Looking for an experience

  • dk
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 24, 2012
      I no longer teach company staff and managers in their office meeting rooms.
      I now meet these students out in various locations in the city where we may
      have a lesson or practice our English.

      With a lesson about Starbucks and its business model, we meet in a
      Starbucks. We do similar lessons about and at KFC, McDonald's, Subway, etc.
      It's quite an experience to drink or eat the product and feel the experience
      while practicing the English and discussing the business.

      Sometimes we have a walk-and-talk through Ikea, a shopping mall, a bookstore
      or walking street. We talk about colors, styles, fashion, prices,
      preferences, pedestrian traffic, behavioral economics, advertising,
      business, Paco Underhill, marketing, signage, etc. It's quite an experience
      to get out of the book and use the cityscape as our lesson pages.

      I'm looking for locations that can provide an experience. Can you suggest
      any?

      Dave Kees

    • Maria Ines
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 25, 2012
        Hi Dave!
        Thanks for your mail!!! It's so inspiring!! I did this some years ago when I started having private students.
        We went to the supermarket, pharmacy, delicatessen... and many other places where students go everyday. We enjoyed it a lot and had real fun! Of course, some people looked at us as our native language is Spanish and they didn't understand a word.
        All the best in this!!! Whatever you need, please, feel free to contact me!!
        Smiles from Rio Tercero (Argentina)
        Maria Bossa :)

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "dk" <davekees1@...> wrote:

        > I no longer teach company staff and managers in their office meeting rooms.
        > I now meet these students out in various locations in the city where we may
        > have a lesson or practice our English.
        >

        > With a lesson about Starbucks and its business model, we meet in a
        > Starbucks. We do similar lessons about and at KFC, McDonald's, Subway, etc.
        > It's quite an experience to drink or eat the product and feel the experience
        > while practicing the English and discussing the business.
        >

        > Sometimes we have a walk-and-talk through Ikea, a shopping mall, a bookstore
        > or walking street. We talk about colors, styles, fashion, prices,
        > preferences, pedestrian traffic, behavioral economics, advertising,
        > business, Paco Underhill, marketing, signage, etc. It's quite an experience
        > to get out of the book and use the cityscape as our lesson pages.
        >

        > I'm looking for locations that can provide an experience. Can you suggest
        > any?
        >

        > Dave Kees

      • Dr. Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 25, 2012
          David--
          Such good ideas you have! I don't know if these ideas might be useful:

          For higher end, how about a movie? Buying popcorn, the price inflation that supports the movie, where to sit, and then there's always the discussion of the movie itself, and why big screen might be preferable to video. Other factors that might keep a local movie theater from going under (e.g., the coffee shop concept, video game area, kids' playground indoors, etc.)

          For lower end, I also like gardens, esp. if there are specialty areas, like a bonsai garden, native vs. exotic plants (local ecology and relation to business endeavors), ancient plants, the garden cafe and the garden gift store (location/accessibility to non-paying visitors, marketing choices, target consumers).

          I realize it's for staff and managers, but they need some relaxation, too.

          --Elizabeth H-S

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "dk" <davekees1@...> wrote:

          > I no longer teach company staff and managers in their office meeting rooms.
          > I now meet these students out in various locations in the city where we may
          > have a lesson or practice our English.
          >

          > With a lesson about Starbucks and its business model, we meet in a
          > Starbucks. We do similar lessons about and at KFC, McDonald's, Subway, etc.
          > It's quite an experience to drink or eat the product and feel the experience
          > while practicing the English and discussing the business.
          >

          > Sometimes we have a walk-and-talk through Ikea, a shopping mall, a bookstore
          > or walking street. We talk about colors, styles, fashion, prices,
          > preferences, pedestrian traffic, behavioral economics, advertising,
          > business, Paco Underhill, marketing, signage, etc. It's quite an experience
          > to get out of the book and use the cityscape as our lesson pages.
          >

          > I'm looking for locations that can provide an experience. Can you suggest
          > any?
          >

          > Dave Kees

        • Hala Fawzi
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3, 2013
            Dear webheads,

            I wonder if there is a schedule of  CALL-IS webcast sessions at TESOL Convention 2013. I remember I attended some of them back in 2011:

            http://www.call-is.org/info/course/view.php?id=22

            I am not sure if Elizabeth Hanson-Smith has already posted something here. Maybe I missed it.

            Thanks in advance,
            Hala

          • Bauer-Ramazani, Christine
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2013
              Dear Hala,

              The CALL-IS is coordinating Web casts again and we will post the schedule. The Web cast team (which I am on) will be Web casting several sessions from the EV Fair Classics and the Technology Showcase room, including the CALL-IS Academic Session and several InterSection sessions. Please look for the posting on the CALL-IS Web site within the next month.

              We hope to see you and many other Webheads online.

              Christine
              Christine Bauer-Ramazani
              2009-10 Chair, CALL-IS of TESOL
              Instructor, Applied Linguistics Department
              Saint Michael's College phone: 802-654-2642
              One Winooski Park fax: 802-654-2595
              Colchester, VT 05439-0253
              web site: academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/<http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/>
              online CALL course: academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_demo.htm<http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_demo.htm>
              "Das Leben hinterlässt kleine Kratzer, aber es stört uns nicht beim Leuchten!"

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 3, 2013
                Thank you, Elizabeth for the valuable info.
                Looking forward to attending all of them.
                Hala

                ---