Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: ds106

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 4 6:45 PM
      Hey Scott,

      Happy birthday

      If you want to talk this up on
      http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded the mic
      is currently open for Apr 29.

      best,
      Vance

      On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 3:36 AM, sacato <sacato@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hi Bee and Vance,
      >
      > Thanks for the encouraging feedback.
      >
      > I can well relate to the time consuming aspect of ds106. Imagine the time
      > involved trying to keep up with 40 students blogging and creating with
      > wreckless abandon.
      >
      > Here's an idea:: I will organize and run a short (2 - 3 week) micro-mini
      > MOOC (mmMOOC - gasp not another acronym) designed to introduce interested
      > Webheads to the mechanics and mindset of ds106. It seems this should be a
      > sufficient amount of time get a sense of what's on offer. From there we can
      > see if any are interested in further exploration.
      >
      > I'll shoot for running the first round in the final week of April with the
      > hope of making this mmMOOC a recurring event.
      >
      > If anyone wishes to lend a hand with organizing or brainstorming on the
      > development of this primer course, please get in touch.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Best,
      > scottlo
      > http://scottlo.com
      >

      > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Dieu <beeonline@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Scot,
      > >
      > > It was loads of fun (though a bit time consumint) for me to take part in
      > > ds106 and engage in the different assignments, many of which were
      > proposed
      > > by the students.
      > > http://beespace.net/out-of-the-box-and-off-the-hook/
      > > http://beespace.net/strange-correspondences-and-grand-harmonies/
      > >
      > > and I think there are many opportunities for us EFL teachers to benefit
      > > from the assignments and experiment with the way it is organized and
      > led. I
      > > am interested in your idea but can only join you mid-end May as will be
      > on
      > > the road as from mid April (eldest son getting married in Barcelona)
      > >
      > > Warm regards,
      > > B.
      > >

      > > --
      > > Barbara Dieu
      > > http://barbaradieu.com
      > > http://beespace.net

      Vance Stevens
      http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
      http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

    • sacato
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 5 7:08 AM
        Hi Vance,

        Thanks for the b-day wish.

        I'm thinking of beginning the mini MOOC on April 23 so learning2gether session on the 29th would be a idea. We can have some sort of synchronous session to review the progress, look forward and discuss the impressions and implications of ds106.

        I've been in contact with Jim Groom and Alan Levine and they are both fully onboard with the idea.

        One thing that will need to happen is for me to set up a Google form to collect particpants' names and blog RSS feeds so that they can pre-registered before we begin. I'll post details as soon as that's been set up.

        Additionally, I'm not sure about how to "volunteer for the mic" on the learning2gether wiki. Is it as simple as signing up for the wiki through pbwiki? Any advice would be appreciated.

        I'm hoping to have a blog post up announcing the mini MOOC at scottlo.com as soon as I can. Will post details here when that's done as well.

        Thanks.

        Best,
        scottlo

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 5 7:48 AM
          Scott,

          You're asking the right questions. Learning2gether is set up to be
          self-perpetuating, though in practice it has only partially worked that way
          so far.

          Anyone can request to join the wiki at http://learning2gether.pbworks.com

          If I recognize you (I know who you are or you have let me know you are
          subscribing with intent to contribute) I'll accept you as a writer. If I
          don't know you I'll accept you as a reader. That's just to prevent my
          having to stomp out fires set by spammers. I'm notified of all changes and
          can revert anything I think is changed in error, and I would like for this
          to run by people just signing themselves up.

          So far most people have let me write up their sessions and that's fine too.
          Dan Bassill (coming up on Apr 15) has been doing his own writeups for his
          session. But I don't mind writing it up for you if you want to present and
          don't want to hassle with the wiki. All contributions are appreciated.

          Also when you offer to present you can set your own time and even your own
          date. But traditionally the audience is there on Sundays between noon and
          1500 GMT. We don't have hard and fast rules about it. Beyza is doing a
          session on Apr 19 (not a Sunday).

          So if Sunday Apr 29 is good for you, give me a time (you know the Jeff
          lebow "sweet spot" 1400 GMT) and I'll pencil something in for you and you
          can go in and update later.

          Thanks for considering this (applies to Scott and anyone else considering
          this ... all mics are open in May so far ..)

          Vance

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 5 8:08 AM
            Thanks Vance,

            14:00 on the 29th will be great. I'll take you up on your offer to pencil something in which I can update later - big thanks for that.

            I've just made a preliminary blog post (mostly for self-accountability) about this: http://scottlo.com/?p=618

            It contains a link to a Google form for those interested in participating. The form can also be found here:
            http://goo.gl/H1vNh

            Will share more detailed thoughts in the next day or so.

            Best,
            Scott