Re: New Webheads Online Community ... - is this legitimate???

  • Vance
    Message 1 of 28 , May 25 3:38 AM
      Again, sorry to be again addressing this tedious matter, but it helps me in communicating to this group to move carefully and also to think of proactive steps which will help achieve resolution of our problem.

      I have read the twitter rules of service more carefully and I think we are within our rights to file a stronger complaint than simply clicking on an option in a pull down menu. Specifically, where twitter says:

      If being spammed, report it here:
      https://support.twitter.com/articles/64986-how-to-report-spam-on-twitter

      It also says:

      "If you're experiencing an issue of spam or malware that's impacting your ability to use our service, please file a support request."

      Accordingly I have filed this support request
      http://screencast.com/t/Hvzs1eNcr
      which says ...

      I have reported the user @collaborative via the pulldown on his profile but it says at the Twitter help pages "If you're experiencing an issue of spam or malware that's impacting your ability to use our service, please file a support request." This is indeed the case. This user is committing the following violations: Abusing the @reply or @mention function to post unwanted messages to users and Repeatedly posting duplicate updates.

      As can be seen when you visit his page https://twitter.com/#!/collaborative all his tweets are maliciously directed at the users of the #tags and @mentions he targets. These are in every case educators and tags used by these educators to further their collaborative learning endeavors. If you visit the #tags via Twitter search you will see the nature of the sharing that is being attempted through use of these tags, and that the impact of James O'Reilly's tweet attacks are jarring, inappropriate, and decidedly meant to disrupt.

      This is where the educators concerned are "experiencing an issue of spam or malware that's impacting your ability to use our service" and if you agree that the user is violating Twitter's terms of service it would be of great benefit to the work the the serious educators impacted if this malicious Twitter profile could be removed.

      Thank you,
      VanceS

      Apart from the satisfaction of doing something positive about the situation and not simply being the silent and unempowered victim of social media abuse, I think it might help if others impacted would take similar measures and echo their support either by pulling down and clicking to report the violations as explained here:
      https://support.twitter.com/articles/64986-how-to-report-spam-on-twitter

      or by filing corroborating support requests,

      ^V^

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Vance" <vancestev@...> wrote:

      > I hope if he's reported and if his actions are documented, then we'll have a better chance of maintaining our community and ideals against the only force that's ever sought to disrupt what we achieve from working amicably together.
      >
      > best,
      > Vance

    • Mike
      Message 2 of 28 , May 25 11:19 AM
        Hi All,

        I think it is obvious that we should follow Vance's lead, and all of us should make the same complaint to Twitter - in our own words, or by using Vance's text as a guide.

        Many of you will remember, nearly 3 years ago when my Facebook account got hacked, when some weirdo was pretending to be me, having made a mirror of my Facebook page, contacting many of you as if this person were me, and asking you to send money (!) to help me out because I was supposedly stranded in Africa, etc, etc...

        This was such a nightmare that I wrote a message here on the good old YGroup, and at least 50 Webheads lodged a complaint with Facebook in my favor. It took Facebook 2 long months to react, but they finally shut down the hacker's mirror account of my own.

        Twitter might be as slow as FB to react in this case. And I'm sure FB reacted only because they received so many messages on the same subject concerning the same user.

        There IS stength in unity. We can and must fight back no matter how tedious it all seems. We all just have to do it, following Vance's "instructions" below.

        My 2 cents,

        Mike M.

      • nina.lyulkun@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 28 , May 25 12:04 PM
          *Dear Vance **and Mike**,

          I've done that already.

          Thank you for letting us know how to do that and being that proactive,
          Vance.

          Have a nice weekend.
          Nina
          *

        • Nina Liakos
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 1, 2012
            Thanks for the suggestion, Vance. I've done it.

            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 2, 2012
              Same here, Vance.

              Nice weekend, everyone!

              Hugs, Teresa

              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 2, 2012
                *I did it some days ago.*
                *
                *
                *See you tomorrow at Learning2gether.*
                *
                *
                *The best,*
                *Nina
                *
                On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 7:51 PM, Teresa Almeida d'Eca
                <teresadeca@...>wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Same here, Vance.
                > Nice weekend, everyone!
                > Hugs, Teresa
                >

                > On 02-06-2012 0:18, Nina Liakos wrote:
                > >
                > > Thanks for the suggestion, Vance. I've done it.
                > >
                > > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com
                > > <mailto:evonline2002_webheads%40yahoogroups.com>, "Vance"
                > > <vancestev@...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Apologies for prolonging this, ...
                > > >
                > > > I wonder if I could ask Webheads on this list to go to his profile
                > > at https://twitter.com/#!/Collaborative and pull down the arrow next
                > > to the 'head' icon and report the account for spam.

                *
                *
                [image: Blogger] <http://1morelcourse.blogspot.com/> [image:
                Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=572760950> [image: