Re: [evonline2002_webheads] How to put up a ppt with narration?

  • ClairMichelle Taylor
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 25, 2011
      I've never used it...but

      http://www.ispringsolutions.com/free_powerpoint_to_flash_converter.html
      looks like it'd do the job.
      clair

      I suppose I could grab the audio from the powerpoints and then add it to the
      Slideshare but in this day and age, I would hope that there would be a more
      straightforward way! I think that there is might be some freeware that
      would convert a narrated ppt to a flashmovie, but have no idea what might
      work? Ideas anyone?

      Cheers,
      Tom

      On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 10:54 PM, Michael Coghlan

    • nina.lyulkun@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 25, 2011
        If not PPT, it is better to use for presentations Prezi or Glogster, where
        audio can be added easily to any slide.

        Though, I do understand, Tom, that you need a converter of already created
        PPT into Web.

        The best,

        --
        *Nina Lyulkun *(Ukraine)
        Khmel'nyts'kyi National University <http://www.tup.km.ua/>

      • Dr. Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 25, 2011
          Tom--

          If they saved the ppt as a movie (using >Save as), you could put them up at any of the movie storage sites, like TeacherTube.com or blip.tv. Or even YouTube (which I tend to avoid for youngsters because of bad content encounters).

          If you want to give them additional technology practice, they could take the files used in making the ppt--audio and images--and copy them with text to pages of a wiki. I used wikispaces.com to do a "ppt" presentation at TESOL:

          http://callcolloq-tesol09.wikispaces.com/

          When you are in edit mode and click "Next," the program will open a link to creating a new page, so you don't have to deal with html at all.

          --Elizabeth

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas N. Robb" <trobb@...> wrote:

          > Hi everyone,
          >
          > My students have created some powerpoints explaining specific Japanese manga
          > series, using the ppt audio narration function. What would the best way be
          > to make these publicly available? I'd like it to be on some sort of
          > platform where people can easily view them without having to download the
          > ppts to play them.
          >
          > I tried slideshare, but the sound doesn't work; only the visual aspect of
          > the slides is replayed.
          >
          > I look forward to your answers!
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Tom Robb, Kyoto
          >
          > --
          > ******* Don't miss the GLoCALL 2011 in Manila! *********
          > ************** 27 to 29 October 2011 http://glocall.org ******************
          >
          > ** Thomas N. Robb, Ph.D., Kyoto Sangyo University, Japan **
          > ** <trobb@...> **
          > ** http://www.cc.kyoto-su.ac.jp/~trobb/index.html **

        • Cora
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 25, 2011
            Hi Tom,

            Sometime ago, I learned from this group about this software:

            <http://www.authorgen.com/authorpoint-lite-free/powerpoint-to-flash-converter.aspx>
            You can download it for free. The program allows you to include narrations on the PowerPoint slides.

            Cora

            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas N. Robb" <trobb@...> wrote:

            > Hi everyone,
            >
            > My students have created some powerpoints explaining specific Japanese manga
            > series, using the ppt audio narration function. What would the best way be
            > to make these publicly available? I'd like it to be on some sort of
            > platform where people can easily view them without having to download the
            > ppts to play them.
            >
            > I tried slideshare, but the sound doesn't work; only the visual aspect of
            > the slides is replayed.
            >
            > I look forward to your answers!
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Tom Robb, Kyoto
            >
            > --
            > ******* Don't miss the GLoCALL 2011 in Manila! *********
            > ************** 27 to 29 October 2011 http://glocall.org ******************
            >
            > ** Thomas N. Robb, Ph.D., Kyoto Sangyo University, Japan **
            > ** <trobb@...> **
            > ** http://www.cc.kyoto-su.ac.jp/~trobb/index.html **

          • Luiz Reikdal
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 25, 2011
              Dear Tom,

              Now there is Knovio which is really good. I've tested myself: the first time it was awful, but after I gave them some feedback they taught me how to adjust the mike and sound... then it worked absolutely well.

              http://www.knovio.com/
              Knovio is a free tool for turning PowerPoint slides into rich video presentations right from your web browser. No fancy hardware or video software needed - just a webcam and microphone

              Hope your ppt pres works well with your learners!
              I wanna see the result, ok?
              :)
              Luiz Reikdal
              @ELTtech

              PS: Tks for the invitation to http://glocall.org
              I'll take a closer look at it this afternoon. Have a great weekend!

              --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas N. Robb" <trobb@...>
            • Bauer-Ramazani, Christine
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 25, 2011
                I used iSpring for a 26MB PPT made for the teacher trainees in my CALL Online course, complete with animations, narration, and music. It worked great. The downside is that it used to be free and still is, but it’s only a 30-day trial, so the following year the link no longer worked. I reverted to posting the PPT on my Web site but will investigate other options posted here.

                Thank you for raising the question, Tom, and thank you to all who are contributing solutions!

                Christine
                Applied Linguistics Department
                Phone: 802-654-2642
                I suppose I could grab the audio from the powerpoints and then add it to the
                Slideshare but in this day and age, I would hope that there would be a more
                straightforward way! I think that there is might be some freeware that
                would convert a narrated ppt to a flashmovie, but have no idea what might
                work? Ideas anyone?

                Cheers,
                Tom

                On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 10:54 PM, Michael Coghlan

              • Bauer-Ramazani, Christine
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 25, 2011
                  Cora, this sounded really good, and I downloaded it, but the free version is only for PPT XP (2002), 2003, and 2007. I now have 2010, so it won't work for me but should be good for those of you with PPT versions of those years.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 25, 2011
                    screencast?

                    ^V^

                    On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 4:26 PM, Thomas N. Robb <trobb@...-su.ac.jp>wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > Hi everyone,
                    >
                    > My students have created some powerpoints explaining specific Japanese
                    > manga
                    > series, using the ppt audio narration function. What would the best way be
                    > to make these publicly available? I'd like it to be on some sort of
                    > platform where people can easily view them without having to download the
                    > ppts to play them.
                    >
                    > I tried slideshare, but the sound doesn't work; only the visual aspect of
                    > the slides is replayed.
                    >
                    > I look forward to your answers!
                    >
                    > Cheers,
                    > Tom Robb, Kyoto
                    >
                    > --
                    > ******* Don't miss the GLoCALL 2011 in Manila! *********
                    > ************** 27 to 29 October 2011 http://glocall.org ******************
                    >
                    > ** Thomas N. Robb, Ph.D., Kyoto Sangyo University, Japan **
                    > ** <trobb@...-su.ac.jp> **
                    > ** http://www.cc.kyoto-su.ac.jp/~trobb/index.html **

                    Vance Stevens
                    http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
                    http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

                  • Barbara Dieu
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 26, 2011
                      Hi Tom,

                      I have made a couple of films with ppt slides by converting them into pngs
                      and then throwing them into iMovies, recording or adding the sound on
                      Audacity and throwing it in.Then converted the mv4 Mac file into an mp4 by
                      using Miro Converter and uploaded it to YouTube (or Vimeo, or bliptv)
                      http://www.mirovideoconverter.com/

                      You can view some of the experiments here.
                      http://youtu.be/J_Kc4V_BviA
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwzyMOqIryQ

                      Warm regards from Brazil,

                      B.

                      --
                      Barbara Dieu
                      http://barbaradieu.com

                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 27, 2011
                        Hi, Tom!

                        I just heard about myBrainshark.com through Russell Stannard.

                        * "Create online and mobile video presentations
                        * Simply Upload PowerPoints, documents, photos or video clips
                        * Add audio by phone, microphone or MP3

                        * Share your presentation links via email or social media
                        * Embed them in your website or blog
                        * View anytime, on-demand from desktop or mobile devices"

                        I don't know if it'll help you at this point, since narration would need
                        to be redone in your students' PPTs, I think, but it may be useful in
                        future for you and others.

                        Here's Russell's training video about it.
                        http://www.teachertrainingvideos.com/brain/index.html

                        Hugs, Teresa

                        On 25-09-2011 13:26, Thomas N. Robb wrote:

                        > Hi everyone,
                        >
                        > My students have created some powerpoints explaining specific Japanese
                        > manga
                        > series, using the ppt audio narration function. What would the best way be
                        > to make these publicly available? I'd like it to be on some sort of
                        > platform where people can easily view them without having to download the
                        > ppts to play them.
                        >
                        > I tried slideshare, but the sound doesn't work; only the visual aspect of
                        > the slides is replayed.
                        >
                        > I look forward to your answers!
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        > Tom Robb, Kyoto

                      • Foxdenuk
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 27, 2011
                          Hi Tom
                          Slideboom at http://www.slideboom.com/ does it for me. Just upload the PPT and the narration will follow. The reason I like it is because it also preserves animations and special effects which slideshare has not (maybe it does now, don't know haven't used it recently for anything with special effects). Slideboom uses the iSpring software which was mentioned earlier and you can download the iSpring extension into your Powerpoint program through Slideboom to make upload even easier but it is not necessary to do it like this.
                          Regards
                          Anne

                          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas N. Robb" <trobb@...> wrote:

                          > Hi everyone,
                          >
                          > My students have created some powerpoints explaining specific Japanese manga
                          > series, using the ppt audio narration function. What would the best way be
                          > to make these publicly available? I'd like it to be on some sort of
                          > platform where people can easily view them without having to download the
                          > ppts to play them.
                          >
                          > I tried slideshare, but the sound doesn't work; only the visual aspect of
                          > the slides is replayed.
                          >
                          > I look forward to your answers!
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          > Tom Robb, Kyoto
                          >
                          > --
                          > ******* Don't miss the GLoCALL 2011 in Manila! *********
                          > ************** 27 to 29 October 2011 http://glocall.org ******************
                          >
                          > ** Thomas N. Robb, Ph.D., Kyoto Sangyo University, Japan **
                          > ** <trobb@...> **
                          > ** http://www.cc.kyoto-su.ac.jp/~trobb/index.html **

                        • Thomas N. Robb
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 27, 2011
                            Hi everyone,

                            Thank you, thank you for all of the suggestions! I've resigned myself to
                            having the students re-record their narration although one workaround would
                            be to use Jing or Camtasia to capture the PPT in real time to create a
                            movie. Unfortunately, when I tried this, the sound in the ppt didn't play
                            although it does play if I use the original computers at school where the
                            sound was recorded. It seems to be very version-dependent! The computers
                            at school, however, are locked down completely so no new software can be
                            installed in them! Sigh...

                            If anyone else has other recommendations, please don't hesitate to post
                            them. What a great group the webheads are!!

                            Cheers,
                            Tom

                            Message 13 of 20 , Sep 27, 2011
                              Don't give up yet, Tom!--
                              I just saved a regular ppt with sound and put it into Slideboom--sound came through fine:

                              http://bit.ly/Teaching_Writing_Online

                              The only thing I'd suggest is be sure students add an extra slide at the end of their ppt, as Slideboom has an annoying Replay button over the last slide.

                              I also tried SAVE AS a movie from PowerPoint, and you can just upload everything to YouTube, TeacherTube, or Blip.tv, as I suggested in an earlier post.

                              For this version in YouTube, saved on a Mac, I had to open the file in QuickTime and save it as .mp4, because YouTube didn't like my older version of PowerPoint for Mac (I think):

                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBHp4ovXWks

                              This is a lot easier than re-recording the audio.

                              BTW, the iSpring add-on for Slideboom is only for Windows machines, not Mac OS X.

                              Cheers--