The Furturist's Dilemma

  • dk
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2011
      Barbara,

      Arthur C. Clarkes comments [1) at the link you sent are so true.

      Yesterday I was called to meet a manager at a company where I am designing
      and implementing a teaching system. It seems the HR manager gave feedback to
      the management that I was not responsive to the suggestions and complaints
      of the students in the course so this manager wanted to know what was going
      on. Even though I had started this project with the consent of the CEO, it
      seemed they still didn't understand.

      "Students wanted the teacher to choose a topic". "They would prepare to talk
      about the topic." "When the teacher went to the office we would talk about
      this topic." "We would also play some games." "They wanted a more
      'structured' learning approach." "In the face-to-face lessons, the teacher
      talked too much." "They wanted face-to-face classes so they could talk to
      the teacher more and get his corrections."

      Even though I spelled it out clearly at the beginning with the CEO, HR
      manager and all of the students, it is taking a long time for it to sink in.

      We are not going to choose a topic.

      We are not going to play games.

      We are not going to get together in the office.

      We are not going to have face-to-face classes.

      We are not trying to fine-tune the old traditional way of teaching. We are
      completely overthrowing it and rejecting it as ineffective and we are
      engaged in a project which is similar to what management calls Business
      Process Reengineering but as applied to learning. We are reengineering the
      teaching and learning process from start to finish.

      It's one thing to be a futurist and see the future. All you have to do is
      see it and write it down and let everyone know you saw it so you can get the
      credit when it happens. It's another thing when you have to build the future
      but you have to work with people who are entrenched in the traditional way.

      So my advice to you innovators is that you have to constantly let people
      know why they should change, must change and will change eventually because
      that is the direction things are going. You have to constantly undermine
      their misplaced confidence in the old ways and traditions, show constantly
      how those things are not helping but hurting. And you have to constantly do
      it over and over and over up and down your chain of influence and with your
      peers. It has to be a constant information campaign to overcome the inertia.

      The operating word there is: constantly.

      Dave Kees

      [1] http://www.kk.org/thetechnium/archives/2011/08/the_futurists_d.php

    • JohnHibbs
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 7, 2011
        > The operating word there is: constantly.
        > Dave Kees

        And in the meantime, David, try not to get fired?
      • Barbara Dieu
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 7, 2011
          >And in the meantime, David, try not to get fired?
          My timetable was reduced from 24 hours a week to 9, I almost got fired on
          several occasions and still hanging by a very fine thread....but it's ok :-)
          B.

          --
          Barbara Dieu
          http://barbaradieu.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 7, 2011
            I got so far out on the cutting edge that when the axe fell (actually I
            think it was a paper cutter) i was on the far side.

            Anyway, Dave, you seem to have something to say that resonates with
            webheads. Why don't you come online one Sunday and talk with us as part of
            the http://learning2gether.pbworks.com seminar series?

            This invitation applies to everyone actually

            See http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/volunteersneeded for available dates,

            Vance

            On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 2:33 AM, Barbara Dieu <beeonline@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > >And in the meantime, David, try not to get fired?
            > My timetable was reduced from 24 hours a week to 9, I almost got fired on
            > several occasions and still hanging by a very fine thread....but it's ok
            > :-)
            > B.
            >
            > --
            > Barbara Dieu
            > http://barbaradieu.com
            > http://beespace.net

            Vance Stevens
            http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
            http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

          • JohnHibbs
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 8, 2011
              The subject - Futurist's Dilemma -is so interesting (to all of us?)
              that I wonder if it is not worth a whole series of Sunday Webinars?
              (I'm just sorry that I can't be with you this weekend, especially if
              that is the "major" theme of it.