://www.facebook.com/groups/webheadsinaction/
      http://www.facebook.com/groups/learning2gether/

      And now I'm going to tweet all this

      Enjoy,

      --
      Vance Stevens
      http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 6, 2012
        Vance,

        If you (or a friend) have access to a Mac, Audio Hijack Pro will pretty
        much record anything you choose for it to record - system audio, system
        with mic, capture from any piece of software you chose, etc...

        Best,

        Gavin

> [...]
        > Dropbox, and the link to that created the player you see at the
        > archive link in Posterous.
        > http://learning2gether.posterous.com/learning2gether-with-curt-bonk-instructional
        >
        > Finally in order to get it truly podcast I uploaded it to my Podomatic
        > account.
        > http://vance_stevens.podomatic.com/entry/index/2012-06-06T05_15_17-07_00
        > http://vance_stevens.podomatic.com/player/web/2012-06-06T05_15_17-07_00
        >
        > One reason I like to upload audio to Posterous is I've discovered that
        > if I post a link with media to Scoop.It, that site will display the
        > post with a media player embedded, resulting in a wall of audio links,
        > so I've been gradually "scooping" all of our Learning2gether sessions.
        > I've got them done up through the end of 2010
        > http://www.scoop.it/t/learning2gether/
        >
        > Finally I posted links to all of the above at our various Facebook spaces

        Gavin Dudeney - Director of Technology, The Consultants-E
        c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
        Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770
        http://www.theconsultants-e.com

        Original Online Providers: CertIBET and CertICT - http://tinyurl.com/3s3mm7
        Winners: 2007 British Council ELTON award - http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54
        Winners: 2007 Ben Warren Trust Prize - http://tinyurl.com/6yolo4
        Owners: Second Life EduNation sims - http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw

        CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE
        This email and any attachments are private and confidential. It is
        intended for the recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient,
        any use, disclosure, distribution, printing or copying of this email is
        unauthorised. You may not read, use or take any action in reliance on
        it. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender
        immediately by replying to this email and permanently delete the email
        from your computer. The contents of any attachments to this e-mail may
        contain software viruses which could damage your own computer system.
        While we have taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk,
        we cannot accept liability for any damage which you sustain as a result
        of software viruses. You should carry out your own virus checks before
        opening any attachments.

      • c chee
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 6, 2012
          Vance, I use audacity to record pandora.com.
          1.  goto sound/recording/mic/disable mic/turn on soundcard mix
          2.  goto  audacity/record

          Listen to the quiet thunder and remember.
          Peace starts with communication.

          Chee,   www.realteachers.org  www.voicelearning.com
          email: bchee@...

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 6, 2012
            Vance, and friends,

            I posted a blog article today connecting business concepts such as "creating shared effort" with the idea of MOOCs which were discussed last weekend and which I've been following in the work of Webheads and others. http://tutormentor.blogspot.com/2012/06/d-day-team-effort-shared-value-model.html

            I point to leadership needed from the business community because I feel they recognize the urgency of finding new ways to prepare more young people for the types of jobs they need to fill in coming years. They also have the resources to support a MOOC like process on a global scale.

            Thanks for bringing us all together.

            Daniel F. Bassill, D.H.L.
            Tutor/Mentor Connection
            Tutor/Mentor Institute, LLC

> [...]
            >
            >CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE
            >This email and any attachments are private and confidential. It is
            >intended for the recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient,
            >any use, disclosure, distribution, printing or copying of this email is
            >unauthorised. You may not read, use or take any action in reliance on
            >it. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender
            >immediately by replying to this email and permanently delete the email
            >from your computer. The contents of any attachments to this e-mail may
            >contain software viruses which could damage your own computer system.
            >While we have taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk,
            >we cannot accept liability for any damage which you sustain as a result
            >of software viruses. You should carry out your own virus checks before

          • Study
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 7, 2012
              (emphasis added)

              Thanks to a global boom in cheap, high-speed Internet connectivity, such ***courses can be beamed around the world for just 50 cents to $1 per student***. That makes mass teaching much more affordable than it was a few years ago. Just as important, the rise of Facebook, Twitter and other social networks means that today's students are comfortable forming multihour study groups with online acquaintances they've never met in the physical world.

              Udacity's engineers are learning which little things they need to get right. The company's production studio carefully avoids full-body shots of professors lecturing; that makes for tiresome viewing. Instead, most footage consists of ***close-up shots of instructors writing out key lecture points on a digital tablet***. Clever editing speeds up long words. When everything clicks, one instructor says, "it feels like a personal tutorial."

              (from http://www.kurzweilai.net/how-would-you-like-a-graduate-degree-for-100?utm_source=KurzweilAI+Daily+Newsletter&utm_campaign=f942b6ce00-UA-946742-1&utm_medium=email)
            • Gavin Dudeney
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 7, 2012
                Oh...
                > Study <mailto:dwinet@...>
                > 7 June 2012 16:30
                >

                > Udacity's engineers are learning which little things they need to get
                > right. The company's production studio carefully avoids full-body
                > shots of professors lecturing; that makes for tiresome viewing.
                > Instead, most footage consists of ***close-up shots of instructors
                > writing out key lecture points on a digital tablet***. Clever editing
                > speeds up long words. When everything clicks, one instructor says, "it
                > feels like a personal tutorial.".

                Seriously? Education speeded up so people don't have to bother with
                'long words'? Lingering shots of people writing on the modern equivalent
                of the blackboard? I thought we'd moved a long way beyond that...

                Gavin

                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 8, 2012
                  I took it to mean that people get bored watching something online as opposed to being in a real room with a real teacher and real students, and that speeding things up a bit would help alleviate that.

                  In any event what I really liked about the post was the idea of online study groups for online classes -- a way to connect with real people while still enjoying the advantages of online education over offline.