dafne's chinese new year wishes

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2003
      Dear Daf,

      Thanks for the Chinese New Year wishes. Seaking for myself, this is a
      concrete example of the broadening of horizons that being a part of this
      online community/CoP (?) has meant. Had I not been in contact with
      colleagues from that part of the world, I know I would not pay any special
      attention to this celebration. Well, I have found myself watching closely on
      TV some pieces of news of cultural events that have been going on in China
      in the last few days.

      My professional and personal life had never brought me in close contact with
      the Orient or the oriental culture, and I have learned quite a bit through
      our fellow Webheads originating from that part of the world - Aiden and her
      students, Yaodong - and from colleagues living and working there, or who
      have travelled extensively in those parts of the world.

      WiA has also given us all, I think, a closer connection to, awareness and
      knowledge of different cultures, ways of life and thinking, and of problems
      and situations, some more serious than others, among many other things,
      which has been extremely enriching for me both professionally and
      personnally speaking.

      IMHO, this is yet another example of the type of close contact and knowledge
      I don't get in a list (based on my experience). Whether this counts in favor
      of WiA being a CoP, I'm not sure, though I think it should. I see it as a
      result of the practice we carry on through which implicit knowledge is
      constantly transmitted via the socializing and the story telling that are a
      significant part of our practice.

      I will stop here, because I have just heard about the news of the shuttle
      and would like to follow closely for a while. No doubt we are going through
      very troubled times all over.

      But before I go: Aiden, Yaodong and all other WiA members from this part of
      the world, my best wishes to you and your families in the new year.

      Teresa