Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: Shuttle

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
      Ironically this happened right about the time that some webheads would have been gathering at Tapped In for the
      Saturday 16:00 GMT weekly sessions. I wonder who was there and what the mood was. It's dominating the news
      here of course, that and the usual threats to this part of the world.

      I have a regular event on Saturdays that sometimes draws me off to dinner at someone's house, and when that
      happens, as it did last night, it's right at the time of this meeting.

      However, I look forward to meeting as many of you as possible today, Sunday noon GMT, at
      http://www.tappedin.org I brought my web cam to work with me this time.

      Hope to SEE you there,

      Vance

      "Azzam Premji " wrote:

      > Dear Maria,
      >
      > You're not alone. I too was shocked and dismayed upon hearing the
      > loss of the shuttle Columbia. I feel that this loss is something we
      > all share.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Azzam
      > United Arab Emirates
      >
      > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Maria Albers de
      > Urriola" <miaupju@c...> wrote:
      > > I don't know if it is because I'm very sensible these days due to
      > the troubles we are going thru, but I feel very sad with the news
      > about the Columbia. My condolences because the missing ones are
      > part of this global world, which I hope will be better day by day.
      > > María Irene
      > > Valencia, Venezuela

      > For more information:
      >
      > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

    • Arlyn Freed
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
        I know this is 'off-topic' but I have also been deeply
        saddened by this loss, so much so that I wonder why.
        Why does the loss of these 7 resonate with such
        impact?

        I was watching the morning news when it was interupted
        by the announcement that contact had been lost 25
        minutes earlier. I cannot the describe the chill I
        felt, nor the deepening disbelief as events unraveled.

        I think, since I was a child when a man walked on the
        moon, the space program has always represented an
        'innocent' arm of the government for me. Of course
        this is a naive view. But the progress of the space
        program, the dreams it has made reality, and the
        international unity that seems at times only possible
        in space...

        These people -- mothers and fathers, scientists and
        soldiers, immigrants and visitors -- represented more
        than our fantasies of the future. They created a
        place where, for a short time, peace reigned and all
        peoples worked towards a common goal. In short, the
        astronauts force us to redefine ourselves, not by
        nationality or religion, but as human beings.

        I believe one of the astronauts was quoted as saying
        the Earth looked unbelievably peaceful from space.
        It's an image I'd like to hold onto -- maybe someday
        we can say the same without leaving the atmosphere.
        Best regards,
        Arlyn
        http://www.eslhome.com

        =====
        Your new home for ESL...http://www.eslhome.com

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
          Arlyn,

          Congratulations on your very meaningful and at times moving words. I second
          everything you say.

          As for me, I was working in my room and just couldn't believe my 'ears' when
          my husband came in to tell me. I was shocked and reacted accordingly.

          I was just talking to my mother over the phone when your message came in,
          and we were also commenting on how we have all reacted so deeply to these
          seven deaths. The way I see it is that they were seven very courageous human
          beings carrying on experiments and risking their lives on behalf of
          humanity.

          Yes, Arlyn, I also heard that comment from one of the astronauts about how
          peaceful all this seemed down here. Seems hard to believe when we think of
          the immense problems and suffering all over!

          Have a peaceful week,

          Teresa