Re: [evonline2002_webheads] IATEFL recordings in Second Life

  • Gavin Dudeney
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 5, 2012
      Dennis,

      I know I sound like a damp squib, but why not just watch them in a
      browser window? Seems like a bandwidth hog to run SL and video...

      Gavin

      > Dennis Newson <mailto:djn@...>
      > 5 April 2012 14:34
      >
      > This is question for those with know-how of Second Life.
      >
      > There is a treasure trove of expertise to be shared in the recorded
      > interviews and recorded sessions from IATEFL's recent conference in
      > Glasgow.
      >
      > Unfortunately, when I try to show them on a media prim in Second Life
      > I get
      > the message: "Video forbidden. This video is private." And, yes, I do log
      > in to the IATEFL site inworld.
      >
      > Any suggestions?
      > --
      >
      > --
      > *
      >
      > *Dennis Newson*
      > Formerly : University of Osnabrueck, GERMANY
      > Committee member | Discussion List Manager, YLTSIG Online | IATEFL YLT SIG
      > Creator: YLTSIG NING <http://ylandtsig.ning.com/>
      >
      > Committee member IATEFL GISIG: Members & Promotion
      >
      > Winner British Council ELT 05 Innovation Award
      > Unrepentant grammarophobe
      > YLTSIG Website <http://www.yltsig.org/>
      >
      > Yahoogroups YLTSIG: Subscribe:
      > <:younglearners-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:younglearners-subscribe%40yahoogroups.com>>
      >
      > YLTSIG Wiki
      > resources:<http://yltsigwikiresource.pbworks.com/w/page/33485130/FrontPage>
      >
      > #YLTSIG Daily <http://paper.li/tag/yltsig>:
      > Personal homepage <http://www.dennisnewson.de/>:
      >
      > Skype: *Osnacantab*
      > Second Life: *Osnacantab Nesterov*

      Gavin Dudeney - Director of Technology, The Consultants-E
      c/ Ceramica 54, 08035 Barcelona, Spain
      Tel: +34 93 427 4240 | +44 20 7193 0770
      http://www.theconsultants-e.com

      Original Online Providers: CertIBET and CertICT - http://tinyurl.com/3s3mm7
      Winners: 2007 British Council ELTON award - http://tinyurl.com/3e2c54
      Winners: 2007 Ben Warren Trust Prize - http://tinyurl.com/6yolo4
      Owners: Second Life EduNation sims - http://tinyurl.com/34l8mw

      CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE
      This email and any attachments are private and confidential. It is
      intended for the recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient,
      any use, disclosure, distribution, printing or copying of this email is
      unauthorised. You may not read, use or take any action in reliance on
      it. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender
      immediately by replying to this email and permanently delete the email
      from your computer. The contents of any attachments to this e-mail may
      contain software viruses which could damage your own computer system.
      While we have taken every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk,
      we cannot accept liability for any damage which you sustain as a result
      of software viruses. You should carry out your own virus checks before
      opening any attachments.

    • dnewson2001
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 5, 2012
        I really take your point, Gavin. So be reassured that I was not actually planning to have people watching in SL in fact, in the context of YLTSIG, I shall be encouraging people to watch the recordings in their own time on their own browsers, and then write about them in an old-fashioned discussion list.

        It is the querulous user in me that keeps on asking: "WHY doesn't
        it work in SL?" "What have I done wrong now?"

        Dennis
      • Gavin Dudeney
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 5, 2012
          Dennis,

          Fair play!

          In terms of why it isn't working, I'm not sure - the only thing I can
          guess at is that the HOAP method of browsing in Second Life identifies
          itself as a non-standard browser and that the way the videos are set up
          prevents them being viewed 'outside the web'. Either that, or it's a
          cookie issue???

          Best,

          Gavin

        • Graham Stanley
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 5, 2012
            Hi Dennis,

            I think this due to the settings on the Glasgow Online video channel. By
            default, the videos are private and anyone who tries to embed them on their
            blog gets the message you get, unless they have registered to be a Glasgow
            Online official blogger.

            If this is what's happening, I'm not sure you'll be able to get them to
            work in SL, I'm afraid.

            Best,

            Graham

            On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 3:34 PM, Dennis Newson <djn@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > This is question for those with know-how of Second Life.
            >
            > There is a treasure trove of expertise to be shared in the recorded
            > interviews and recorded sessions from IATEFL's recent conference in
            > Glasgow.
            >
            > Unfortunately, when I try to show them on a media prim in Second Life I get
            > the message: "Video forbidden. This video is private." And, yes, I do log
            > in to the IATEFL site inworld.
            >
            > Any suggestions?
            > --

          • dnewson2001
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 5, 2012
              Graham,

              Thanks very much for that information. As I explained to Gavin, it was less a case of my needing to view the recordings in SL, rather wanting to know why it did not seem to be possible.

              I am happy enough being able to access them on my home browser!

              Dennis