launch of week 3

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2003
      Dear friends,

      On behalf on Susanne and Rita, let me welcome you to what we hope will be an insightful week with lots of great and practical ideas on the topics for discussion.

      Before we get down to week 3 specifics, let me tell you what a great intro to it today's Tapped In and Yahoo Messenger sessions were. We had a great turnout (sorry I could only join you after 13.30 GMT) and once more tried out and experimented with the kinds of tools we will be talking about and using this week.

      Week 3 will deal with "Online communication tools that facilitate interaction of participants in a virtual community and their role in language learning". So we invite to start with a visit to our page at

      http://www.malhatlantica.pt/teresadeca/webheads/evonline2003/week3.htm

      where you will find:
      -- what we have planned for this week
      -- our online availability during the week
      -- suggested readings
      -- a link to our welcome messages
      -- a link to our Web pages
      -- links to my OLE and Email pages (where you have a collection of resources always 'under construction'; suggestions for add-ons are welcome!)
      -- links to several WiA Web pages.

      Since we have 6 topics to cover (please feel free to bring up other topics of interest!) and many of us have had quite a lot of practice with chat over the last year - some have even used it extensively in their teaching - we would like to ask you to start by concentrating on
      -- the role of (a)synchronous tools in language learning,
      -- how they can or should be used in the language classroom,
      -- practical applications/uses of the different chat modes and of email in language learning.

      We plan to be available online as much as possible for those of you interested in
      -- having one-on-one chats or conferences
      -- trying out audio and video at Yahoo Messenger (with Rita and me) or at iVisit (with Susanne)
      -- visiting the new Tapped In 2 and eventually becoming a member (you can the join our WiA group).

      A great week to you all,

      Teresa

    • Rita
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2003
        Dear members of this marvellous community,

        Like Susanne and Teresa, I welcome all and each of you to our week 3, hoping it will prove as enlightening and as interesting as the interchange we profited from during weeks 1 and 2.

        As from tomorrow, Monday 3rd and for a week, we will be exchanging ideas, suggestions and experiences on the use of Computer Mediated Communication tools, and on their possible use for language learning, as all of us, some way or other, have a true teaching heart, willing to expand itself giving, sharing, and adding to our common cause: keep this community alive.

        We look forward to meeting you all online, if you can, to enjoy experimenting together. And if you canĀ“t, we will appreciate your contributions on a topic that concerns us all, certainly, as pioneers of a world we have been fortunate to anticipate and participate in.

        All my best,

        Rita