Re: Futurist's dilemma

  • dk
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2011
      "You have to constantly undermine their misplaced confidence in the old ways
      and traditions, show constantly how those things are not helping but
      hurting."  I can see how this could apply to many kinds of groups.” “I'm
      just curious though what you are doing in your teaching system for this
      company. “

      Karen,

      I asked David Nunan once about what he thought was the role of technology in
      English teaching. He said that we should use technology to do what it can do
      and that we should use it more for listening and reading. By the way, David
      Nunan teachers a masters course in EFL but it is, appropriately, online.

      I have had a tour of an astronomically expensive English school here called
      "Wall Street Institute". At WSI it is like they stripped out of a course
      book everything that can be taught by computer. They use a computer to teach
      those kinds of things and then use the teachers to only teach what the
      teacher can teach. (At WSI, a student must do 4.5 to 6 hours of online
      learning before he can talk with a teacher.)

      In the system we are developing and testing, the student does one online
      lesson which takes 20-30 minutes and then has a phone conversation with the
      teacher for about five minutes to practice what he learned.

      HR managers and even students have a lot of wrong ideas about teaching and
      learning that causes a lot of objections to our new teaching approach. These
      wrong ideas cause them to be unable to see the ineffectiveness of
      traditional ways and an inability to consider alternatives. Once they hear
      the facts about teaching and learning they understand.

      Dave Kees
    • karenmsiemens
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2011
        Dave,

        Thanks, for explaining your project. It makes so much sense but it's not hard to see how it puts everyone a bit out of their comfort zone.

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2011
          This sounds like a perfect description of the multiliteracies course I've
          been running for the EVO and the TESOL Principles and Practices of Online
          Teaching programs.

          It's "live" again now to October 2, 2011

          It runs more closely now on the MOOC model, which in this case stands for
          miniscule online open course, though the Yahoo Group does have over 250
          enrolled.

          It is meant to be open, so if interested you could join that YGroup

          - If you're on Facebook, join our group:
          http://www.facebook.com/groups/194181233930205/
          - Subscribe to or join the joint blog here:
          http://multiliteracies.posterous.com/

          For more information, we're just here in the course
          http://goodbyegutenberg.pbworks.com/GettingStarted2011pp107<http://goodbyegutenberg.pbworks.com/w/page/44609040/GettingStarted2011pp107>

          vance

          On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 8:07 AM, karenmsiemens <ah_school@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Dave,
          >
          > Thanks, for explaining your project. It makes so much sense but it's not
          > hard to see how it puts everyone a bit out of their comfort zone.
          >
          > Karen
          >
          > Vance Stevens
          http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
          http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

        • Albert Plucknett
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 6, 2011
            Hey Vance, when I click the ygroup link, I get "group not found". How are you doing? All the best, Al

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 6, 2011
              Thanks Al,

              It's the punctuation at the end :-(

              Try this one
              http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/multilit/

              Glad you're thinking to join us, and thanks for pointing that out,

              Vance

              On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 2:10 PM, Albert Plucknett <asplucknett@...>wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Hey Vance, when I click the ygroup link, I get "group not found". How are
              > you doing? All the best, Al
              >
              > ________________________________

            • Graham Stanley
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 6, 2011
                Hi Dave,

                WSI has been around for many years in Spain, but has been seriously
                declining. There was a boom in this kind of school here about 12 years ago.
                Another competitor, called Opening (similar method) was very popular too
                then. Unfortunately, Opening went bust and closed, with many people losing
                the money they had paid for courses. This had a knock on effect with other
                similar academies (such as WSI), and since then, WSI has been declining.

                I knew teachers who worked there who were less than impressed with the
                place. I also had experience of teaching students who had been through the
                WSI system, and have to say they were incredibly weak at speaking and had
                lots of fossilised errors. The system seemed to work with lower level
                learners who didn't have time to regularly go to class (business people,
                etc) but it seemed to me to be a second best way of trying to learn a
                language and this is the impression the students I talked to who had gone
                through this system seemed to think too.

                Of course, things may have changed since then, but I remain doubtful.

                Best,

                Graham Stanley
                http://blog-efl.blogspot.com

                On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 1:44 AM, dk <davekees1@...> wrote:

                > **

                <snip>

                > I have had a tour of an astronomically expensive English school here called
                > "Wall Street Institute". At WSI it is like they stripped out of a course
                > book everything that can be taught by computer. They use a computer to
                > teach
                > those kinds of things and then use the teachers to only teach what the
                > teacher can teach. (At WSI, a student must do 4.5 to 6 hours of online
                > learning before he can talk with a teacher.)
                >
                > In the system we are developing and testing, the student does one online
                > lesson which takes 20-30 minutes and then has a phone conversation with the
                > teacher for about five minutes to practice what he learned.
                >
                > HR managers and even students have a lot of wrong ideas about teaching and
                > learning that causes a lot of objections to our new teaching approach.
                > These
                > wrong ideas cause them to be unable to see the ineffectiveness of
                > traditional ways and an inability to consider alternatives. Once they hear
                > the facts about teaching and learning they understand.
                >
                > Dave Kees

                Graham Stanley
                blogefl@...
                http://blog-efl.blogspot.com