A grammar checker--Whitesmoke

  • Bauer-Ramazani, Christine
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 29, 2011
      Hi everyone,

      Do any of you have experience with a new type of software called WhiteSmoke Writer<http://www.whitesmoke.com/whitesmoke-writing-software.html>? A colleague of mine just heard about it from a student who used it on his third draft of an essay, which was phenomenally improved over drafts 1 and 2. We have ordered it on review for our program.

      Thank you!

      Here is what the Web site says:
      WhiteSmoke Writer 2011 is the latest version of WhiteSmoke's acclaimed writing and grammar software<http://www.whitesmoke.com/grammar-software.html>. A significant upgrade from WhiteSmoke 2009, WhiteSmoke Writer 2011 introduces new features and enhancements that make correcting and enhancing your writing a breeze. For writers of all skill level, WhiteSmoke Writer 2011 is the all-in-one solution for error-free and persuasive writing.

      Christine Bauer-Ramazani
      2010 Chair, CALL-IS of TESOL
      Instructor, Applied Linguistics Department
      Saint Michael's College phone: 802-654-2642
      One Winooski Park fax: 802-654-2595
      Colchester, VT 05439-0253
      web site: academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/<http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/>
      online CALL course: academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_demo.htm<http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_demo.htm>

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2011
        It would be interesting to have more information on this software than from
        this n size of 1 (or more information on how this result was achieved).
        There are so many factors possible to explain improvement than from just use
        of the software.

        Christine of course is well aware of that. She has a lot of students who
        join webheads (she's possibly one of our best recruiters next to BaW :-)

        Why not put your students on to this and have them report back to
        http://learning2gether.pbworks.com ?

        Vance

        On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 2:34 AM, Bauer-Ramazani, Christine <
        cbauer-ramazani@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > Do any of you have experience with a new type of software called WhiteSmoke
        > Writer<http://www.whitesmoke.com/whitesmoke-writing-software.html>? A
        > colleague of mine just heard about it from a student who used it on his
        > third draft of an essay, which was phenomenally improved over drafts 1 and
        > 2. We have ordered it on review for our program.
        >
        > Thank you!
        >
        > Here is what the Web site says:
        > WhiteSmoke Writer 2011 is the latest version of WhiteSmoke's acclaimed
        > writing and grammar software<
        > http://www.whitesmoke.com/grammar-software.html>. A significant upgrade
        > from WhiteSmoke 2009, WhiteSmoke Writer 2011 introduces new features and
        > enhancements that make correcting and enhancing your writing a breeze. For
        > writers of all skill level, WhiteSmoke Writer 2011 is the all-in-one
        > solution for error-free and persuasive writing.
        >
        > Christine Bauer-Ramazani
        > 2010 Chair, CALL-IS of TESOL
        > Instructor, Applied Linguistics Department
        > Saint Michael's College phone: 802-654-2642
        > One Winooski Park fax: 802-654-2595
        > Colchester, VT 05439-0253
        > web site: academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/<
        > http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/>
        > online CALL course:
        > academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_demo.htm
        > <
        > http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_demo.htm

        Vance Stevens
        http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
        http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

      • Ibrahim Rustamov
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2011
          I tried Whitesmoke trial version, I could not find anything interesting.
          Seems checks your input against its data in the clouds. In other words,
          its may not work independently without internet connectivity. My trial
          version as a malicious software added some add-ons to my Firefox browser
          making whitesmoke website as a default page etc. It cannot be removed
          even after the trial version have been uninstalled. There are some
          "reviews" about the software which are mostly affiliated with the software.

          Ultralingua Grammatica looks more reliable and affordable
          http://www.ultralingua.com/products/english-grammar-checker-grammatica.html
          and there are some professionals behind it about whom you can learn.

          Ibrahim

          On 7/1/2011 4:29 AM, Vance Stevens wrote:
          > It would be interesting to have more information on this software than from
          > this n size of 1 (or more information on how this result was achieved).
          > There are so many factors possible to explain improvement than from just use
          > of the software.
          >
          > Christine of course is well aware of that. She has a lot of students who
          > join webheads (she's possibly one of our best recruiters next to BaW :-)
          >
          > Why not put your students on to this and have them report back to
          > http://learning2gether.pbworks.com ?
          >
          > Vance
          >

          > On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 2:34 AM, Bauer-Ramazani, Christine<
          > cbauer-ramazani@...> wrote:
          >
          >> **
          >>

          >> Hi everyone,
          >>
          >> Do any of you have experience with a new type of software called WhiteSmoke
          >> Writer<http://www.whitesmoke.com/whitesmoke-writing-software.html>? A
          >> colleague of mine just heard about it from a student who used it on his
          >> third draft of an essay, which was phenomenally improved over drafts 1 and
          >> 2. We have ordered it on review for our program.
          >>
          >> Thank you!
          >>
          >> Here is what the Web site says:
          >> WhiteSmoke Writer 2011 is the latest version of WhiteSmoke's acclaimed
          >> writing and grammar software<
          >> http://www.whitesmoke.com/grammar-software.html>. A significant upgrade
          >> from WhiteSmoke 2009, WhiteSmoke Writer 2011 introduces new features and
          >> enhancements that make correcting and enhancing your writing a breeze. For
          >> writers of all skill level, WhiteSmoke Writer 2011 is the all-in-one
          >> solution for error-free and persuasive writing.
          >>
          >> Christine Bauer-Ramazani
          >> 2010 Chair, CALL-IS of TESOL
          >> Instructor, Applied Linguistics Department
          >> Saint Michael's College phone: 802-654-2642
          >> One Winooski Park fax: 802-654-2595
          >> Colchester, VT 05439-0253
          >> web site: academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/<
          >> http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/>
          >> online CALL course:
          >> academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_demo.htm
          >> <
          >> http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_demo.htm

        • Vanessa
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2011
            I've looked a bunch of them with an eye to how useful (or hindering)
            they would be to learners (NS & L2), especially ones working on their
            own or in large classes where feedback is limited.
            WhiteSmoke may be the best of the lot, which is not saying much. I'd
            like to see more information too. Sadly, a published NS writer running a
            local writing group recommended it as an editing for "professional
            writers."
            Vanessa
            --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, Vance Stevens
            <vancestev@...> wrote:

            > It would be interesting to have more information on this software than
            from
            > this n size of 1 (or more information on how this result was
            achieved).
            > There are so many factors possible to explain improvement than from
            just use
            > of the software.
            >
            > Christine of course is well aware of that. She has a lot of students
            who
            > join webheads (she's possibly one of our best recruiters next to BaW
            :-)

            > Why not put your students on to this and have them report back to
            > http://learning2gether.pbworks.com ?
            >
            > Vance
            >

            > On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 2:34 AM, Bauer-Ramazani, Christine <
            > cbauer-ramazani@... wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Hi everyone,
            > >
            > > Do any of you have experience with a new type of software called
            WhiteSmoke
            > > Writer<http://www.whitesmoke.com/whitesmoke-writing-software.html>?
            > > colleague of mine just heard about it from a student who used it on
            his
            > > third draft of an essay, which was phenomenally improved over drafts
            1 and
            > > 2. We have ordered it on review for our program.
            > >
            > > Thank you!
            > >
            > > Here is what the Web site says:
            > > WhiteSmoke Writer 2011 is the latest version of WhiteSmoke's
            acclaimed
            > > writing and grammar software<
            > > http://www.whitesmoke.com/grammar-software.html>. A significant
            upgrade
            > > from WhiteSmoke 2009, WhiteSmoke Writer 2011 introduces new features
            and
            > > enhancements that make correcting and enhancing your writing a
            breeze. For
            > > writers of all skill level, WhiteSmoke Writer 2011 is the all-in-one
            > > solution for error-free and persuasive writing.
            > >
            > > Christine Bauer-Ramazani
            > > 2010 Chair, CALL-IS of TESOL
            > > Instructor, Applied Linguistics Department
            > > Saint Michael's College phone: 802-654-2642
            > > One Winooski Park fax: 802-654-2595
            > > Colchester, VT 05439-0253
            > > web site: academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/<
            > > http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/>
            > > online CALL course:

            academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Online_demo.\
            htm
            > > <

            http://academics.smcvt.edu/cbauer-ramazani/gsl520_online/demo/CALL_Onlin\
            e_demo.htm

            > --
            > Vance Stevens
            > http://adVancEducation.blogspot.com
            > http://vancesdiveblogs.blogspot.com

          • Dr. Nellie Deutsch
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1, 2011
              Hi Christine, Vance and Others,

              Whitesmoke is not so new. I have been involved with the company for a few years. I was given the program for free so I could promote it. It is not expensive but not all that great. Word has a grammar and spelling checker that is just as good so why pay for a program?

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 1, 2011
                Thanks, Vance, Ibrahim, Vanessa, and Nellie for your responses. While we have been using the grammar/writing checker in Word for many years, it has severe limitations, of course. While the teacher was not able to see the use of the software on the student's draft, there were remarkable differences that the student said were due to the grammar checker. Well, we'll have to see.

                As Vance already hinted, there could of course be other reasons for the remarkable improvement. Even if this grammar checker were the cause of such dramatic improvements, that in itself would raise some questions of how to use it in teaching and learning English.

                I did check out a couple more reviews and found the examples of what the software does on this one very interesting: http://www.book-writing-software.info/whitesmoke.php . Since our lab supervisor has already been asked to order it on review, I'll let you know what our teachers said when we have reviewed it. I just thought the student had stumbled upon some goldmine that had escaped me! And since I appreciate the expertise of Webheads, I thought I should check.

                Back with more at a later date! Have a good weekend everyone. It's Independence Day weekend here, so lots of parades and fireworks.

                Christine Bauer-Ramazani
                Saint Michael's College
                One Winooski Park
                Colchester, VT 05439-0253