Elderbob Brannan: Sad news

  • Anne Fox
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 26, 2012
      Dear All
      I just thought you would like to know the sad news that we lost Elderbob
      Brannan on April 23rd. I discovered this quite by chance while idly
      clicking around the New Webheads group on Facebook. Elderbob Brannan shared
      some fantastic wagon trail projects with us some years ago and was an
      advocate and living example of living life to the full at any age.

      Just thought you'd like to know.
      Anne

      --
      Anne Fox <http://annefox.eu/>
      Uni-Key <http://www.uni-key.eu/> Unleash your business potential!

    • Dennis Newson
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 26, 2012
        Anne,

        So glad you told us though it is devastating to learn that an "institution"
        is no longer with us.

        Dennis

        *

        *Dennis Newson*
        Formerly : University of Osnabrueck, GERMANY
        Committee member | Discussion List Manager, YLTSIG Online | IATEFL YLT SIG
        Creator: YLTSIG NING <http://ylandtsig.ning.com/>

        Committee member IATEFL GISIG: Members & Promotion

        Winner British Council ELT 05 Innovation Award
        Unrepentant grammarophobe
        YLTSIG Website <http://www.yltsig.org/>

        Yahoogroups YLTSIG: Subscribe: <:younglearners-subscribe@yahoogroups.com>

        YLTSIG Wiki resources:<http://yltsigwikiresource.pbworks.com/w/page/33485130/FrontPage>

        #YLTSIG Daily <http://paper.li/tag/yltsig>:
        Personal homepage <http://www.dennisnewson.de/>:

        Skype: *Osnacantab*
        Second Life: *Osnacantab Nesterov*

      • Aiden
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 26, 2012
          Thank you Anne for sharing this. It's sad to know that he's no longer with us, but he's spirit will be with the webheads always.

          Aiden

          Sent from my iPhone

          On 2012/4/26, at 15:21, Anne Fox <foxdenuk@...> wrote:

          > Dear All
          > I just thought you would like to know the sad news that we lost Elderbob
          > Brannan on April 23rd. I discovered this quite by chance while idly
          > clicking around the New Webheads group on Facebook. Elderbob Brannan shared
          > some fantastic wagon trail projects with us some years ago and was an
          > advocate and living example of living life to the full at any age.
          >
          > Just thought you'd like to know.
          > Anne
          >
          > --
          > Anne Fox <http://annefox.eu/>
          > Uni-Key <http://www.uni-key.eu/> Unleash your business potential!
          > UnderstandIT <http://aitel.hist.no/understandit/> An online structured,
          > multi stakeholder approach to planning e-learning
          > Absolutely Intercultural <http://www.absolutely-intercultural.com/> Winner
          > European Podcast Award 2010, Denmark non-profit

          > TODAY(Beta) • Powered by Yahoo!
          > Child bride has marriage annulled
          > Privacy Policy

        • Dafne
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 26, 2012
            Very sad news indeed.

            I´ve found this page where you can leave comments.

            Daf

            ________________________________

          • nina.lyulkun@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 26, 2012
              It's the saddest news. ;-(

              Where is the page, Dafne?

              Nina Lyulkun

              On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Dafne <dygonza@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Very sad news indeed.
              >
              > I´ve found *this page* where you can leave comments.
              >
              > Daf

            • Dafne
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 26, 2012
                Oops, the hyperlink did not show. Sorry!
                The link is this:
                https://plus.google.com/_/notifications/emlink?emrecipient=108252774641287652174&emid=CPDU-8DZvK8CFUaPQAodMFUAAA&path=%2F100734610161364595017%2Fposts%2FLExT74XNSAY%3Fgpinv%3DAMIXal83arC4IN2HG9KvwvDpX0a-N5lJvWruOwd_kkeGezQHGs5SzcHF8SwEHZGwBnDmFSB4cKmc_Cs8NALsxQczqL8jO54Wca2QrH7W9GxcX6aWiQGQEyU&dt=1334693704170

                Daf

                ________________________________
                > I´ve found *this page* where you can leave comments.
                >
                > Daf

              • Michael Coghlan
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 26, 2012
                  I'm really saddened to hear about Elderbob. He had been much less
                  active these last couple of years so I sensed that something was wrong.
                  I really enjoyed his company online. And his name kind of gave him an
                  elder statesman's right to shoot his mouth off and tell the truth. Not
                  that he ever shot his mouth off really. But he was a great communicator and had a lot to say - he
                  had strong opinions and voiced them, and a boundless energy for new
                  projects that were usually outside of the ordinary.
                  I keep a lot of old emails and I ironically just found this from Bob
                  from December 2006: "Truth is, we are all going to be dead and laying
                  in the ground, and the copyright issues are likely to not yet be
                  resolved. I'm not sure we can ever resolve them.....perhaps just learn
                  to live comfortably with them."
                  I guess I just kind of hoped he'd come back and join in things again. Take us on another cattle trail.
                  It was a real pleasure Bob - rest in peace friend.
                  - Michael

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 26, 2012
                    Dear Anne,

                    Very sad news, indeed. Strangely enough, he sometimes came to my
                    thoughts lately and I wondered how he was, but never got to send him a
                    private message.

                    He was a very lively person, with a great sense of humor and very strong
                    and insightful opinions, and will always be remembered fondly by the
                    Webheads.

                    Michael, I totally second your message, especially "I guess I just kind
                    of hoped he'd come back and join in things again. Take us on another
                    cattle trail. It was a real pleasure Bob - rest in peace friend."

                    It's a very sad day for all the Webheads.

                    Teresa

                    On 26-04-2012 8:21, Anne Fox wrote:

                    > Dear All
                    > I just thought you would like to know the sad news that we lost Elderbob
                    > Brannan on April 23rd. I discovered this quite by chance while idly
                    > clicking around the New Webheads group on Facebook. Elderbob Brannan
                    > shared
                    > some fantastic wagon trail projects with us some years ago and was an
                    > advocate and living example of living life to the full at any age.
                    >
                    > Just thought you'd like to know.
                    > Anne
                    >
                    > --
                    > Anne Fox <http://annefox.eu/>

                  • John Hibbs
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 26, 2012
                      I never met Bob either but we talked on the phone many times and,
                      like you, I felt a kindred spirit with him. In my case there was the
                      fact that if /anyone/ should be called an "elder" - it's me. I am
                      not sure how old Bob was; he never sounded "old". He was always
                      upbeat, friendly, should I say a "typical" Webhead? which of
                      course not true.

                      There is no such thing as a "typical" Webhead, other than I haven't
                      met one who wasn't friendly, smart, helpful, innovative and had a
                      good sense of humor, which most certainly Bob had in abundance.

                      That was Elder Bob.

                      Thanks to all for sharing.

                      P.S. Not snipping. Some threads are worth re-reading. Like this one.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 26, 2012
                        Thanks Daf for the link. I read Michael's comments posted here at the blog
                        and left this trace of my own passing:

                        I had numerous interactions with Elder Bob over the years and was involved
                        in many of his Elder Projects. It was at Bob's suggestion that we names our
                        Webheads in Action Online Convergences a convergence - http://wiaoc.org
                        It was a great pleasure to finally meet him in San Antonio in 2006. We
                        posted a photo at my website and linked to many other artifacts online from
                        the event. Not sure how many of these links still work, haven't
                        linksleuthed that page lately, but here it is:
                        http://prosites-vstevens.homestead.com/files/efi/chat2005/chat2005.htm#elderparty

                        My condolences to Bob's family and loved ones. We have all lost someone
                        very special, unusual, and socially as affable and astute as he was
                        networked. Bob was always ahead of his time. I think he's gone far beyond
                        the cutting edge now.

                        I hope these links can bring someone a fraction of the pleasure that Bob
                        brought us. Looking through them I'm finding most have lapsed. So I've
                        taken the trouble to tease out the most robust that remain

                        Here's Jane Petring's photo
                        http://family.webshots.com/photo/1313900626067926017FarJMD

                        Buthaina's show how EBob brought us hugs and kisses
                        http://alothman-b.tripod.com/tesol05_webheads.htm

                        There are some good ones in Elizabeth Hanson-Smith's slide show here
                        http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=ia9agi9.53240ifx&x=0&y=nb67ox
                        This is one of my faves from that collection
                        http://screencast.com/t/pICgRn6EQy

                        Elder Bob remains a larger than life virtual presence among Webheads
                        http://webheads.info

                        --
                        Vance Stevens
                        http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com

                      • John Hibbs
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 26, 2012
                          Vance: As always, yours is a great post. I enjoyed looking at all
                          the photos. Of course I envy all those who met Elder Bob in person.
                          (He's the only one I know with a waist line - slightly - bigger than
                          my own!

                          The reminder about the condolences to Bob's family was a nice tough.
                          He was "family" to all of us, that's for sure.

                          At 6:02 PM +0400 4/26/12, Vance Stevens wrote:
                          >Thanks Daf for the link. I read Michael's comments posted here at the blog
                          >and left this trace of my own passing:
                          >
                          >I had numerous interactions with Elder Bob over the years and was involved
                          >in many of his Elder Projects. It was at Bob's suggestion that we names our
                          >Webheads in Action Online Convergences a convergence - http://wiaoc.org
                          > It was a great pleasure to finally meet him in San Antonio in 2006. We
                          >posted a photo at my website and linked to many other artifacts online from
                          >the event. Not sure how many of these links still work, haven't
                          >linksleuthed that page lately, but here it is:
                          >http://prosites-vstevens.homestead.com/files/efi/chat2005/chat2005.htm#elderparty
                          >
                          >My condolences to Bob's family and loved ones. We have all lost someone
                          >very special, unusual, and socially as affable and astute as he was
                          >networked. Bob was always ahead of his time. I think he's gone far beyond
                          >the cutting edge now.
                          >
                          >I hope these links can bring someone a fraction of the pleasure that Bob
                          >brought us. Looking through them I'm finding most have lapsed. So I've
                          >taken the trouble to tease out the most robust that remain
                          >
                          >Here's Jane Petring's photo
                          >http://family.webshots.com/photo/1313900626067926017FarJMD
                          >
                          >Buthaina's show how EBob brought us hugs and kisses
                          >http://alothman-b.tripod.com/tesol05_webheads.htm
                          >
                          >There are some good ones in Elizabeth Hanson-Smith's slide show here
                          >http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=ia9agi9.53240ifx&x=0&y=nb67ox
                          >This is one of my faves from that collection
                          >http://screencast.com/t/pICgRn6EQy
                          >
                          >Elder Bob remains a larger than life virtual presence among Webheads
                          >http://webheads.info

                        • Susana Canelo
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 26, 2012
                            Feeling exactly that way.
                            Praying for his soul and his family.

                            Susana

                            ________________________________
                            Thank you Anne for sharing this. It's sad to know that he's no longer with us, but he's spirit will be with the webheads always.

                            Aiden

                            Sent from my iPhone

                            On 2012/4/26, at 15:21, Anne Fox <foxdenuk@...> wrote:

                            > Dear All
                            > I just thought you would like to know the sad news that we lost Elderbob
                            > Brannan on April 23rd. I discovered this quite by chance while idly
                            > clicking around the New Webheads group on Facebook. Elderbob Brannan shared
                            > some fantastic wagon trail projects with us some years ago and was an
                            > advocate and living example of living life to the full at any age.
                            >
                            > Just thought you'd like to know.
                            > Anne
                            >
                            > --
                            > Anne Fox <http://annefox.eu/>
                            > Uni-Key <http://www.uni-key.eu/> Unleash your business potential!
                            > UnderstandIT <http://aitel.hist.no/understandit/> An online structured,
                            > multi stakeholder approach to planning e-learning
                            > Absolutely Intercultural <http://www.absolutely-intercultural.com/> Winner
                            > European Podcast Award 2010, Denmark non-profit

                            > TODAY(Beta) • Powered by Yahoo!
                            > Child bride has marriage annulled
                            > Privacy Policy

                          • Dr. Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 27, 2012
                              I should have mentioned in my slideshow that ElderBob really brought us all together for the Webcast from the restaurant near the canals in San Antonia--he had that great idea for the Fiesta at our annual TESOL Webheads dinner party.

                              Another terrific project of his was blogging from a re-enactment of the pioneer trail through Texas, with real Conestoga wagons, oxen, and horses. (The site seems to be no longer around...)

                              We will miss his great creative mind.

                              --Elizabeth

                              --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, John Hibbs <skipper@...> wrote:

                              > Vance: As always, yours is a great post. I enjoyed looking at all
                              > the photos. Of course I envy all those who met Elder Bob in person.
                              > (He's the only one I know with a waist line - slightly - bigger than
                              > my own!
                              >
                              > The reminder about the condolences to Bob's family was a nice tough.
                              > He was "family" to all of us, that's for sure.
                              >

                              > At 6:02 PM +0400 4/26/12, Vance Stevens wrote:
                              > >Thanks Daf for the link. I read Michael's comments posted here at the blog
                              > >and left this trace of my own passing:
                              > >
                              > >I had numerous interactions with Elder Bob over the years and was involved
                              > >in many of his Elder Projects. It was at Bob's suggestion that we names our
                              > >Webheads in Action Online Convergences a convergence - http://wiaoc.org
                              > > It was a great pleasure to finally meet him in San Antonio in 2006. We
                              > >posted a photo at my website and linked to many other artifacts online from
                              > >the event. Not sure how many of these links still work, haven't
                              > >linksleuthed that page lately, but here it is:
                              > >http://prosites-vstevens.homestead.com/files/efi/chat2005/chat2005.htm#elderparty
                              > >
                              > >My condolences to Bob's family and loved ones. We have all lost someone
                              > >very special, unusual, and socially as affable and astute as he was
                              > >networked. Bob was always ahead of his time. I think he's gone far beyond
                              > >the cutting edge now.
                              > >
                              > >I hope these links can bring someone a fraction of the pleasure that Bob
                              > >brought us. Looking through them I'm finding most have lapsed. So I've
                              > >taken the trouble to tease out the most robust that remain
                              > >
                              > >Here's Jane Petring's photo
                              > >http://family.webshots.com/photo/1313900626067926017FarJMD
                              > >
                              > >Buthaina's show how EBob brought us hugs and kisses
                              > >http://alothman-b.tripod.com/tesol05_webheads.htm
                              > >
                              > >There are some good ones in Elizabeth Hanson-Smith's slide show here
                              > >http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=ia9agi9.53240ifx&x=0&y=nb67ox
                              > >This is one of my faves from that collection
                              > >http://screencast.com/t/pICgRn6EQy
                              > >
                              > >Elder Bob remains a larger than life virtual presence among Webheads
                              > >http://webheads.info

                            • chaouki mkaddem
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 28, 2012
                                Dear all,This Thursday, I hosted in my school Jason R. Levine, an American specialist who created an enjoyable and stress-free method to teach English and the creator of the famous Fluency MC. He teaches English through rhythm and rhyme. He proved that hip-hop is really an enjoyable and an effective way to teach English and other subjects through rap. He is conducting workshops for teachers and students as well in my country, Tunisia. His visit was a great success even national media (TV and radio) had interviews with him. I proposed to him to take part in the next EVO and agreed. So, if you find his work of great interest to promote learning, you can contact him. Here's the link to a youtube video about what he did in my school and the link to his youtube channel to watch his work.CheersChaoukihttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_W5AwaNwMM&feature=share%27%2C%29
                                http://www.youtube.com/user/collolearn?ob=0&feature=results_main

                              • Susana Canelo
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 28, 2012
                                  Wow Chaouki !!
                                  Thanks for sharing. Rhythm heps to create a relaxed and funny class atmosphere . That ways students, especially the young ones learn easily and they are encouraged to keep practicing outside the class when they're with friends.

                                  Thanks
                                  Susana

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 29, 2012
                                    I have never met Bob and never had a chance to talk to him, but heard lots
                                    of praiseworthy honorable mentions about him from webheads, and I can not
                                    stand apart and not to express my condolences to his family and all
                                    webheads for this great loss.
                                    May he rest in peace.

                                    -Nina Lyulkun