Re: World map for WIA + Tere's book on TV

  • Dafne <dygonza@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2, 2003
      Dearest Tere,

      What a great map! nice way to start the week, bringing the whole
      world together in Webheads. We are on the map!!!

      Maybe the members who have not been included could send a message
      with their location so they can have their place there???

      Thanks to the week 2 team, and good luck to the week 3 group!!
      I foresee a very active week where we will see the concept of
      scaffolding in action. According to what I have been told, and Tere's
      message, today's TI sessionwas a great starter for this hands-on
      week. Sorry I could not be there, but some civic action related to my
      country kept me away from the computer.

      Hugs and kisses,
      Daf

      PS: I will look at the tv clip tomorrow. Congrats dear Tere!!!

    • Vance Stevens <vstevens@emirates.net.ae>
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Teresa Almeida d'Eca"
        <tmvaz@m...> wrote:
        > BTW, does anybody know of any software that can capture that
        specific part of the video with an .avi extension? Joao, my husband,
        tried it with SnagIt, but he wasn't successful.

        > Teresa

        I just looked up 'record streaming video' on Google

        This site: http://www.research-j.org/e-
        japanese/english/powertools/part3/chap1.html

        Leads me to a site for ASFRecorder (in Polish) and this one:
        http://www.hoonnet.com/

        There's more on ASFRecorder here:
        http://www.ravensperch.com/asfrecorder.shtml

        Plus more at that google search.

        Let us know if any of this works for you,

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
          Don Carroll wrote:

          > We are clearly NOT in Africa and NOT in Russia (or the former
          > soviet republics), and NOT in the sub-continent. Is there anything we
          > might be able to do to expand our geographic reach?
          >
          > --Don

          I'm sure Teresa has done the best she could to pinpoint a the locations of just a few of the hundreds of Webheads in just one of the groups, the Webheads in Action. In this group, there are WIA members in Africa, notably Ismail and Randa Effat whom I saw at the recent EgypTesol conference. Ali from Morocco has unfortunately dropped out, but there is a W4W member from there. We have several members from the subcontinent in the W4W group, from India and Pakistan. There have been several members from Russia over the years (and Lena is still a member of this group, to mention one who participated a lot last year). There are also Halia and Sergei from Ukraine in the W4W and Teaching for Webheads groups, respectively.

          I think it's a good idea if anyone wants to be added to the map if they can write Teresa and just say so. I'm also concerned that we involve our boundary members in this way. We encourage you to submit a photograph for inclusion on our website (you can upload it to our photos area or point to it on the web, or you can send a jpg to vance_stevens@...). We would also like to have your 100 word blurb and your url for our community page. We want to get to know everyone, and believe it or not, it's really possible for us to do that.

          Here's how ...

          This coming week we will be focusing on the tools that facilitate computer mediated communication. Maria asked for a clear definition of CMC and I guess I would say, as it applies to us and to language learning, it's using computers to put people in remote (from each other) locations in touch for the purpose of facilitating authentic and purposeful communication. This is in fact the practice that our community revolves around, and one of our purposes is to explore various ways that we can effect CMC.

          Don sez: "I'd been wondering what webcaming brings to an online CoP like ours. As ScottLo said (via text I should point out) out: "it's fun." Despite my disappointment, I agree. It WAS fun to see faces "in motion" that I had only seen in stills on the community page before. But I have to say it was infinitely better to hear people's voice and (almost) have conversations."

          Michael: "And yes, we technophiles will keep trying. That is in part why Webheads exists. We keep trying these things and watch their progression. And we have seen voice technology progress from being a similarly frustrating not-worth-the-effort experience to something that is now acceptable. The same will happen with the use of video, and when it happens Webheads will be there!"

          Someone in Tapped In last night asked, aren't we going to talk about CMC?

          I once went to a Richie Havens concert (remember him, Woodstock?). In the middle of the concert, he put aside his guitar and commenced a rambling monologue about the war in Vietnam. About 5 min into that someone in the audience shouted, "Sing!". Without missing a beat, he replied "I am singing!".

          Excuse my rambling monologue, but what I'm trying to say is that CMC is what Webheads is all about, both a discussion of CMC tools, and more importantly, doing by trying them out on each other, and most importantly of all, communicating. This is the importance of video and voice. In addition to the text element where our thoughts are perhaps best conveyed, video and voice, for all their imperfections online, round out our communication. They help us to convey who we are in three dimensions (text, voice, and video). Video introduces our faces, our friends, our kids, and our surroundings. Don hasn't experienced one of our guitar jams yet. Talk about being underwhelmed, but I hope I'm getting across something of the nature of the almost inexplicable contribution that all these dimensions help us to convey about each other in an otherwise potentially flat virtual environment.

          Try and join us next week in some of our multimedia virtual encounters ...

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
            Don Carroll wrote:

> [...]

            Try and join us next week in some of our multimedia virtual encounters ...

            Vance
          • Don Carroll
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
              Tere (and all),

              Great map -- could you tell us newbies something about how your created it?

              Also, just as interesting as where webheads ARE in the world is where we
              are NOT. We are clearly NOT in Africa and NOT in Russia (or the former