Re: A grammar checker--Whitesmoke

  • Bauer-Ramazani, Christine
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2011
      Thanks, Vance, Ibrahim, Vanessa, and Nellie for your responses. While we have been using the grammar/writing checker in Word for many years, it has severe limitations, of course. While the teacher was not able to see the use of the software on the student's draft, there were remarkable differences that the student said were due to the grammar checker. Well, we'll have to see.

      As Vance already hinted, there could of course be other reasons for the remarkable improvement. Even if this grammar checker were the cause of such dramatic improvements, that in itself would raise some questions of how to use it in teaching and learning English.

      I did check out a couple more reviews and found the examples of what the software does on this one very interesting: http://www.book-writing-software.info/whitesmoke.php . Since our lab supervisor has already been asked to order it on review, I'll let you know what our teachers said when we have reviewed it. I just thought the student had stumbled upon some goldmine that had escaped me! And since I appreciate the expertise of Webheads, I thought I should check.

      Back with more at a later date! Have a good weekend everyone. It's Independence Day weekend here, so lots of parades and fireworks.

      Christine Bauer-Ramazani
      Saint Michael's College
      One Winooski Park
      Colchester, VT 05439-0253