Flipping my classroom

  • dk
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2011
      I have "flipped my classroom" this past term.

      I teach my college students every Tuesday and Thursday. On Thursday I give
      them an assignment which is not homework to review a lesson but it is the
      actual lesson. The students teach themselves this lesson. Then the next week
      the first thing we do in our Tuesday class is to do a quick paper quiz with
      just nine questions. Students who score 90-100% on this quiz will "test out"
      of the Thursday class. They don't need to come to the Thursday class.
      Instead I send them to another room where they will spend the class time
      watching an English movie.

      The students who do not test out will come to the regular class and I will
      go over the material that they didn't do or get well enough. There is a high
      motivation to "test out" of class.

      The dynamic is that the brighter and/or more diligent students get more
      challenging English. The slower and/or lazier students get more personal
      attention.

      Dave Kees

      Email - DAVEKEES@...

      Chat - Skype:DAVEKEES

      Blog - http://davekees.wordpress.com/

      TEFL TEACHERS

      Insights, ideas, opinions, tips, debates from TEFL teachers around the
      world!

      Blog - http://teflteachers.wordpress.com/