Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: The Shallows (cont)

    Message 1 of 32 , Jul 31, 2011
      I admit this realize this might be shallow, George is a much deeper thinker
      than I am, but I read the underlying article and then tweeted

      http://twitter.com/VanceS/status/97399991471054849

      which takes you to my Scoop.It, where I elaborate:

      George Siemens says this is a "silly" post but I don't know. It's a post, it
      lives in the moment. George says social media is about flow, not substance.
      Perhaps, but without flow, substance would be lost, and that to me is the
      importance of social media.

      To elaborate further, George is saying, I think, that SM is impoverished
      because it doesn't create content, it simply kicks it along.

      Elsewhere in that Scoop.It you'll find that George doesn't think much of
      Google+ either
      http://www.elearnspace.org/blog/2011/07/10/google-fundamental-misunderstanding-of-networks/

      But I greatly respect George's opinions and I appreciate Bee's post because
      it got me to go back and re-read what George said. I differ with his
      dismissal of SM like twitter and Facebook as not contributing to content,
      because its role is well known in contexts where mainstream media is locked
      down. Clay Shirky dwells for a chapter, I think it was in Here Comes
      Everybody, on the idea that popular uprisings occur not when "everyone
      knows" and not even when "everyone knows that everyone knows" but when
      finally "everyone knows that everyone knows that everyone knows" that the
      king has no clothes. Social media like Twitter is highly significant in
      creating that awareness. But George points out that it's also self-serving,
      cliquish, and a waste of time if you're spending mouse clicks sorting your
      friends yet again into this circle or that.

      But strangely, George doesn't count Blogging as social media.

      I get what George and Michael Coghlan are saying about becoming productive
      only when we disconnect. I've been writing a blog post on this topic for
      over a week now, mainly in my posts to this group. This group and our
      interactions here are another form of social media, time consuming, and
      unproductive and shallow only if you consider our deliberations as avoidance
      of a more deeply construed final product. However anyone who teaches
      writing knows the importance of process in achieving that product. The most
      progressive writing teachers are putting their students in touch with peers
      via SM. Is this misguided? I think George and Michael are bringing their
      valid and treasured perspectives on a 'problem' which I guess I'm saying is
      actually a part of the process.

      This is certainly helping my process. I hope we can schedule a live
      discussion of the issue, maybe this Sunday Aug 7. If not then it will have
      to wait till September (4th or 11th, or October).

      Vance

      On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 2:10 AM, Barbara Dieu <beeonline@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > George Siemens writes about the shallows of social media...
      >
      > http://www.elearnspace.org/blog/2011/07/30/losing-interest-in-social-media-there-is-no-there-there/
      > Warm regards from Brazil,
      >
      > B.
      >
      > --
      > Barbara Dieu
      > http://barbaradieu.com
      > http://beespace.net

      Vance Stevens
      http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
      http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

      Message 32 of 32 , Aug 7, 2011
        we missed you. We did record it but it was in Michael's room so I'm waiting
        for him to get the link,