Re: [evonline2002_webheads] Re: The Filter Bubble - a new problem

  • Barbara Dieu
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 11, 2011
      I have been following this bubble/privacy affair closely and more
      voices are raising the subject.
      Evgeny Morozov, who wrote the book The Net Delusion: The Dark Side of
      Internet Freedom, reviews Pariser's book on NYTimes.
      http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/12/books/review/book-review-the-filter-bubble-by-eli-pariser.html

      You can also watch Eben Moglen at the Personal Democracy Forum : The
      alternate net we need.
      http://www.livestream.com/pdf2011/video?clipId=pla_8ad51bab-a440-4e9b-87c8-6e0b9e196903

      Enjoy your weekend!
      B.

      --
      Barbara Dieu
      http://barbaradieu.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 12, 2011
        Hi ElizabethA--

        I use Diigo quite frequently, and sign in using my Google Id for my personal account, and a separate ID and PW for the CALL_IS_VSL account. I added the Diigo toolbar to Firefox on some of my desktops, and use the Diigolet toolbar on my netbook and laptop (takes less real estate). I have a gmail account, but don't use it frequently.

        So I can't figure out where the problem is for you? I find that Diigo automatically signs me out at least daily, usually after an hour or so, as does Google. (I'd rather stay signed in but it is safer this way.) Maybe if you use the Diigo toolbar in your browser it would behave for you? (I am using Firefox/Mozilla on an iMac Intel OS X.5.) And I do think it is wise to sign out of sites like Yahoo and Google before going anywhere else.

        It is indeed interesting that students in a class will hit different starting lists/pages when they do the same Google search. Are they (or some of them) signed in to their own accounts when they use the search function? I agree with the interview Bee sent--there is already too much personalization of the Internet, and we are becoming dumber because of it!

        Was it me who longed for the good ole days, or did you mean Bee? I am a here-and-nower, as much as possible!

        Cheers--
        --ElizabethHS

        --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "ElizabethA" <eanne_grenoble@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Vance for bringing this back to the top of the pile.
        > Although I had noticed that the students in class get a different "first page" when we all do the same Google search (for a class exercise :-) I always just shrugged it off.
        > On the other hand - it's great not having to feel silly anymore as I did yesterday during a training session for teacher when, before going to google docs, I first signed out of the google front page as I always do ! (well, thats just one extra little hurdle for big-brother to jump)
        > Thanks B for bringing Eli Pariser to the Webheads - I just watched his 8 minute Ted Talk too which someone may also have mentioned.
        >
        > My new problem is caused by moving from del.ici.us to diigo after being scared off delicious by the new terms of use it requires following its recent acquisition (you may not have noticed that - because it was specifically about delicious coming under the US data laws, which are not the same as those in Europe) ANYWAY, this move was a jump in the dark, because now (and I think it's new today) I cannot manage to disconnect my diigo account from google. Today my google search page, which I THINK is coming to me through diigo, does actually announce "custom search" in the middle of the page under the logo,(have Eli Pariser's words been heard already?) but it has lost it's easily available "sign out" option.
        > In the end, I signed out of diigo .... so it looks as if the move away from delicious was not so astute after all.
        > I agree with Elizabeth - oh for the good old days :-)
        > amitiés
        > ElizabethA

      • ElizabethA
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 13, 2011
          Elizabeth - thank you so much for taking the time to reply [:)]
          I obviously need to check my settings on diigo, google and/or Firefox -
          goodness! But there's definitely no automatic logout at present (I've
          just spent the W/E on my computer !)

          Actually your question "are the students logged in to their own
          accounts" opens a new question for me .. I was going to say "yes"
          because we work wifi in class, (I have 18 netbooks in a plugged in
          mobile cupboard, and the other teachers haven't got wise on their
          potential yet !) so although our wifi connection no longer goes
          through a VPN, access to the internet is of course pasword protected,
          that's why I was going to say yes - but in fact I guess you mean are
          they logged in to their Google account .... I don't think so, but that's
          something I'll have to observe next term - thanks

          As for your last question ... I checked it out .... and the words were
          "makes it hard not to long for ..." [;)]
          so from one here and now Elizabeth to another
          bye - and thanks

          --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Elizabeth
          Hanson-Smith" <ehansonsmi@...> wrote:

          > Hi ElizabethA--
          >
          > I use Diigo quite frequently, and sign in using my Google Id for my
          personal account, and a separate ID and PW for the CALL_IS_VSL account.
          I added the Diigo toolbar to Firefox on some of my desktops, and use the
          Diigolet toolbar on my netbook and laptop (takes less real estate). I
          have a gmail account, but don't use it frequently.

          > So I can't figure out where the problem is for you? I find that Diigo
          automatically signs me out at least daily, usually after an hour or so,
          as does Google. (I'd rather stay signed in but it is safer this way.)
          Maybe if you use the Diigo toolbar in your browser it would behave for
          you? (I am using Firefox/Mozilla on an iMac Intel OS X.5.) And I do
          think it is wise to sign out of sites like Yahoo and Google before going
          anywhere else.

          > It is indeed interesting that students in a class will hit different
          starting lists/pages when they do the same Google search. Are they (or
          some of them) signed in to their own accounts when they use the search
          function? I agree with the interview Bee sent--there is already too much
          personalization of the Internet, and we are becoming dumber because of
          it!

          > Was it me who longed for the good ole days, or did you mean Bee? I am
          a here-and-nower, as much as possible!

          > Cheers--
          > --ElizabethHS
          >

          > --- In evonline2002_webheads@yahoogroups.com, "ElizabethA"
          eanne_grenoble@ wrote:

          > > Thanks B for bringing Eli Pariser to the Webheads - I just watched
          his 8 minute Ted Talk too which someone may also have mentioned.

          > > My new problemis that I cannot manage to disconnect my diigo account
          from google. (...)
          > > amiti�s
          > > ElizabethA

        • Vance
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 16, 2011
            I just came across another On the Media podcast on this topic

            http://www.onthemedia.org/2011/jun/17/echo-chamber-revisited/

            Vance