"Learning with Video is as Effective as the Classroom - And that's a Problem"

  • dk
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2011
      "Scientists of the RUB department for Neurophysiology have proven that we
      don't need to actively explore new environments in order to learn but that
      passively watching new information on a computer screen leads to the same
      sustained changes in the strengths of nerve cell connections in the
      brain....The research is really good news for Khan Academy and the model of
      the flipped classroom. In this model children watch Khan's or other
      educational videos at home to learn the essentials and then do experiments
      and homework in the classroom with the teacher and their peers. If the
      findings of Manahan-Vaughan are correct, the effect of watching a lecture at
      home would be of the same quality as learning the topic in class."

      This is interesting news for teachers who are using the flipped classroom
      format.

      More:
      http://bigthink.com/ideas/40466

      Dave