week 3: more on my email book

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2, 2003
      Dear friends,

      Since we will also be talking about email this week, I thought it appropriate (and know some of you will enjoy it) to let you know that my book on email was referred on national public TV here in Portugal in a cultural program about the Arts in general that is highly considered though not seen by many people. Guess why?! The program is called Acontece (Going on).

      I did not see it, but an uncle of mine called immediately to let me know. Fortunately, there is the Internet, so I went to their site a couple of hours later and had access to the video. That is why I'm telling you all this, because those of you interested can go to

      http://www.rtp.pt/web/acontece/index.shtm

      Below the picture of the presenter, click on Real Video. You need Real One for this. A small window opens. Below the screen choose the date: 31-01-03 and OK. My name and book are metioned around 3:40, but you can start watching it around 3:00, because they are talking about books on the Internet - mine is the second.

      The information they give on my book is not accurate in the sense that it is not about the Internet in the classroom, but about email in the classroom. But anyone looking at the cover (the image on the video is not clear) could see that.

      Hope you can get to the site and take a look.

      BTW, does anybody know of any software that can capture that specific part of the video with an .avi extension? Joao, my husband, tried it with SnagIt, but he wasn't successful.

      Teresa

    • susannenyrop <s.nyrop@get2net.dk>
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2003
        Dear Tere,

        thank you for the introduction to our week 3.

        I tried your fine world map with pins on WIA locations,
        unfortunately I saw no mouseover changes or links? Did anyone
        else have this problem?

        http://www.malhatlantica.pt/teresadeca/webheads/wia-worldwid
        e.htm

        that's a good promotion for your book, and i hope that many
        teachers have had the opportunity to see the programme on TV,
        or find it later on the homepage.

        Hugs, Sus
      • cbauer-ramazani@smcvt.edu
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2003
          Hi Sus,
          The mouseover reveals the name of the person in that location. You're in
          Denmark I noticed, close to my home country of Germany.
          Christine

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2003
            Teresa,
            Your World Map is amazing! Beautiful job.
            Christine

          • Chris Jones
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2, 2003
              Hi, Tere,

              I thought your world map was very clever!!! However,
              I wondered if some of our boundary members may feel
              left out if they are not included.

              I haven't had time to look at your TV clip yet, but
              I'll do it later. I want to see my famous friend on
              TV!

              Chris Jones

              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            • Buthaina Othman
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 2, 2003
                Teresa,
                I went to the site and watched the program.I heard the
                presenter mentioning your name, (which was the only
                words I understood).We are so we proud of
                you. Congratulation.
                Hugs & kissesa
                Buth

                =====
                Buthaina Al-Othman
                EFL Instructor
                ELU/Faculty of Science
                Language Center-Kuwait University

                http://mailplus.yahoo.com
              • Dafne <dygonza@yahoo.com>
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 2, 2003
                  Dearest Tere,

                  What a great map! nice way to start the week, bringing the whole
                  world together in Webheads. We are on the map!!!

                  Maybe the members who have not been included could send a message
                  with their location so they can have their place there???

                  Thanks to the week 2 team, and good luck to the week 3 group!!
                  I foresee a very active week where we will see the concept of
                  scaffolding in action. According to what I have been told, and Tere's
                  message, today's TI sessionwas a great starter for this hands-on
                  week. Sorry I could not be there, but some civic action related to my
                  country kept me away from the computer.

                  Hugs and kisses,
                  Daf

                  PS: I will look at the tv clip tomorrow. Congrats dear Tere!!!

                • Vance Stevens <vstevens@emirates.net.ae>
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
                    --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Teresa Almeida d'Eca"
                    <tmvaz@m...> wrote:
                    > BTW, does anybody know of any software that can capture that
                    specific part of the video with an .avi extension? Joao, my husband,
                    tried it with SnagIt, but he wasn't successful.

                    > Teresa

                    I just looked up 'record streaming video' on Google

                    This site: http://www.research-j.org/e-
                    japanese/english/powertools/part3/chap1.html

                    Leads me to a site for ASFRecorder (in Polish) and this one:
                    http://www.hoonnet.com/

                    There's more on ASFRecorder here:
                    http://www.ravensperch.com/asfrecorder.shtml

                    Plus more at that google search.

                    Let us know if any of this works for you,

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
                      Don Carroll wrote:

                      > We are clearly NOT in Africa and NOT in Russia (or the former
                      > soviet republics), and NOT in the sub-continent. Is there anything we
                      > might be able to do to expand our geographic reach?
                      >
                      > --Don

                      I'm sure Teresa has done the best she could to pinpoint a the locations of just a few of the hundreds of Webheads in just one of the groups, the Webheads in Action. In this group, there are WIA members in Africa, notably Ismail and Randa Effat whom I saw at the recent EgypTesol conference. Ali from Morocco has unfortunately dropped out, but there is a W4W member from there. We have several members from the subcontinent in the W4W group, from India and Pakistan. There have been several members from Russia over the years (and Lena is still a member of this group, to mention one who participated a lot last year). There are also Halia and Sergei from Ukraine in the W4W and Teaching for Webheads groups, respectively.

                      I think it's a good idea if anyone wants to be added to the map if they can write Teresa and just say so. I'm also concerned that we involve our boundary members in this way. We encourage you to submit a photograph for inclusion on our website (you can upload it to our photos area or point to it on the web, or you can send a jpg to vance_stevens@...). We would also like to have your 100 word blurb and your url for our community page. We want to get to know everyone, and believe it or not, it's really possible for us to do that.

                      Here's how ...

                      This coming week we will be focusing on the tools that facilitate computer mediated communication. Maria asked for a clear definition of CMC and I guess I would say, as it applies to us and to language learning, it's using computers to put people in remote (from each other) locations in touch for the purpose of facilitating authentic and purposeful communication. This is in fact the practice that our community revolves around, and one of our purposes is to explore various ways that we can effect CMC.

                      Don sez: "I'd been wondering what webcaming brings to an online CoP like ours. As ScottLo said (via text I should point out) out: "it's fun." Despite my disappointment, I agree. It WAS fun to see faces "in motion" that I had only seen in stills on the community page before. But I have to say it was infinitely better to hear people's voice and (almost) have conversations."

                      Michael: "And yes, we technophiles will keep trying. That is in part why Webheads exists. We keep trying these things and watch their progression. And we have seen voice technology progress from being a similarly frustrating not-worth-the-effort experience to something that is now acceptable. The same will happen with the use of video, and when it happens Webheads will be there!"

                      Someone in Tapped In last night asked, aren't we going to talk about CMC?

                      I once went to a Richie Havens concert (remember him, Woodstock?). In the middle of the concert, he put aside his guitar and commenced a rambling monologue about the war in Vietnam. About 5 min into that someone in the audience shouted, "Sing!". Without missing a beat, he replied "I am singing!".

                      Excuse my rambling monologue, but what I'm trying to say is that CMC is what Webheads is all about, both a discussion of CMC tools, and more importantly, doing by trying them out on each other, and most importantly of all, communicating. This is the importance of video and voice. In addition to the text element where our thoughts are perhaps best conveyed, video and voice, for all their imperfections online, round out our communication. They help us to convey who we are in three dimensions (text, voice, and video). Video introduces our faces, our friends, our kids, and our surroundings. Don hasn't experienced one of our guitar jams yet. Talk about being underwhelmed, but I hope I'm getting across something of the nature of the almost inexplicable contribution that all these dimensions help us to convey about each other in an otherwise potentially flat virtual environment.

                      Try and join us next week in some of our multimedia virtual encounters ...

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
                        Don Carroll wrote:

> [...]

                        Try and join us next week in some of our multimedia virtual encounters ...

                        Vance
                      • Don Carroll
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 3, 2003
                          Tere (and all),

                          Great map -- could you tell us newbies something about how your created it?

                          Also, just as interesting as where webheads ARE in the world is where we
                          are NOT. We are clearly NOT in Africa and NOT in Russia (or the former