Re: The University of Wherever + Show Me the Money

  • Dr. Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 2011
      Obviously, it depends on what is meant by "teaching." If it means reciting a lecture (i.e., reading a speech), you can do it with 58,000 students, or 100 million, for that matter. Put it in a podcast and never look back.

      If by "teaching" you mean helping students learn another language (or in fact master any subject matter) it's a different thing entirely. In this situation, interactions, including those with other students, are primary and the process has to be tuned individually.

      It's unfortunate that the general public, and professional educators, continually confuse these two ideas of what "teaching" is.

      As for monetary incentives, money is just the vehicle for desires. Teachers are often dedicated to their jobs and their students, but don't they also want the recognition (and shelter, food, clothing) that a salary gives? Doesn't everybody, including students, want that? Aren't scholarships and fellowships just another form of pay for grades? Aren't pay scales just another form of recognition?

      I don't mean to sound cynical, but everything is about "money," isn't it? Money in its symbolic sense as well as what it buys materially.

      You always provide a lot of food for thought, David--thank you!

      --Elizabeth H-S