Re: [evonline2002_webheads] ESL books favor girls?

  • Graham Stanley
    Message 1 of 2 , May 14 10:28 PM
      Dear Masoud,

      Your colleague raises an interesting point. She's not the only one who
      thinks boys are not being addressed by education today. The educational
      researcher Ali Carr-Chellman has an interesting Ted Talk on the subject,
      which I recommend:

      http://www.ted.com/talks/ali_carr_chellman_gaming_to_re_engage_boys_in_learning.html

      There has been research on this. Here's what the Boys project (stats from
      the US, but relevant to many parts of the world I think)
      http://www.boysproject.net/statistics.html) has found:

      "Since the late 1970's, young women have soared in college attendance while
      young men have stagnated. Young men's literacy is declining. Many young men
      are disengaging from school...We are losing young boys to a sense of
      failure that comes from schooling poorly adapted to their needs

      Here's an article on why boys don't read:
      http://www.c2educate.com/read-this-not-that/read-this-not-that-why-boys-dont-read/

      Raising Boys Achievement project (UK) http://www-rba.educ.cam.ac.uk/

      Their are lots more links to studies here:
      http://www.boysproject.net/resources.html

      Best,

      Graham

      Graham Stanley