Powers of 10

  • Elizabeth Hanson-Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2003
      Many thanks to those who sent expressions of
      condolence concerning the space shuttle Columbia. The
      US has been in deep shock and mourning. As someone who
      really loves the adventure of space, I am sending you
      this Website address, perhaps as a tribute or a type
      of thanks.
      I visited the following exhibition in San
      Francisco--it was amazing, and now it is available as
      a Web movie (address below). Each frame takes you to a
      dimension 10X +/- the original.
      How insignificant we are.
      --Elizabeth
      =================
      Powers of Ten

      View the Milky Way at 10 million light years from the
      Earth. Then move through space towards the Earth in
      successive orders of magnitude until you reach a tall
      oak tree just outside the buildings of the National
      High Magnetic Field Laboratory in Tallahassee,
      Florida. After that, begin to move from the actual
      size of a leaf into a microscopic world that reveals
      leaf cell walls, the cell nucleus, chromatin, DNA and
      finally, into the subatomic universe of electrons and
      protons.

      http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/java/scienceopticsu/powersof10
      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Don Carroll
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2003
        Elizabeth,

        Thank you for sending along this web site. Not only is it really enjoyable
        to watch but this is a beautiful example of what a well designed web site
        should look like and what we should all aspire too. As teachers we need to
        strive to make our class sites as interesting and exciting (and
        interactive) as the ones our students surf past "on the way to
        class." This is where tools like Photoshop can be invaluable.

        --Don

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2003
          Elizabeth,

          Thank you for sharing this site. It is a beautiful sight to see and reminded
          me of the amazing Space Show narrated by Tom Hanks that I saw almost two
          years ago at the Natural History Museum in New York. I must go back this
          year!

          When we get to the leaves, the detail is just fabulous!

          Teresa