ESL for Daycare Workers

  • Maryanne
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 14, 2012
      This week I will start teaching a class for non-English proficient day care workers. Can anyone suggest a good text? I will meet them for the first time this coming week so I so not yet know their proficiency levels but I'm sure they will vary.

      I've done some online searches but couldn't find anything tailored specifically to the needs of this group. So if there aren't any texts for them, I'll be grateful for suggestions for the next best thing.

      Thanks for the help,

      Maryanne
    • Nina Liakos
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 15, 2012
        Hi Maryanne,
        Back in the f2f classroom! That will be a jolt (and a lot of fun!).
        I have nothing to recommend specifically, but if they are low level, the OPD is always good and you can focus on the relevant vocabulary for them, or any workplace ESL text. They need specific vocabulary, but they also need general English.
        Nina (enrolled in an EVO session as usual and very busy!)

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Maryanne" <maryanneburgos@...> wrote:

        > This week I will start teaching a class for non-English proficient day care workers. Can anyone suggest a good text? I will meet them for the first time this coming week so I so not yet know their proficiency levels but I'm sure they will vary.
        >
        > I've done some online searches but couldn't find anything tailored specifically to the needs of this group. So if there aren't any texts for them, I'll be grateful for suggestions for the next best thing.
        >
        > Thanks for the help,
        >
        > Maryanne

      • Lesley
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 15, 2012
          Hi Maryanne

          This Australian resource could be just what you need, though is aimed at
          higher level learners:
          Caring for Children: Effective communication for CALD workers in Child
          Care

          A DVD resource developed to address the workplace communication needs
          and cross cultural issues faced by CALD workers in the child care
          industry.

          The accompanying trainer guide presents a range of activities based on
          the DVD scenarios...

          http://www.ames.net.au/bookshop/pid/233
          <http://www.ames.net.au/bookshop/pid/233>

          You can view a preview of the DVD here:
          http://www.ames.net.au/media-player/catid/76/mediaid/382
          <http://www.ames.net.au/media-player/catid/76/mediaid/382>
          Cheers,
          Lesley

          <maryanneburgos@...> wrote:

          > This week I will start teaching a class for non-English proficient day
          care workers. Can anyone suggest a good text? I will meet them for the
          first time this coming week so I so not yet know their proficiency
          levels but I'm sure they will vary.

          > I've done some online searches but couldn't find anything tailored
          specifically to the needs of this group. So if there aren't any texts
          for them, I'll be grateful for suggestions for the next best thing.

          > Thanks for the help,
          >
          > Maryanne

        • Maryanne
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 16, 2012
            Hi Nina,

            You are right that teaching f2f will be a jolt, b/c it's been a while since I have done it. But that is one of the reasons I feel a need to do it. However, I'm hoping that some of the childcare workers will have access to the Internet so that I can suggest some activities for them to do at home as well.

            BTW what is OPD. I know it's not Oakland Police Department! :-)

            I'm following several EVO sessions myself and, as usual, they are fantastic. It is interesting to see that most sessions are now run by a group of people. Sharing the responsibilities seems to be working very well. Some of the people who are running one session are even presenting in other sessions. Now that is true collaboration. These sessions just keep getting better and better. I always suggest that my pre-service teachers check them out.

            Enjoy your EVO sessions!

            Maryanne
          • Maryanne
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 16, 2012
              Lesley,
              Thanks so much for the textbook DVD suggestion. I have ordered the book
              and look forward to checking it out.
              Maryanne