Getting a Masters to get more salary?

  • dk
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2011
      We discussed this topic on this list before. I think most teachers believe
      that there is nothing wrong with such a motivation. In fact, it seems a
      completely logical and obvious thing to do. Most teachers get a Masters, not
      to improve their professional ability, but to improve their earnings
      ability.

      That being an obvious and blameless motivation, I looked at this recent
      article in the NY Times with special interest, "Incentives for Advanced Work
      Let Pupils and Teachers Cash In". It discusses something we have heard about
      before, students getting paid to learn:

      "...the National Math and Science Initiative...paid $100 each to students
      who scored a 3 or above on the A.P. exam - and to their teachers, who can
      also earn additional rewards. Because 43 of his students passed the exam
      this year, far above his target, Mr. Nystrom will add a $7,300 check to his
      $72,000 salary."[1]

      So the question I'm left with is if it is OK for teachers to study for
      money, isn't it OK for students to study for money?

      Dave Kees

      [1]
      http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/03/education/03incentive.html?ref=education