Re: The Filter Bubble - a new problem

  • ElizabethA
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 13, 2011
      Elizabeth - thank you so much for taking the time to reply [:)]
      I obviously need to check my settings on diigo, google and/or Firefox -
      goodness! But there's definitely no automatic logout at present (I've
      just spent the W/E on my computer !)

      Actually your question "are the students logged in to their own
      accounts" opens a new question for me .. I was going to say "yes"
      because we work wifi in class, (I have 18 netbooks in a plugged in
      mobile cupboard, and the other teachers haven't got wise on their
      potential yet !) so although our wifi connection no longer goes
      through a VPN, access to the internet is of course pasword protected,
      that's why I was going to say yes - but in fact I guess you mean are
      they logged in to their Google account .... I don't think so, but that's
      something I'll have to observe next term - thanks

      As for your last question ... I checked it out .... and the words were
      "makes it hard not to long for ..." [;)]
      so from one here and now Elizabeth to another
      bye - and thanks

      --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Elizabeth
      Hanson-Smith" <ehansonsmi@...> wrote:

      > Hi ElizabethA--
      >
      > I use Diigo quite frequently, and sign in using my Google Id for my
      personal account, and a separate ID and PW for the CALL_IS_VSL account.
      I added the Diigo toolbar to Firefox on some of my desktops, and use the
      Diigolet toolbar on my netbook and laptop (takes less real estate). I
      have a gmail account, but don't use it frequently.

      > So I can't figure out where the problem is for you? I find that Diigo
      automatically signs me out at least daily, usually after an hour or so,
      as does Google. (I'd rather stay signed in but it is safer this way.)
      Maybe if you use the Diigo toolbar in your browser it would behave for
      you? (I am using Firefox/Mozilla on an iMac Intel OS X.5.) And I do
      think it is wise to sign out of sites like Yahoo and Google before going
      anywhere else.

      > It is indeed interesting that students in a class will hit different
      starting lists/pages when they do the same Google search. Are they (or
      some of them) signed in to their own accounts when they use the search
      function? I agree with the interview Bee sent--there is already too much
      personalization of the Internet, and we are becoming dumber because of
      it!

      > Was it me who longed for the good ole days, or did you mean Bee? I am
      a here-and-nower, as much as possible!

      > Cheers--
      > --ElizabethHS
      >

      > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "ElizabethA"
      eanne_grenoble@ wrote:

      > > Thanks B for bringing Eli Pariser to the Webheads - I just watched
      his 8 minute Ted Talk too which someone may also have mentioned.

      > > My new problemis that I cannot manage to disconnect my diigo account
      from google. (...)
      > > amiti�s
      > > ElizabethA

    • Vance
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 16, 2011
        I just came across another On the Media podcast on this topic

        http://www.onthemedia.org/2011/jun/17/echo-chamber-revisited/

        Vance