winding up week 2

  • Chris Jones
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2003
      Hi, all,

      There's been such a great discussion all week about
      the definition of CoPs that I was rather surprised
      that the list was so quiet today.

      In finishing up week 2 in the next 24 hours of so,
      perhaps we could address the last question on the
      assignment: Tell what characteristics would deter you
      and/or have deterred you from continuing your
      involvement in a CoP. Briefly explain why these
      characteristics make a difference for you.

      Chris Jones

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 3, 2003
        Chris Jones wrote:

        > what characteristics would deter you
        > and/or have deterred you from continuing your
        > involvement in a CoP. Briefly explain why these
        > characteristics make a difference for you.

        I've been wondering about this because I see when people leave Webheads. I often wonder what makes them go. I guess it's like giving a presentation at a TESOL conference, that back door is revolving all the time, people coming and going, in and out. You have to assume that if they need to leave, fine, it was nice they spent a few minutes at your presentation, and there are lots of reasons they have to go. They are busy, they have other appointments, they got what they needed from you and and now feel they could best spend their limited time somewhere else. And you are focused on the audience here and now and hardly note their departure.

        In the Webheads lists, several people sign on and populate our rolls for a few weeks then just as silently unsubscribe. I guess these people didn't feel they were able or wanted to integrate into our community. Or perhaps it didn't seem to meet their needs. I have joined groups which I didn't feel comfortable with because they were making too many assumptions about each other, and the topic wasn't right on target for me personally, so the bulk of emails was interpersonal and wasn't justifying what I was getting from the reading load.

        The ones I hate to see go are the ones who HAVE contributed in the past, who have sent their photographs, and who have joined us in online chats, but who decide for whatever reason that it's time for them to move on. It could be a shift in personal fortune or a change in direction professionally, or as Chris pointed out, they are too far above or beneath our level of discourse. I would like to know more about why people leave under these circumstances but once they are gone it's too late to ask.

        In a sense this is what Chris is asking now while you are all still with us, so if you are considering leaving, it would be interesting to know why.

        I don't really expect an answer. And anyway, I'm focused on the here and now. And we're moving on to Week 3.

        Oh, incidentally, while I have your attention, a big hand for Chris, Christine, and John. This summary page at http://www.geocities.com/edtec2002/week2.htm is just great. The quality of moderation so far has been excellent. And there's much more to come, as evidenced by this week's team webpage. Stay tuned ...