Curios: Where's The Land of "Shamia" Wheat?

  • Buthaina AlOthman
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 29, 2011
      Hello All,

      First, sorry for being inactive on this list since a while.

      This message is directed to any Syrian Webhead or Webheads who knows.

      A long while ago, let's say ages ago (since I was 7 yrs) I looked up the meaning of my name (Buthaina) in an Arabic-Arabic dictionary (Mukhtar al-Sa7a7 (MS)) and found that: "Buthaina" is the smaller version of the word"Buthna". "Buthna" means (according to MS) a rare kind of wheat, used to grow in Shamia / alSham area in Syria, during the era of Prophet Mohammad, when rich Qurashi (the tribe of the prophet) business people, (residing Mecca, then) used to travel all the way from Mecca to (Bilad alSham) to purchase that kind of Wheat, the Buthna. This Buthna was rare and expensive because it needs a special nature environment where red soil existed. This Buthna was also rare and expensive as it was main source for Brown Bread during that age.

      So, my main question is: if we have any Syrian or knowledgeable Webhead in Geo., please let me know where is that Buthan's location in Syria now or Bilad alSham, earlier.

      Appreciate your cooperation and assistance.

      Buth
      Love, Friendship, & Peace!

      P.S. To John Hibbs, I'm so much interested in your conversation. I will try to join your thread soon. I'm still in Lebanon for my summer holiday. Once I get a good minute, I promise to join your conv.
    • Buthaina AlOthman
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 3, 2011
        Dear Webheads,

        Although I haven't received any answer to my main question regarding the current location of the Buthna or Syrian / Shami Wheat, I would like to thank those of you who read my very message below and those who tired quietly/silently to assist by searching here and there. Well, I found the answer to my question through my Syrian friend, Hussain, who is also the porter of the building where I live in Lebanon. I found the answer quite useful and interesting to all of us, in terms of news about our natural environment in the world; therefore, I thought about sharing it with y'all. Here goes: The Buthan is a kind of rare wheat, found naturally in the old days, in the forest area, northwestern Hamat / "Hama", in Syria. I googled this particular area but failed to find; however, I found the area to the eastern side of it, which you could view at http://www.esyria.sy/ehama/index.php?p=stories&category=news&filename=201104271130011 Click on the green forest pic to see a better, closer look at it.

        I've also learned from Hussain that this kind of wheat is grown once a year, seasonally, and alternatively with Cotton. This kind of wheat, the Buthna, is quite precious to the Syrian regime so that the gov. purchase the product annually from Hamat farmers and save it for emergency situations when people / Syrian nation in need of bread. The product of this particular wheat, the Buthna, has always been consumed by Syrian President, Ba-char Assad, his family, and friends, in addition to that some part of the product's been always exported to the President's friends, according to Hussain.

        I wish to travel one day to the forest area in NorthWest Hama during the harvest of the Buthna and take some pics, inshallah :)

        Thanks for reading til here, folks...

        All the best,

        -Buth
        Love, Friendship, & Peace!

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Buthaina AlOthman" <buthaina.alothman@...> wrote:

        > Hello All,
        >
        > First, sorry for being inactive on this list since a while.
        >
        > This message is directed to any Syrian Webhead or Webheads who knows.
        >
        > A long while ago, let's say ages ago (since I was 7 yrs) I looked up the meaning of my name (Buthaina) in an Arabic-Arabic dictionary (Mukhtar al-Sa7a7 (MS)) and found that: "Buthaina" is the smaller version of the word"Buthna". "Buthna" means (according to MS) a rare kind of wheat, used to grow in Shamia / alSham area in Syria, during the era of Prophet Mohammad, when rich Qurashi (the tribe of the prophet) business people, (residing Mecca, then) used to travel all the way from Mecca to (Bilad alSham) to purchase that kind of Wheat, the Buthna. This Buthna was rare and expensive because it needs a special nature environment where red soil existed. This Buthna was also rare and expensive as it was main source for Brown Bread during that age.
        >
        > So, my main question is: if we have any Syrian or knowledgeable Webhead in Geo., please let me know where is that Buthan's location in Syria now or Bilad alSham, earlier.
        >

        > Appreciate your cooperation and assistance.
        >
        > Buth
        > Love, Friendship, & Peace!
        >
        > P.S. To John Hibbs, I'm so much interested in your conversation. I will try to join your thread soon. I'm still in Lebanon for my summer holiday. Once I get a good minute, I promise to join your conv.

      • Susana Canelo
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 3, 2011
          Dear Buth:
          it's really interesting. I went to the page you linked but it's written in Arabic, I guess and I couldn't find the translation bottom: but you mail is really fascinating.
          On the other hand it shows me that not everything is in Google or Wikipedia...

          Thanks, and waiting for your photos from North West Hama during the harvest of the Buthna. Do you know anybody in theta area who could show us that kind of wheat ? Maybe interesting to know that from Argentina. As a matter of fact I live in a rural area in Bs as province, where most of Argentinian wheat is cropped .

          Hugs from Del Valle in Argentina.

          Love, friendship and Peace
          for you too.

          Susana.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3, 2011
            Susana, thanks for your comment, and thanks for the info. regrading where you are located in Argentina, and how lucky you are to belong to an area where Argentinean wheat is grown and cropped.

            Yes, Susana, I have some friends residing Hamat, near the area where the Buthna is grown, but unfortunately, they're under the besiege of the ruling Syrian regime, at the moment.

            Love,
            -Buth

            P.S. Susana and all, I will send you some photos from my last week trip to a beautiful town in the Western Beqaa area of Lebanon.
            ------------------------------

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 4, 2011
              Susana,

              Sorry that the site is in Arabic only. Well, the main purpose of using that link in my last post is just to show you the photo of the natural or organic forest that is located in the Eastern side of the forest region or area (where the Buthna wheat is grown). I did that since I couldn't find any map or photo of the Forest area, located in the northwestern corner or part of Hama. See my point.

              Susana, I wouldn't blame scarce of resources of such natural, organic resources, like that in the northwestern part of Hama on Google. In contrast, I would blame it on governments and the people living or knowing about such places and did not inform the world about them through the WWW or any other e-means possible.

              Regarding Wikipedia, yes, I agree with you in that it's not a very reliable source as it had put me in an awfully embarrassing situation during a presentation I did collaboratively with other Webheads (who joined me virtually) for an audience of teachers at the Qatar Foundation in 2009! Wikipedia is written by people like you and me; so, we should recheck their info via Google since Google is only a search machine or engine. Hope you see what I mean; however, should what I said is unclear, kindly let me so that I can better explain it. Sorry, Susana, I'm writing this msg under the pressure of the quality of the Internet connection here as it might go at any second!

              Best,
              -Buth
              Love, Friendship, & Peace!
              P.S. [Whew!!..Glad I made it till here :)]