Shuttle

  • Arlyn Freed
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
      I know this is 'off-topic' but I have also been deeply
      saddened by this loss, so much so that I wonder why.
      Why does the loss of these 7 resonate with such
      impact?

      I was watching the morning news when it was interupted
      by the announcement that contact had been lost 25
      minutes earlier. I cannot the describe the chill I
      felt, nor the deepening disbelief as events unraveled.

      I think, since I was a child when a man walked on the
      moon, the space program has always represented an
      'innocent' arm of the government for me. Of course
      this is a naive view. But the progress of the space
      program, the dreams it has made reality, and the
      international unity that seems at times only possible
      in space...

      These people -- mothers and fathers, scientists and
      soldiers, immigrants and visitors -- represented more
      than our fantasies of the future. They created a
      place where, for a short time, peace reigned and all
      peoples worked towards a common goal. In short, the
      astronauts force us to redefine ourselves, not by
      nationality or religion, but as human beings.

      I believe one of the astronauts was quoted as saying
      the Earth looked unbelievably peaceful from space.
      It's an image I'd like to hold onto -- maybe someday
      we can say the same without leaving the atmosphere.
      Best regards,
      Arlyn
      http://www.eslhome.com

      > Dear Maria,
      >
      > You're not alone. I too was shocked and dismayed
      upon hearing the
      > loss of the shuttle Columbia. I feel that this loss
      is something we
      > all share.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Azzam
      > United Arab Emirates
      >
      > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Maria
      Albers de
      > Urriola" <miaupju@c...> wrote:
      > > I don't know if it is because I'm very sensible
      these days due to
      > the troubles we are going thru, but I feel very sad
      with the news
      > about the Columbia. My condolences because the
      missing ones are
      > part of this global world, which I hope will be
      better day by day.

      =====
      Your new home for ESL...http://www.eslhome.com

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
        Arlyn,

        Congratulations on your very meaningful and at times moving words. I second
        everything you say.

        As for me, I was working in my room and just couldn't believe my 'ears' when
        my husband came in to tell me. I was shocked and reacted accordingly.

        I was just talking to my mother over the phone when your message came in,
        and we were also commenting on how we have all reacted so deeply to these
        seven deaths. The way I see it is that they were seven very courageous human
        beings carrying on experiments and risking their lives on behalf of
        humanity.

        Yes, Arlyn, I also heard that comment from one of the astronauts about how
        peaceful all this seemed down here. Seems hard to believe when we think of
        the immense problems and suffering all over!

        Have a peaceful week,

        Teresa