Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: 2011 Future of the Internet Survey invitation

  • Barbara Dieu
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2011
      >Pew et al is probably pretty good at reporting what people think but it is
      really useless to give any insight into the future.
      Collecting and reporting on what people think is already a good source of
      information for some. Now, insight to the future...I agree with you this is
      quite a different ball game.

      "This is the futurist's dilemma: Any believable prediction will be wrong.
      Any correct prediction will be unbelievable. Either way, a futurist can't
      win. He is either dismissed or wrong."
      http://www.kk.org/thetechnium/archives/2011/08/the_futurists_d.php

      B.

      --
      Barbara Dieu
      http://barbaradieu.com

    • Dr. Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1 6:47 PM
        That gave me a chuckle, Bee--

        Reminds me of my great-grandmother, who said, as we stood in the yard and watched a small plane overhead, "I know they can fly, but I just really don't believe it!"

        She was a highly educated woman, born just after the Civil War. I've often thought of all the changes she saw in her lifetime, which was really only a hundred years after the Revolution.

        --Elizabeth

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Dieu <beeonline@...> wrote:

        [snip]

        > "This is the futurist's dilemma: Any believable prediction will be wrong.
        > Any correct prediction will be unbelievable. Either way, a futurist can't
        > win. He is either dismissed or wrong."
        > http://www.kk.org/thetechnium/archives/2011/08/the_futurists_d.php
        >
        > B.
        >
        > --
        > Barbara Dieu
        > http://barbaradieu.com
        > http://beespace.net

      • Buthaina AlOthman
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2 9:35 AM
          Dear, Dr. Elizabeth,

          I read your your short story about your grandma, kind of deeply. But, my main question to you: Why did she say "..., but I just really don't believe it!"? Why she didn't believe it? I would be greatly appreciative if I can get your answer, please.

          Thanks,
          -Buth

          Love, Friendship, &Peace!

          P.S. Bee, thanks for provoking this kind of feedback via your survey thread. Love.