Dennis: Dogme? Discussion in small groups. Dennis teaching ? 20 years ago

  • Dennis Newson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22, 2011
      Dear friends, with built-in apologies for cross posting:

      http://vimeo.com/26739743

      I have just uploaded to Vimeo a digitalised version of a video of me - sort
      of - teaching. The video turns out to be 20 years old. I see it as a lesson
      in the spirit of Dogme before I had heard of Dogme (Dogme ELT had not been
      founded then). In fact I was working with small groups of 4 students per
      group where students discussed a topic with engagement, even passion.
      Having set the whole thing up (chosing controvertial texts to act as an
      initiator which was read to each group by one person i.e. only one person
      per group had a text and the others were trained to say "Louder!" "What was
      that?" i.e. so that reading aloud, and listening had real communicative
      functions etc, and habituating them over several weeks to work in certain
      ways, getting used to my non-intervention, for example.....) I relaxed in
      the sun and listened attentively but never intervened. This was not textual
      comprehension. The text was just a starting point. In the video the task was
      for each group to draw up a number of statements reflecting their joint
      views on characteristic behavior of men/women. Not only did I never
      intervene, I hardly ever took any notes/or boarded for treatment afterwards
      - because I was sceptical how much learning for most of them resulted from
      this sort "matters arising" procedure - though I acknowledge (now) that
      some learners may learn in this way. But although my role was passive, I
      felt my presence was an essential part of the procedure. I took the view
      that e learning took place - if it did - as a product of the students'
      involvement in the ongoing discussion. Note they did sometimes ask each
      other how to say things, or for missing words. They never asked me.

      After all these years I still marvel at: (1) The fact that they were such
      jolly pleasant young people. (2) How deeply involved most of them got
      involved in the discussion,

      Comments?

      Dennis

      *

      *Dennis Newson*
      Formerly : University of Osnabrueck, GERMANY
      Committee member | Discussion List Manager | IATEFL YLT SIG
      Creator: YLTSIG NING <http://ylandtsig.ning.com/>
      Winner British Council ELT 05 Innovation Award
      Unrepentant grammarophobe
      YLTSIG Website <http://www.yltsig.org/>
      Yahoogroups YLTSIG: Subscribe: <:younglearners-subscribe@yahoogroups.com>

      YLTSIG Wiki resources:<http://yltsigwikiresource.pbworks.com/w/page/33485130/FrontPage>