2011 Future of the Internet Survey invitation

  • Barbara Dieu
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 28, 2011
      Some of you may want to engage in this survey about the Future of the
      Internet. I got it through the Brazilian OER list.
      B.

      2011 Future of the Internet Survey invitation
      ****

      The Pew Research Center�s Internet & American Life Project and Elon
      University�s Imagining the Internet Center are conducting an ongoing survey
      of important stakeholders like you about the future impact of the Internet.
      This year�s new Web-based survey about international concerns is the fifth
      in a series of surveys of thousands of Internet stakeholders (to see
      previous results, please go to http://bit.ly/yrgc1). ****

      We hope you'll take 20 to 25 minutes to answer questions tied to eight
      intriguing issues about the potential future of education, money, our homes,
      and more. ****

      You will find the survey here:

      *Click here to begin...* <http://survey.fs.elon.edu/surveys/9JREK7>

      Note - If the above link does not work, copy and paste the following URL
      into your web browser:
      http://survey.fs.elon.edu/surveys/9JREK7
      ****

      It asks you to consider aspects of eight issues, choose the mostly likely of
      two alternative possible future scenarios and contribute your own thoughts.
      ****

      This is a confidential survey. However, we encourage you to take credit for
      your remarks if possible, as it lends much more credibility to the results
      and contributes to a more vibrant conversation. *Each elaboration you
      provide will remain anonymous unless you put your name and professional
      identity at the start of it*. ****

      The process of thinking these issues through is of value and the results
      make a difference. If you know any thought leaders who might benefit from
      participating, we invite you to forward this invitation or simply share the
      survey address with them.

      The Pew Internet Project and Imagining the Internet will issue a series of
      reports based on this survey starting around the turn of the year. Material
      from this survey will be added to the Elon University/Pew Internet site,
      Imagining the Internet
      (www.imaginingtheInternet.org<http://www.imaginingtheinternet.org/>).
      We will not use your name or email address for any purpose other than this
      project. If you have any questions, please contact one of us.

      Thank you!

      Lee Rainie, lrainie@...
      Director, Pew Research Center�s Internet & American Life Project

      Janna Anderson, andersj@...
      Director, Imagining the Internet, Elon University

      Barbara Dieu
      http://barbaradieu.com
      http://beespace.net

    • dk
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 31, 2011
        I hate to always be so contrarian and a perpetual killjoy, but this seems
        like a comprehensive encyclopedia of fuzzy thinking and well-heck-why-not
        insights.

        Pew et al is probably pretty good at reporting what people think but it is
        really useless to give any insight into the future.

        When Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak were pioneering Apple computer in their
        garage, if Pew did a survey would they find that everyone was clamoring for
        a personal computer?

        Before YouTube was everyone begging someone to start a video sharing
        website?

        Real innovation does not develop by mass opinion. Real innovation is a
        highly individual process that is usually counterintuitive. Usually everyone
        thinks it is impossible, unneeded, ridiculous or at the very least, stupid.

        Look at some of these ideas they call "compelling contributions" headlined
        on their website:

        "The internet and the information age will restructure our society
        fundamentally." - Rick Fleck

        Umm, hasn't that happened already? This is a "compelling contribution"?

        "A smaller world makes for a cheap labor market." - Eric Hamilton

        Hardly a new idea.

        "More internet use will lead to low socialization and a diminishment of
        society." - Robert Taylor

        Probably a false idea. Most people believe that the Internet has increased
        socialization. Even here on Webheads people socialize a lot with people that
        have never met face-to-face but have developed professional and personal
        friendships.

        "With increased visibility and communication, the corrupt will no longer be
        able to hide or enjoy their ill-gotten wealth." - Ashfaq Tunio

        I don't think we can say that the world today is more honest than it was
        1000 years ago. It is just more sophisticated. The corrupt are still corrupt
        but just in a more sophisticated way.

        "Humans will evolve into a species with embedded devices that allow us to
        communicate." - Dan Geile

        Maybe some machine grafted in but we will never biologically evolve with a
        phone stuck in our head.

        "Metaphysical implications of online communications will force our American
        community to address the fault lines in our culture." - Lyandra

        Umm, what?

        "There will be a lack of original thought as people co-opt ideas of others."
        - PMD

        Copying has gone on for ages but there will always be a necessity and market
        for new ideas.

        "The successful implantation of some sort of "nano-bio-whatchamacallit"
        might herald in [a] new era." - Nicholas Compton

        How can you argue with him when you don't know what he is saying?

        There are about a million "compelling contributions" at this website. The
        funny thing is, probably a couple of them are right.

        Dave
      • Barbara Dieu
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 31, 2011
          >Pew et al is probably pretty good at reporting what people think but it is
          really useless to give any insight into the future.
          Collecting and reporting on what people think is already a good source of
          information for some. Now, insight to the future...I agree with you this is
          quite a different ball game.

          "This is the futurist's dilemma: Any believable prediction will be wrong.
          Any correct prediction will be unbelievable. Either way, a futurist can't
          win. He is either dismissed or wrong."
          http://www.kk.org/thetechnium/archives/2011/08/the_futurists_d.php

          B.

          --
          Barbara Dieu
          http://barbaradieu.com

        • Dr. Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 1, 2011
            That gave me a chuckle, Bee--

            Reminds me of my great-grandmother, who said, as we stood in the yard and watched a small plane overhead, "I know they can fly, but I just really don't believe it!"

            She was a highly educated woman, born just after the Civil War. I've often thought of all the changes she saw in her lifetime, which was really only a hundred years after the Revolution.

            --Elizabeth

            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Barbara Dieu <beeonline@...> wrote:

            [snip]

            > "This is the futurist's dilemma: Any believable prediction will be wrong.
            > Any correct prediction will be unbelievable. Either way, a futurist can't
            > win. He is either dismissed or wrong."
            > http://www.kk.org/thetechnium/archives/2011/08/the_futurists_d.php
            >
            > B.
            >
            > --
            > Barbara Dieu
            > http://barbaradieu.com
            > http://beespace.net

          • Buthaina AlOthman
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2, 2011
              Dear, Dr. Elizabeth,

              I read your your short story about your grandma, kind of deeply. But, my main question to you: Why did she say "..., but I just really don't believe it!"? Why she didn't believe it? I would be greatly appreciative if I can get your answer, please.

              Thanks,
              -Buth

              Love, Friendship, &Peace!

              P.S. Bee, thanks for provoking this kind of feedback via your survey thread. Love.