Re: [evonline2002_webheads] A grammar checker--Whitesmoke

  • Ibrahim Rustamov
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2011
      I tried Whitesmoke trial version, I could not find anything interesting.
      Seems checks your input against its data in the clouds. In other words,
      its may not work independently without internet connectivity. My trial
      version as a malicious software added some add-ons to my Firefox browser
      making whitesmoke website as a default page etc. It cannot be removed
      even after the trial version have been uninstalled. There are some
      "reviews" about the software which are mostly affiliated with the software.

      Ultralingua Grammatica looks more reliable and affordable
      http://www.ultralingua.com/products/english-grammar-checker-grammatica.html
      and there are some professionals behind it about whom you can learn.

      Ibrahim

      On 7/1/2011 4:29 AM, Vance Stevens wrote:
      > It would be interesting to have more information on this software than from
      > this n size of 1 (or more information on how this result was achieved).
      > There are so many factors possible to explain improvement than from just use
      > of the software.
      >
      > Christine of course is well aware of that. She has a lot of students who
      > join webheads (she's possibly one of our best recruiters next to BaW :-)
      >
      > Why not put your students on to this and have them report back to
      > http://learning2gether.pbworks.com ?
      >
      > Vance
      >

      > On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 2:34 AM, Bauer-Ramazani, Christine<
      > cbauer-ramazani@...> wrote:
      >
      >> **
      >>

      >> Hi everyone,
      >>
      >> Do any of you have experience with a new type of software called WhiteSmoke
      >> Writer<http://www.whitesmoke.com/whitesmoke-writing-software.html>? A
      >> colleague of mine just heard about it from a student who used it on his
      >> third draft of an essay, which was phenomenally improved over drafts 1 and
      >> 2. We have ordered it on review for our program.
      >>
      >> Thank you!
      >>
      >> Here is what the Web site says:
      >> WhiteSmoke Writer 2011 is the latest version of WhiteSmoke's acclaimed
      >> writing and grammar software<
      >> http://www.whitesmoke.com/grammar-software.html>. A significant upgrade
      >> from WhiteSmoke 2009, WhiteSmoke Writer 2011 introduces new features and
      >> enhancements that make correcting and enhancing your writing a breeze. For
      >> writers of all skill level, WhiteSmoke Writer 2011 is the all-in-one
      >> solution for error-free and persuasive writing.
      >>
      >> Christine Bauer-Ramazani
      >> 2010 Chair, CALL-IS of TESOL
      >> Instructor, Applied Linguistics Department
      >> Saint Michael's College phone: 802-654-2642
      >> One Winooski Park fax: 802-654-2595
      >> Colchester, VT 05439-0253
      >> web site: academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/<
      >> http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/>
      >> online CALL course:
      >> academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_demo.htm
      >> <
      >> http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_demo.htm

    • Vanessa
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2011
        I've looked a bunch of them with an eye to how useful (or hindering)
        they would be to learners (NS & L2), especially ones working on their
        own or in large classes where feedback is limited.
        WhiteSmoke may be the best of the lot, which is not saying much. I'd
        like to see more information too. Sadly, a published NS writer running a
        local writing group recommended it as an editing for "professional
        writers."
        Vanessa
        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Vance Stevens
        <vancestev@...> wrote:

        > It would be interesting to have more information on this software than
        from
        > this n size of 1 (or more information on how this result was
        achieved).
        > There are so many factors possible to explain improvement than from
        just use
        > of the software.
        >
        > Christine of course is well aware of that. She has a lot of students
        who
        > join webheads (she's possibly one of our best recruiters next to BaW
        :-)

        > Why not put your students on to this and have them report back to
        > http://learning2gether.pbworks.com ?
        >
        > Vance
        >

        > On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 2:34 AM, Bauer-Ramazani, Christine <
        > cbauer-ramazani@... wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Hi everyone,
        > >
        > > Do any of you have experience with a new type of software called
        WhiteSmoke
        > > Writer<http://www.whitesmoke.com/whitesmoke-writing-software.html>?
        > > colleague of mine just heard about it from a student who used it on
        his
        > > third draft of an essay, which was phenomenally improved over drafts
        1 and
        > > 2. We have ordered it on review for our program.
        > >
        > > Thank you!
        > >
        > > Here is what the Web site says:
        > > WhiteSmoke Writer 2011 is the latest version of WhiteSmoke's
        acclaimed
        > > writing and grammar software<
        > > http://www.whitesmoke.com/grammar-software.html>. A significant
        upgrade
        > > from WhiteSmoke 2009, WhiteSmoke Writer 2011 introduces new features
        and
        > > enhancements that make correcting and enhancing your writing a
        breeze. For
        > > writers of all skill level, WhiteSmoke Writer 2011 is the all-in-one
        > > solution for error-free and persuasive writing.
        > >
        > > Christine Bauer-Ramazani
        > > 2010 Chair, CALL-IS of TESOL
        > > Instructor, Applied Linguistics Department
        > > Saint Michael's College phone: 802-654-2642
        > > One Winooski Park fax: 802-654-2595
        > > Colchester, VT 05439-0253
        > > web site: academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/<
        > > http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/>
        > > online CALL course:

        academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_demo.\
        htm
        > > <

        http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Onlin\
        e_demo.htm

        > --
        > Vance Stevens
        > http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
        > http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

      • Dr. Nellie Deutsch
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2011
          Hi Christine, Vance and Others,

          Whitesmoke is not so new. I have been involved with the company for a few years. I was given the program for free so I could promote it. It is not expensive but not all that great. Word has a grammar and spelling checker that is just as good so why pay for a program?

          > It would be interesting to have more information on this software than from
          > this n size of 1 (or more information on how this result was achieved).
          > There are so many factors possible to explain improvement than from just use
          > of the software.
          >
          > Christine of course is well aware of that. She has a lot of students who
          > join webheads (she's possibly one of our best recruiters next to BaW :-)
          >
          > Why not put your students on to this and have them report back to
          > http://learning2gether.pbworks.com ?
          >
          > Vance
          >

          > On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 2:34 AM, Bauer-Ramazani, Christine <
          > cbauer-ramazani@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Hi everyone,
          > >
          > > Do any of you have experience with a new type of software called WhiteSmoke
          > > Writer<http://www.whitesmoke.com/whitesmoke-writing-software.html>? A
          > > colleague of mine just heard about it from a student who used it on his
          > > third draft of an essay, which was phenomenally improved over drafts 1 and
          > > 2. We have ordered it on review for our program.
          > >
          > > Thank you!
          > >
          > > Here is what the Web site says:
          > > WhiteSmoke Writer 2011 is the latest version of WhiteSmoke's acclaimed
          > > writing and grammar software<
          > > http://www.whitesmoke.com/grammar-software.html>. A significant upgrade
          > > from WhiteSmoke 2009, WhiteSmoke Writer 2011 introduces new features and
          > > enhancements that make correcting and enhancing your writing a breeze. For
          > > writers of all skill level, WhiteSmoke Writer 2011 is the all-in-one
          > > solution for error-free and persuasive writing.
          > >
          > > Christine Bauer-Ramazani
          > > 2010 Chair, CALL-IS of TESOL
          > > Instructor, Applied Linguistics Department
          > > Saint Michael's College phone: 802-654-2642
          > > One Winooski Park fax: 802-654-2595
          > > Colchester, VT 05439-0253
          > > web site: academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/<
          > > http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/>
          > > online CALL course:
          > > academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_demo.htm
          > > <
          > > http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_demo.htm

          > --
          > Vance Stevens
          > http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
          > http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

        • Bauer-Ramazani, Christine
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2011
            Thanks, Vance, Ibrahim, Vanessa, and Nellie for your responses. While we have been using the grammar/writing checker in Word for many years, it has severe limitations, of course. While the teacher was not able to see the use of the software on the student's draft, there were remarkable differences that the student said were due to the grammar checker. Well, we'll have to see.

            As Vance already hinted, there could of course be other reasons for the remarkable improvement. Even if this grammar checker were the cause of such dramatic improvements, that in itself would raise some questions of how to use it in teaching and learning English.

            I did check out a couple more reviews and found the examples of what the software does on this one very interesting: http://www.book-writing-software.info/whitesmoke.php . Since our lab supervisor has already been asked to order it on review, I'll let you know what our teachers said when we have reviewed it. I just thought the student had stumbled upon some goldmine that had escaped me! And since I appreciate the expertise of Webheads, I thought I should check.

            Back with more at a later date! Have a good weekend everyone. It's Independence Day weekend here, so lots of parades and fireworks.

            Christine Bauer-Ramazani
            Saint Michael's College
            One Winooski Park
            Colchester, VT 05439-0253