Request from John Eyles

  • Michael Coghlan
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2011
      Hi everyone.

      A colleague who is almost a Webhead :-) is asking a favour. John
      Eyles, Vance and I worked together on one of the Future of Learning
      in a Networked World (FLNW) adventures in Thailand in 2008. (See
      <http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikecogh/2197150789/>http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikecogh/2197150789/
      ) John has worked for many years in the EFL/ESL field in Asia, and is
      currently working on a project to improve student writing.

      John writes:

      Simply put, I'm involved in a project to develop an online writing
      tool to help students write more fluently. As part of the research I
      need to gather hundreds of ESL student essays from around the world.
      It is a big ask. I'm looking for teachers who can help me by having
      their students write two essays online through a simple website. There
      are two styles of essay, a timed 30 minute argument essay similar to
      those found in the TOEFL, IELTS 2 and SAT exams, and a 40 minute
      simple narrative essay style.Students can do one or more of the timed
      essays online in the classroom or outside class. Students of all
      language levels welcome. Students will receive personalised feedback
      on their essay and a certificate of participation. Teachers will get
      to use the tool once it is created.

      I would love to hear from any teachers willing to get involved and I
      will send more details and website login.

      If you would like to help John out and have your students participate
      please email him at <john@...> and he will provide you
      with further information about how to take part.

      - Michael