"ESL Is Booming in Emerging Markets as English Studies Go Online"

  • dk
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2011
      Interesting news about the growth of online teaching. Of course, you already
      knew this. I think we should start learning how to be online teachers, how
      to use online learning platforms, design engaging online lessons, blending
      online text type lessons with face-to-face teleconference type lessons or
      lessons by VOIP or even telephone augmented with SMS and chat, how to find
      and keep students coming back for more, how to make the training relevant to
      students real needs, how to set up our personal studio. - Dave

      ~~~

      ESL Is Booming in Emerging Markets as English Studies Go Online
      TalktoCanada Reports

      While ESL courses at college level can cost up to 1700 USD per month, online
      English training is emerging as an affordable alternative

      OTTAWA, Ontario, Oct. 3, 2011 -- /PRNewswire/ -- TalktoCanada, the company
      trusted by Ernst & Young, Novartis and Saudi Telecom for English language
      training, is reporting that students around the world are increasingly
      embracing classes over WebEx and Skype - a trend driven by convenience,
      quality and affordability.

      According to the British Council, Europe accounts for 32.6% of students
      studying English as a second language, with a high number of online ESL
      learners located in France and Germany. In Asia, the highest number of
      online ESL Learners are based in Japan, Taiwan and South Korea.

      With over 477 million of its population online, China is the largest ESL
      market of all. McKinsey & Co. estimates that China's foreign-language
      business is worth $2.1 billion per annum. According to Premier Wen Jiabao,
      more than 300 million Chinese are studying English.

      "It's not a matter of when it will happen, but how much it will grow and how
      fast. Learning English online is already becoming the preferred education
      platform for ESL students around the world. As educational institutions
      struggle with budget cuts, and students are looking for more affordable
      alternatives to steep tuition fees, the demand for English learning is
      growing," says Marc Anderson, Managing Director of TalktoCanada.com.

      In a recent survey of teachers in 110 countries conducted by English
      Teaching Professional Magazine, 66 percent believe there will be an increase
      in the importance of English as a global language over the next ten years,
      and over 80 percent believe that the numbers of students will increase
      accordingly.

      Read more:
      http://www.sacbee.com/2011/10/03/3955855/esl-is-booming-in-emerging-markets.
      html
    • Ardian
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 12, 2011
        A nice article. Consider also reading this article

        http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/06/opinion/fraud-and-online-learning.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

        the other sides of learning online.

        Cheers,

        Ardian