ds106

  • sacato
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 4, 2012
      Dear Webheads,

      I'm wondering how many of you might be aware of the ds106 movement in online teaching and learning of digital storytelling (http://ds106.us).

      I've been involved for the past year and have taught a computer science class using the ds106 assignment bank and infrastructure (not in an esl/efl context).

      In the coming month, I'm hoping to explore the possibility of applying the ds106 approach to my esl/efl teaching. I have a hunch that some webheads might be drawn to the interesting and exciting possibilities that ds106 presents.

      I guess the purpose of this message is to see if anyone would be interested in joining in this endeavor.

      If so, please drop a line, get in touch via the skype (scottloradio) or the twitter (scottlo).

      Thanks and best regards,
      scottlo
      http://scottlo.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 4, 2012
        Scott,

        What took you so long to ask?? We've been waiting for such an impetus.

        I've caught lots of wind of Jim Groom and DS106, what some on Classroom 2.0
        (I think) are calling Dean Shareski 106. Popping by http://ds106.us/ I
        find a litany of links, too late for more on that (sorry, must sleep ..
        sleep ... ).

        Yes, please pull us into this movement. Drinking cool aid as we speak and
        then off to bed,

        Vance

        --
        Vance Stevens
        http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com

      • Barbara Dieu
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 4, 2012
          Hi Scot,

          It was loads of fun (though a bit time consumint) for me to take part in
          ds106 and engage in the different assignments, many of which were proposed
          by the students.
          http://beespace.net/out-of-the-box-and-off-the-hook/
          http://beespace.net/strange-correspondences-and-grand-harmonies/

          and I think there are many opportunities for us EFL teachers to benefit
          from the assignments and experiment with the way it is organized and led. I
          am interested in your idea but can only join you mid-end May as will be on
          the road as from mid April (eldest son getting married in Barcelona)

          Warm regards,
          B.

          --
          Barbara Dieu
          http://barbaradieu.com

        • sacato
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 4, 2012
            Hi Bee and Vance,

            Thanks for the encouraging feedback.

            I can well relate to the time consuming aspect of ds106. Imagine the time involved trying to keep up with 40 students blogging and creating with wreckless abandon.

            Here's an idea:: I will organize and run a short (2 - 3 week) micro-mini MOOC (mmMOOC - gasp not another acronym) designed to introduce interested Webheads to the mechanics and mindset of ds106. It seems this should be a sufficient amount of time get a sense of what's on offer. From there we can see if any are interested in further exploration.

            I'll shoot for running the first round in the final week of April with the hope of making this mmMOOC a recurring event.

            If anyone wishes to lend a hand with organizing or brainstorming on the development of this primer course, please get in touch.

            Thanks.

            Best,
            scottlo
            http://scottlo.com

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 4, 2012
              Hey Scott,

              Happy birthday

              If you want to talk this up on
              http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/w/page/32206114/volunteersneeded the mic
              is currently open for Apr 29.

              best,
              Vance

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 5, 2012
                Hi Vance,

                Thanks for the b-day wish.

                I'm thinking of beginning the mini MOOC on April 23 so learning2gether session on the 29th would be a idea. We can have some sort of synchronous session to review the progress, look forward and discuss the impressions and implications of ds106.

                I've been in contact with Jim Groom and Alan Levine and they are both fully onboard with the idea.

                One thing that will need to happen is for me to set up a Google form to collect particpants' names and blog RSS feeds so that they can pre-registered before we begin. I'll post details as soon as that's been set up.

                Additionally, I'm not sure about how to "volunteer for the mic" on the learning2gether wiki. Is it as simple as signing up for the wiki through pbwiki? Any advice would be appreciated.

                I'm hoping to have a blog post up announcing the mini MOOC at scottlo.com as soon as I can. Will post details here when that's done as well.

                Thanks.

                Best,
                scottlo

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 5, 2012
                  Scott,

                  You're asking the right questions. Learning2gether is set up to be
                  self-perpetuating, though in practice it has only partially worked that way
                  so far.

                  Anyone can request to join the wiki at http://learning2gether.pbworks.com

                  If I recognize you (I know who you are or you have let me know you are
                  subscribing with intent to contribute) I'll accept you as a writer. If I
                  don't know you I'll accept you as a reader. That's just to prevent my
                  having to stomp out fires set by spammers. I'm notified of all changes and
                  can revert anything I think is changed in error, and I would like for this
                  to run by people just signing themselves up.

                  So far most people have let me write up their sessions and that's fine too.
                  Dan Bassill (coming up on Apr 15) has been doing his own writeups for his
                  session. But I don't mind writing it up for you if you want to present and
                  don't want to hassle with the wiki. All contributions are appreciated.

                  Also when you offer to present you can set your own time and even your own
                  date. But traditionally the audience is there on Sundays between noon and
                  1500 GMT. We don't have hard and fast rules about it. Beyza is doing a
                  session on Apr 19 (not a Sunday).

                  So if Sunday Apr 29 is good for you, give me a time (you know the Jeff
                  lebow "sweet spot" 1400 GMT) and I'll pencil something in for you and you
                  can go in and update later.

                  Thanks for considering this (applies to Scott and anyone else considering
                  this ... all mics are open in May so far ..)

                  Vance

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 5, 2012
                    Thanks Vance,

                    14:00 on the 29th will be great. I'll take you up on your offer to pencil something in which I can update later - big thanks for that.

                    I've just made a preliminary blog post (mostly for self-accountability) about this: http://scottlo.com/?p=618

                    It contains a link to a Google form for those interested in participating. The form can also be found here:
                    http://goo.gl/H1vNh

                    Will share more detailed thoughts in the next day or so.

                    Best,
                    Scott