Global Trends in Education - Round 3

  • Michael Coghlan
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2012
      Hi everyone - me again!

      Changing tack this time. Based on previous experiences attempting this
      kind of exercise, and heeding the advice of colleagues, I accept that
      it is unlikely that many are going to add data to the wiki for this exercise.

      So, if you would like to contribute, just send me your thoughts via
      email and I'll add them to the wiki.

      The two trends for this round are:

      5. Openness - concepts like open content, open data and open resources,
      along with notions of transparency and easy access to data and
      information - is moving from a trend to a value for much of the world.

      As authoritative sources lose their importance, there is need for more
      curation and other forms of validation to generate meaning in
      information and media.

      6. Legal notions of ownership and privacy lag behind the practices
      common in society.
      In an age where so much of our information, records, and digital
      content are in the cloud, and often clouds in other legal
      jurisdictions, the very concept of ownership is blurry.

      What are the implications for each of these trends in your institution?
      What are you doing already to accommodate these trends? Or, what could
      you do to accommodate them?
      - Michael

      ORIGINAL EMAIL
      In January one hundred educators from around the globe were invited to
      meet in Austin, Texas to mark the tenth anniversary of the New Media
      Consortium Horizon Project and reflect on no less than the future of
      education. A Communique from the event listed 10 Major Trends that are having an impact on education globally.

      WHAT ARE THE IMPLICATIONS OF THESE TRENDS ON THE GROUND?

      What I am particularly interested in is how these trends translate into
      reality? What are the implications for each of these trends in your
      institution? What are you doing already to accommodate these trends?
      Or, what could you do to accommodate them?

      To this end, and to hopefully get your input into these questions, I
      have created a public wiki at http://globaltrendsineducation.wikispaces.com/, and invite you to add
      your thoughts there on these questions.

      I have attempted to create a structure on the wiki to make it easier to
      add content, but feel free to ignore the headings and structure I have
      suggested and just add your contributions below the tables. Or if wikis
      are not your thing just email your responses back to me and I'll add
      them to the wiki.

      TIMEFRAME

      I am going to stretch this data gathering exercise out over a week or
      three and suggest focusing on TWO trends at a time. All 10 trends are
      listed at http://globaltrendsineducation.wikispaces.com/.

      Again, the two trends for this round are:

      5. Openness - concepts like open content, open data and open resources,
      along with notions of transparency and easy access to data and
      information - is moving from a trend to a value for much of the world.

      As authoritative sources lose their importance, there is need for more
      curation and other forms of validation to generate meaning in
      information and media.

      6. Legal notions of ownership and privacy lag behind the practices
      common in society.

      In an age where so much of our information, records, and digital
      content are in the cloud, and often clouds in other legal
      jurisdictions, the very concept of ownership is blurry.
      Now over to you! http://globaltrendsineducation.wikispaces.com/

      Thanks in advance,

      - Michael