Advantages and Disadvateges of computer-based quizzes V.S paper-based

  • morteza barin
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 14, 2011
      Hi Dear All ,
      If possible plz leave comments on:
      Advantages and Disadvateges of computer-based quizzes V.S paper-based
      Using computer-based tools for testing our students knowledge of
      English language is one of the tools which can help teachers and test
      administers for quick and new tools.I myself as an EFL teacher in Iran
      would like to know your views on using such kinds of quizzes.

      Best wishes-Morteza Barin

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 14, 2011
        Hi, Morteza!

        As I'm keyboarding a few advantages come to my mind:
        -- extra practice outside of class at students' own pace
        -- possibility of getting feedback and correcting mistakes
        -- getting scores at the end to know how well they did
        -- ability to cater to different learning styles because of the variety of
        software available
        -- improving basic skills in a motivational way (for many students, at
        least, as far as my experience goes)
        -- develop learner autonomy...

        I'm not saying there aren't disadvantages, but at this point none occur.

        Hope this helps.

        Cheers, Teresa

        > Advantages and Disadvateges of computer-based quizzes V.S paper-based
        > Using computer-based tools for testing our students knowledge of
        > English language is one of the tools which can help teachers and test
        > administers for quick and new tools.I myself as an EFL teacher in Iran
        > would like to know your views on using such kinds of quizzes.
        >
        > Best wishes-Morteza Barin
      • Maria Irene Albers
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 14, 2011
          Hi Morteza,

          I would add to Tere's considerations:
          -inmediateness, the student would get the score and feedback as soon as he
          finishes the test, which is really important as time is a factor to consider in
          reinforcing skills.

          Greetings from Valencia, Venezuela,

          María Irene Albers de Urriola
          Departamento de Idiomas Modernos
          Facultad de Ciencias de la Educación
          Universidad de Carabobo

          ________________________________

          > Advantages and Disadvateges of computer-based quizzes V.S paper-based
          > Using computer-based tools for testing our students knowledge of
          > English language is one of the tools which can help teachers and test
          > administers for quick and new tools.I myself as an EFL teacher in Iran
          > would like to know your views on using such kinds of quizzes.
          >
          > Best wishes-Morteza Barin

        • Mary
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 14, 2011
            Online quizzes are interctive and game like, whereas paper and pencil
            quizzes are not interactive. Online quizes can incorporate sound, which is
            useful for listening exercises or interesting and motivating audio feedback
            on right and wrong answers (cheering for correct answer or sad sound for
            wrong answer). Online exercises can incorporate video as well.

            Online exercises can be more environmently friendly, as they may save on
            paper usage, if they are not printed out.

            Disadvantages are they may not be accessible to all classrooms, as some
            classrooms are still without internet access, although I suppose some
            electronic exercises could be locally stored on the teacher's computer in
            the form of a PowerPoint or Hypercard studio stack.

            2011/6/14 Maria Irene Albers <miaupju@...>

            > Hi Morteza,
            >
            > I would add to Tere's considerations:
            > -inmediateness, the student would get the score and feedback as soon as he
            > finishes the test, which is really important as time is a factor to
            > consider in
            > reinforcing skills.
            >
            > Greetings from Valencia, Venezuela,
            >
            > Mar�a Irene Albers de Urriola
            > Departamento de Idiomas Modernos
            > Facultad de Ciencias de la Educaci�n
            > Universidad de Carabobo
            >
            > ________________________________

            � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � �

            � � � � � � ? /

          • Ali Boumoussa
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 14, 2011
              Hi Webheads,

              Can I suggest that we use the following tool to follow the thread of
              suggestions?
              http://tricider.com/t/decide/en?admin=3MfPR&show=1wXh
              Ali

              On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 6:54 AM, morteza barin <mbarin623@...> wrote:

              > Hi Dear All ,
              > If possible plz leave comments on:
              > Advantages and Disadvateges of computer-based quizzes V.S paper-based
              > Using computer-based tools for testing our students knowledge of
              > English language is one of the tools which can help teachers and test
              > administers for quick and new tools.I myself as an EFL teacher in Iran
              > would like to know your views on using such kinds of quizzes.
              >
              > Best wishes-Morteza Barin

            • Mary
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 14, 2011
                It might be a nice way to keep track of responses if the question is cross
                posted to other lists?

                2011/6/14 Ali Boumoussa <ali_boumoussa@...>

                > Hi Webheads,
                >
                > Can I suggest that we use the following tool to follow the thread of
                > suggestions?
                > http://tricider.com/t/decide/en?admin=3MfPR&show=1wXh
                > Ali
                >
                > On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 6:54 AM, morteza barin <mbarin623@...>
                > wrote:
                >

                > > Hi Dear All ,
                > > If possible plz leave comments on:
                > > Advantages and Disadvateges of computer-based quizzes V.S paper-based
                > > Using computer-based tools for testing our students knowledge of
                > > English language is one of the tools which can help teachers and test
                > > administers for quick and new tools.I myself as an EFL teacher in Iran
                > > would like to know your views on using such kinds of quizzes.
                > >
                > > Best wishes-Morteza Barin

                À Á Â Ã Ç É Ê Í Ó Ô Õ Ú Ü à á â ã ç é ê

                í ó ô õ ú ü ? /