Re: Shuttle

  • Azzam Premji <azzam_p@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
      Dear Maria,

      You're not alone. I too was shocked and dismayed upon hearing the
      loss of the shuttle Columbia. I feel that this loss is something we
      all share.

      Regards,
      Azzam
      United Arab Emirates

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Maria Albers de
      Urriola" <miaupju@c...> wrote:
      > I don't know if it is because I'm very sensible these days due to
      the troubles we are going thru, but I feel very sad with the news
      about the Columbia. My condolences because the missing ones are
      part of this global world, which I hope will be better day by day.

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
        Ironically this happened right about the time that some webheads would have been gathering at Tapped In for the
        Saturday 16:00 GMT weekly sessions. I wonder who was there and what the mood was. It's dominating the news
        here of course, that and the usual threats to this part of the world.

        I have a regular event on Saturdays that sometimes draws me off to dinner at someone's house, and when that
        happens, as it did last night, it's right at the time of this meeting.

        However, I look forward to meeting as many of you as possible today, Sunday noon GMT, at
        http://www.tappedin.org I brought my web cam to work with me this time.

        Hope to SEE you there,

        Vance

        "Azzam Premji " wrote:

        > Dear Maria,
        >
        > You're not alone. I too was shocked and dismayed upon hearing the
        > loss of the shuttle Columbia. I feel that this loss is something we
        > all share.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Azzam
        > United Arab Emirates
        >
        > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Maria Albers de
        > Urriola" <miaupju@c...> wrote:
        > > I don't know if it is because I'm very sensible these days due to
        > the troubles we are going thru, but I feel very sad with the news
        > about the Columbia. My condolences because the missing ones are
        > part of this global world, which I hope will be better day by day.
        > > María Irene
        > > Valencia, Venezuela

        > For more information:
        >
        > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

      • Arlyn Freed
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
          I know this is 'off-topic' but I have also been deeply
          saddened by this loss, so much so that I wonder why.
          Why does the loss of these 7 resonate with such
          impact?

          I was watching the morning news when it was interupted
          by the announcement that contact had been lost 25
          minutes earlier. I cannot the describe the chill I
          felt, nor the deepening disbelief as events unraveled.

          I think, since I was a child when a man walked on the
          moon, the space program has always represented an
          'innocent' arm of the government for me. Of course
          this is a naive view. But the progress of the space
          program, the dreams it has made reality, and the
          international unity that seems at times only possible
          in space...

          These people -- mothers and fathers, scientists and
          soldiers, immigrants and visitors -- represented more
          than our fantasies of the future. They created a
          place where, for a short time, peace reigned and all
          peoples worked towards a common goal. In short, the
          astronauts force us to redefine ourselves, not by
          nationality or religion, but as human beings.

          I believe one of the astronauts was quoted as saying
          the Earth looked unbelievably peaceful from space.
          It's an image I'd like to hold onto -- maybe someday
          we can say the same without leaving the atmosphere.
          Best regards,
          Arlyn
          http://www.eslhome.com

          =====
          Your new home for ESL...http://www.eslhome.com

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
            Arlyn,

            Congratulations on your very meaningful and at times moving words. I second
            everything you say.

            As for me, I was working in my room and just couldn't believe my 'ears' when
            my husband came in to tell me. I was shocked and reacted accordingly.

            I was just talking to my mother over the phone when your message came in,
            and we were also commenting on how we have all reacted so deeply to these
            seven deaths. The way I see it is that they were seven very courageous human
            beings carrying on experiments and risking their lives on behalf of
            humanity.

            Yes, Arlyn, I also heard that comment from one of the astronauts about how
            peaceful all this seemed down here. Seems hard to believe when we think of
            the immense problems and suffering all over!

            Have a peaceful week,

            Teresa