Re: [evonline2002_webheads] michael is in lisbon :-) Update and Sardines

  • michaelc@chariot.net.au
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 2, 2011
      And the sardines were great! Yes Vance - down by the beach, but we were in
      Belem. (And I think I even know how to pronounce it :)

      Re the recording of my presentation. I did record it but I can't get it off
      my mp3 player on my eeepc. Long story....but it may have to wait till I get
      home before I can post it.

      Now on to Cape Town!!! Thank you Lisbon, Teresa, Joao, Fernanda - as they say
      in the classics, it's been a blast :)

      - Michael

      =============================

      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 2, 2011
        Vance,

        I'm crossposting. Hope you don't mind.

        Buarcos seems absolutely possible as a place where you had sardines. I've
        never been there. It's a fishing village in the Figueira da Foz area (center
        north), where I've been a few times. Lovely area!
        http://www.panoramio.com/photo/3168288

        I'm going to upload photos from yesterday evening very soon. Fernanda,
        Michael, Joao and I had a fabulous time before, during and after dinner. I
        feel sorry that Michael is about to leave, but very happy that I had the
        chance to have show him a couple of places that I consider very special.

        In the meantime, here's a photostory of Monday afternoon in Obidos.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KrCCrhgkwg

        Hugs all, Teresa

        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 2, 2011
          Hi, Michael!

          We also had a blast hosting a part of your stay. Thank you for coming! :-)

          Safe traveling!

          Beijinhos (on on each cheek, Portuguese style) and a very warm hug, Teresa

          > And the sardines were great! Yes Vance - down by the beach, but we were in
          > Belem. (And I think I even know how to pronounce it :)
          >
          > Re the recording of my presentation. I did record it but I can't get it
          > off
          > my mp3 player on my eeepc. Long story....but it may have to wait till I
          > get
          > home before I can post it.
          >
          > Now on to Cape Town!!! Thank you Lisbon, Teresa, Joao, Fernanda - as they
          > say
          > in the classics, it's been a blast :)
          >
          > - Michael
          >
          > =============================
          > On Sat, Jul 2nd, 2011 at 5:01 PM, Vance Stevens <vancestev@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          >> I remember grilled sardines, in outdoor restaurants near the beach, in
          >> Buarcos, maybe ..
          >>
          >> enjoy
          >>
          >> Vance
          >>

          >> On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 7:36 PM, Teresa Almeida d'Eca
          >> <tmvaz@...>wrote:
          >> >
          >> > Hi, Vance!
          >> >
          >> > Thanks for the birthday greetings! :-)
          >> >
          >> > Yesterday Micahel and I had lunch with Jennifer Richardson, Larissa's
          >> PhD
          >> > advisor. Very pleasant. Than we headed out to Sintra and Cabo da Roca,
          >> the
          >> > westernmost point of Portugal and Europe.
          >> >
          >> > This evening we'll be having "fresh" grilled sardines and nice wine.
          >> > Michael
          >> > only remembers sardines in a can. This time he'll try the "real" thing.
          >> :-)
          >> >
          >> > Hugs, Teresa

        • John Hibbs
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 2, 2011
            Webheads is a remarkable, remarkable group for a thousand great reasons.

            Near the top of that Totem Pole is how friendly and warm are those
            one personally meets, especially on their home turf.

            At the very top of that section of the Totem Pole -- and deserving of
            the Gold Star -- is Teresa and Joao. Yes, they do have an advantage.
            Lisbon, Portugal, the places they find, are all exceptional; not to
            mention few residents look at you "funny" because you don't speak
            Portuguese; or laugh out load when you mangle the few words one is
            brave enough to voice.

            Michael's time in Portugal reminds me of my time there, with my time
            in Melbourne with Michael, his time with me in San Diego. (By the
            way, those are all three pretty darn nice places to visit!)

            Hats off to all Webheads -- and a big tip of the cap to Teresa and
            Joao, who provide World Class warmth, hospitality and grace.

            :)

          • John Hibbs

              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 2, 2011
                Dear John,

                You're exceedingly kind and leave me speechless. Thank you for your lovely
                warm words. :-)

                It's always a great pleasure to host dear friends such as you (Apr08),
                Isabel Teixeira (Jul09), Chris Jones (Jun09), Anne Fox (I didn't host her,
                but we met in Lisbon in Jun06), Graham Stanley (Feb05), Rita and Hector
                (Jan05), Claire at an APPI Conference (Apr04) and Sus (Apr02), as well as
                Jean Marc Dieu (May04) and Joti Coghlan (Dec04), both for dinner. And
                Michael this past week, as often as possible. (Hope I didn't miss anyone.)

                My photos are finally all up. Yesterday was a fantastic evening in many
                respects: the company, the conversation, a fabulous warm evening, the places
                we walked about, the sardines and white wine, and the pasteis de Belem.
                Michael said he'd easily eat 3-4. Absolutely!
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/teresadeca/sets/72157627067278008/

                I consider myself very lucky to have had so many Webhead friends visit me so
                far and hope many more will come. As you well say, John, it's a remarkable
                group. And Andy Pincon says that Webheads are unique. I agree 100% with both
                of you. Michael and I talked about these features and always ended up
                commenting what we would have missed had there been no Internet and no
                Webheads.

                Huge hugs all, Teresa

                > Webheads is a remarkable, remarkable group for a thousand great reasons.
                >
                > Near the top of that Totem Pole is how friendly and warm are those
                > one personally meets, especially on their home turf.
                >
                > At the very top of that section of the Totem Pole -- and deserving of
                > the Gold Star -- is Teresa and Joao. Yes, they do have an advantage.
                > Lisbon, Portugal, the places they find, are all exceptional; not to
                > mention few residents look at you "funny" because you don't speak
                > Portuguese; or laugh out load when you mangle the few words one is
                > brave enough to voice.
                >
                > Michael's time in Portugal reminds me of my time there, with my time
                > in Melbourne with Michael, his time with me in San Diego. (By the
                > way, those are all three pretty darn nice places to visit!)
                >
                > Hats off to all Webheads -- and a big tip of the cap to Teresa and
                > Joao, who provide World Class warmth, hospitality and grace.
                >
                > :)
                >

                > At 1:05 PM +0100 7/2/11, Teresa Almeida d'Eca wrote:
                >>Vance,
                >>
                >>I'm crossposting. Hope you don't mind.
                >>
                >>Buarcos seems absolutely possible as a place where you had sardines. I've
                >>never been there. It's a fishing village in the Figueira da Foz area
                >>(center
                >>north), where I've been a few times. Lovely area!
                >>http://www.panoramio.com/photo/3168288
                >>
                >>I'm going to upload photos from yesterday evening very soon. Fernanda,
                >>Michael, Joao and I had a fabulous time before, during and after dinner. I
                >>feel sorry that Michael is about to leave, but very happy that I had the
                >>chance to have show him a couple of places that I consider very special.
                >>
                >>In the meantime, here's a photostory of Monday afternoon in Obidos.
                >>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KrCCrhgkwg
                >>
                >>Hugs all, Teresa

              • Fernanda Rodrigues
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 2, 2011
                  Hi Michael and all

                  Everything was great! the sardines, the sunset, but mostly, the company!
                  We had a great time yesterday!
                  I hope you can come back soon, Michael, and enjoy your stay in SA.

                  You can see some photos here:
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/mfr2010/sets/72157627099339910/show/

                  beijinhos

                  Fernanda

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 2, 2011
                    Hi Fernanda!

                    Great photos! :-)

                    We certainly had a fabulous time yesterday evening! However, it's sad when
                    it comes to an end, but it also makes us appreciate those moments even more.
                    And... as I said yesterday, we're all very lucky because we're "just a click
                    away". :-)

                    Enjoy Capetown, Michael! And a safe trip back home.

                    Fernanda, I'm Cc:ing BaW11. As newcomers to the Webheads, I'm sure they
                    enjoy seeing what it feels like to be a Webhead and how happy Webheads are
                    when they get together f2f.

                    Beijinhos all, Teresa