Shuttle

  • Maria Albers de Urriola
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
      I don't know if it is because I'm very sensible these days due to the troubles we are going thru, but I feel very sad with the news about the Columbia. My condolences because the missing ones are part of this global world, which I hope will be better day by day.
      María Irene
      Valencia, Venezuela

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
        Dear Maria,

        You're not alone. I too was shocked and dismayed upon hearing the
        loss of the shuttle Columbia. I feel that this loss is something we
        all share.

        Regards,
        Azzam
        United Arab Emirates

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Maria Albers de

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2003
          Ironically this happened right about the time that some webheads would have been gathering at Tapped In for the
          Saturday 16:00 GMT weekly sessions. I wonder who was there and what the mood was. It's dominating the news
          here of course, that and the usual threats to this part of the world.

          I have a regular event on Saturdays that sometimes draws me off to dinner at someone's house, and when that
          happens, as it did last night, it's right at the time of this meeting.

          However, I look forward to meeting as many of you as possible today, Sunday noon GMT, at
          http://www.tappedin.org I brought my web cam to work with me this time.

          Hope to SEE you there,

          Vance

          "Azzam Premji " wrote:

          > Dear Maria,
          >
          > You're not alone. I too was shocked and dismayed upon hearing the
          > loss of the shuttle Columbia. I feel that this loss is something we
          > all share.
          >
          > Regards,
          > Azzam
          > United Arab Emirates
          >
          > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Maria Albers de
          > Urriola" <miaupju@c...> wrote:
          > > I don't know if it is because I'm very sensible these days due to
          > the troubles we are going thru, but I feel very sad with the news
          > about the Columbia. My condolences because the missing ones are
          > part of this global world, which I hope will be better day by day.
          > > María Irene
          > > Valencia, Venezuela

          > For more information:
          >
          > When replying to postings, please delete this footer and any other extraneous text from the reply - Thanks!!

        • Arlyn Freed
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
            I know this is 'off-topic' but I have also been deeply
            saddened by this loss, so much so that I wonder why.
            Why does the loss of these 7 resonate with such
            impact?

            I was watching the morning news when it was interupted
            by the announcement that contact had been lost 25
            minutes earlier. I cannot the describe the chill I
            felt, nor the deepening disbelief as events unraveled.

            I think, since I was a child when a man walked on the
            moon, the space program has always represented an
            'innocent' arm of the government for me. Of course
            this is a naive view. But the progress of the space
            program, the dreams it has made reality, and the
            international unity that seems at times only possible
            in space...

            These people -- mothers and fathers, scientists and
            soldiers, immigrants and visitors -- represented more
            than our fantasies of the future. They created a
            place where, for a short time, peace reigned and all
            peoples worked towards a common goal. In short, the
            astronauts force us to redefine ourselves, not by
            nationality or religion, but as human beings.

            I believe one of the astronauts was quoted as saying
            the Earth looked unbelievably peaceful from space.
            It's an image I'd like to hold onto -- maybe someday
            we can say the same without leaving the atmosphere.
            Best regards,
            Arlyn
            http://www.eslhome.com

            =====
            Your new home for ESL...http://www.eslhome.com

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
              Arlyn,

              Congratulations on your very meaningful and at times moving words. I second
              everything you say.

              As for me, I was working in my room and just couldn't believe my 'ears' when
              my husband came in to tell me. I was shocked and reacted accordingly.

              I was just talking to my mother over the phone when your message came in,
              and we were also commenting on how we have all reacted so deeply to these
              seven deaths. The way I see it is that they were seven very courageous human
              beings carrying on experiments and risking their lives on behalf of
              humanity.

              Yes, Arlyn, I also heard that comment from one of the astronauts about how
              peaceful all this seemed down here. Seems hard to believe when we think of
              the immense problems and suffering all over!

              Have a peaceful week,

              Teresa